DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   ? about Peter Jackson's future (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/342282-about-peter-jacksons-future.html)

AOD 01-20-04 01:52 AM

? about Peter Jackson's future

Wondering if you all though Peter Jackson will be given some A-List directing roles because of his gargantuan success of the LOTR trilogy. It seems as though he wasn't given anything major before this (except MAYBE "The Frighteners"). I know he has a remake of King Kong in the works, but how good will that be or how far will it take him. The thread is not meant to be LOTR specific, just wondering if you think he has it in him to be the next (dare I say) Lucas or Spielberg. Don't get me wrong. I am a hardcore Lucas and Spielberg fan. Just wanted to know what you all think. All IMHO.

Crocker Jarmen 01-20-04 02:14 AM

I'm curious too about how Jackson's career will be viewed years from now. As he is now, he's someone who's directed excellent movies of differnt genres, style and tone. He reminds me of someone like Stanely Kubrick, whoe made movies that seemed very different from one another. If I knew nothing about him, I'd be surprised if someone showed me Dead Alive, Heavenly Creatures and Lord of the Rings and then informed me they were all made by the same director. I think it'll be interesting to see what he makes in the next ten years.

Jackskeleton 01-20-04 02:24 AM

As mentioned above, Jackson has a very good way of making different genres and making them well. I'm sure the studios will give him the top of the list scripts to work on, it's up to jackson to pick and choose the good ones to work with.

TCG 01-20-04 03:39 AM

I think he already is the next Lucas. both made a great, massive, money-making trilogy, before which they had made smaller but critically well-received movies.

But PJ still a while to go before reaching Spielberg's status, in my eyes. I believe, though, that KK will be a tremendous success, financially, and critically.

Calculon 01-20-04 03:50 AM

Originally posted by TCG
I think he already is the next Lucas.
So I guess Jackson's The Hobbit is going to really suck hard. :)

Seriously, he's made a lot of money for his studio, so he can make whatever kind of films he wants to for a while.

Mittman 01-20-04 07:40 AM

Originally posted by Calculon
So I guess Jackson's The Hobbit is going to really suck hard. :)
Only if he films the entire movie in front of a blue screen . . .

clappj 01-20-04 09:06 AM

What he really needs to do is make a big-budget Dead Alive: Part 2. :D

Cusm 01-20-04 10:09 AM

He needs to step into some original scripts, remaking KK and LOTR is great, but I need to see something original to get a better idea.

And Lucas has only 2 good movies to his credit as director, American Grafitti and ANH, and 2 decent movies (Ep I and II) so PJ is not like Lucas, now if PJ starts wrinting good scripts and producing more horrible cult classics then he can be the next Lucas.

talemyn 01-20-04 10:35 AM

Originally posted by Cusm
And Lucas has only 2 good movies to his credit as director, American Grafitti and ANH, and 2 decent movies (Ep I and II) so PJ is not like Lucas, now if PJ starts wrinting good scripts and producing more horrible cult classics then he can be the next Lucas.
That brings up an interesting thought . . . are we comparing PJ and Lucas as directors or overall career? If it's just as directors, than writing scripts shouldn't have anything to do with it . . .

resinrats 01-20-04 11:28 AM

I agree with Cusm. PJ should work on an origonal movie idea to get a good idea on how good he is. LOTR was famous already and would probably get good business no matter who directed it. Same with Kong.

ArchibaldTuttle 01-20-04 12:16 PM

I somewhat agree with clappj, I wouldn't mind seeing him get back to his roots and make a zombie flic, but I like low budget practical effects gore, not huge budget cgi stuff

as for PJ's career I will wait for 15 years and let you know, but as of now, I really like or love every movie he has made that I have seen, and would be interested in him doing something totally original like many people have already said

BlackBeauty92 01-20-04 12:24 PM

Originally posted by clappj
What he really needs to do is make a big-budget Dead Alive: Part 2. :D
great idea... then let the studio & MPAA cut the whole 120 minutes running time down to 12 minutes due to its excesive goreness

i miss the old days :(

oh, might as well make Bad Taste 2: Stinker

lesterlong 01-20-04 02:23 PM

Kubrick? No, Kubrick never directed any movies that sucked hard like Jackson did pre-LOTR.

