Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

a Run Lola Run disscusion thread (no spoiler tags)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-20-04, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just watched this for the first time last night. I really liked the idea of showing the same story 3 times, each time with the opposite thing happening each time. I think that if it wasn't told more then once, then this movie wouldn't get nearly all the praise it does get. I noticed several references from this movie to Alias (the red hair, the style of the show, the techno music). anyone notice at the very begining of the movie, the subtitles were a few seconds off. it corrected it self after the opening credits. Anyone else think "its over already?" or "what the f*** was that" when you see Lola get shot after the 25 min mark.

Can someone explain the whole thing about her and her boyfriend in bed together talking about wanting to die.
Old 01-20-04, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: a Run Lola Run disscusion thread (no spoiler tags)

Originally posted by Rypro 525
. . . I think that if it wasn't told more then once, then this movie wouldn't get nearly all the praise it does get.
I think you're missing the point. The plot is basic, typical, ridiculous in its coincidences (intentionally). The meat of the movie is the structure. In Run Lola Run, style is content. The characterizations come from the repetitions and the actors' efforts, not the script.

That said, I find the movie immensely enjoyable. It moves at a lightning pace, the music is killer, and Franka Potente really centers the film, I can't keep my eyes off her. And for all its consideration about coincidences and fate and love there's a self-consciousness that says that Tykwer is enjoying the exercise as much as the audience, and doesn't feel the need to weigh it down with out-of-place seriousness.

I noticed several references from this movie to Alias (the red hair, the style of the show, the techno music).
I hope you mean that Alias echoes elements of Run Lola Run and not the other way around.

Can someone explain the whole thing about her and her boyfriend in bed together talking about wanting to die.
It's filler, time to take a breath before the next installment. Add that the actors are particularly good in these moments and the characterizations really benefit from this. Does it take place before or after the events shown? Is it the two of them conversing inbetween time and space? Does it matter?
Old 01-20-04, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
To me, in addition to being a frenetic chase film, it is somewhat of a metaphysical discussion on how the tiniest actions or decisions we can take can have huge, potentially life-shattering movies.
This movie was something special, and I did something I had never done before this movie: I rented it from Netflix, watched it one Friday night when my wife was out; loved it so much, I made her watch it with me the following Saturday night. Then returned it and bought it. I don't re-watch movies much, especially within 24 hours.
But you're right, it doesn't make itself too serious and 'heavy', and that's a large part of its appeal. Sometimes, just like in life, we don't think about the actions we take, and that's what the movie is excellent at portraying.
Awesome movie, and I really like Franka Potente.
And yes, I did think 'WTF?' that first time. Then after a few minutes I was like, Oh...Cool!
Old 01-20-04, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
This movie rocked!
Old 01-20-04, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I rather enjoyed the movie. I think it was most likely due to it being so different from what one normally saw over here. It was one of the first DVDs I purchased.
Old 01-20-04, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't need to see the rest of the movie after she runs out of the house the first time coz that first sequence is just awesome.
Old 01-20-04, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
one question, do we as an audience know ahead of time, about the odd structure, or did it seem like an average movie, when advertised.
Old 01-21-04, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't think of a more extreme instance of night-and-day from one director for me... I was quite eager to see Run Lola Run, especially after seeing the trailer. It looked like my kind of movie! It looked great. I did see it in the theater (I presume most people got their first viewing on video). Well, I absolutely despised the movie. I was itching to get up and leave before an hour was up (and it's not much longer than that)!

So, here's the night-and-day. I saw Tykwer's Heaven (not at the theater, though, on DVD) and it was instantly my favorite film of the year.

(Before anyone asks me to explain why I hated Lola so much... I really don't know exactly. Every single moment rubbed me the wrong way.)
Old 01-21-04, 12:13 AM
Banned

It's a gimmicky movie. Enjoyable, but gimicky. The soundtrack is by far the best thing about this film.
Old 01-21-04, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

one question, do we as an audience know ahead of time, about the odd structure, or did it seem like an average movie, when advertised.
I never saw an advertisement for the movie, only some word of mouth. Nobody tipped me off to the structure of it though. I think the referee at the beginning kind of sets you up to expect anything though. See my sig.
Old 01-21-04, 09:27 AM

Originally posted by renaldow
I never saw an advertisement for the movie, only some word of mouth. Nobody tipped me off to the structure of it though. I think the referee at the beginning kind of sets you up to expect anything though. See my sig.
Hi,

I am sure you all will forgive me posting in here. I just have to. Check out my username. Self-explanatory. Check out my sig. Very similar to renaldow. I have found a soul-mate.

Run Lola Run (or Lola Rennt as the original german title) is one of my favorite movies. I'm sorry that you didn't like it, shill66, but as you have discovered Heaven, the latest movie by Tykwer, I will forgive you.

For years I have been telling people that life is one big succession of coincidences. The smallest thing can change your life, for good or for worse. That is what this movie is about.

Yours,
LolaRennt.
Old 01-21-04, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That's hard to answer, being years removed from when I first saw it in the theater. I think I knew it's structure wasn't linear, but that's about it. As soon as the movie cut back (to the phone falling in the cradle, right?) I was onto the game (also the opening monologue: "The ball is round, the game lasts 90 minutes. Everything else is theoretical." sets a rightfully vague tone).
Old 01-21-04, 01:32 PM

This movie is fantastic! The hubby (dtcarson) watched (as he stated above) and then made me watch it. I loved it. The music is amazing. That's my genre of music anyway. But ever since seeing that movie I've been a HUGE fan of Franka Potente. I love her. We also rented Anatomy, and I've seen The Bourne Identity 2 or 3 times now. Fantastic! Now I want to watch it again but we have X-Men2 (actually from my parents' Netflix and out for several weeks now) and Bruce Almighty from Netflix to watch first.