Alien Redrum 01-20-04 04:23 PM

Originally posted by lesterlong
Kubrick? No, Kubrick never directed any movies that sucked hard like Jackson did pre-LOTR.
Um. Sure. Kubrick was a genius and never made a bad movie yada yada yada yada. :rolleyes:

jaeufraser 01-20-04 04:35 PM

Peter Jackson I surmise is not ever going to be just a director for hire. He wasn't before LoTR, he's not going to be post LoTR. For the time being, he's on top of the heap. I see his career being this: he can come up with the projects he wants to do, and he's going to get lots of money to do them. 150 million dollars with tons of creative control. That's what King Kong is (and King Kong is not some studio request...it's Peter Jackson's dream project, the movie he was trying to make before LoTR came along).

If Peter's commercial viability ever fades, I surmise he will continue to do his thing...just on a smaller scale.

Hopefully his love of genre stays. I love the idea that a director like this might make a movie like Dead Alive or any of his splatstick films. But truthfully I also imagine he will move towards more serious works cause...well that's what these successful people do. But hopefully he retains his genre sensibility.

Hullo 01-20-04 04:40 PM

Um. Sure. Kubrick was a genius and never made a bad movie yada yada yada yada
Space Odyssey, Full Metal Jacket, Dr.Strangelove, Clockwork Orange....yada yada yada

My take on Jackson

LOTR-good, not great in my opinion. Hopefully he does something original after KK.

sundog 01-20-04 04:46 PM

Originally posted by Alien Redrum
Um. Sure. Kubrick was a genius and never made a bad movie yada yada yada yada.
Well, you're half right . . .

As for Peter Jackson, I'd say his sense of the spectacle is his strongest point (not unlike a Lucas) and I'm interested to see how far he can take it before he starts repeating himself. He seems to be content to operate in the realm of fantasy, even Heavenly Creatures banks on that aspect. Strip that away and see how far his directing chops take him.

I'd like to see him go on some tangents, but something can be said for sticking with what you excel at (re: Terry Gilliam). On the other hand when a director reigns in his idiosyncracies it can be stunning (David Lynch and The Straight Story).

onebyone 01-20-04 05:56 PM

I love Peter Jackson's pre-LOTR's movies. Love is an understatement of how I feel about Dead Alive. I would love to see him do more of that, but fear I never will again. **Sniff**

Still, as another poster noted, he has shown himself to be a master director of all kinds of genres. I am sure he will do fine.

And he is no Kubrick. Thank goodness.

AOD 01-20-04 08:18 PM

Wow, great responses. And I happen to think Jackson did make a good movie before LOTR--The Frighteners. I enjoyed it and many people would like to see an SE or CE of this on DVD.

Can you imagine if both Peter Jackson and Sam Raimi went back to their roots and Co-Directed a horror movie together? I think it would be fantastic. Dead Alive 2 starring Bruce Campbell!

Sunday Morning 01-20-04 09:14 PM

I see big macs and cheescake in his future.

As for movies, probably more of the same. Digital effect enchanced epics. Bring it, peter!

LivingINClip 01-20-04 09:52 PM

I know Peter Jackson has expressed interest in the up and coming horror director Eli Roth, so maybe he will have something to do with a future Eli Roth project like rumors have suggested. Maybe Jackson producing it? Who knows.

Terrell 01-20-04 10:14 PM

And Lucas has only 2 good movies to his credit as director, American Grafitti and ANH, and 2 decent movies (Ep I and II) so PJ is not like Lucas
You're forgetting THX1138, which wasn't a box office success, but was a great movie that got a lot of critical acclaim, and has gone onto become a cult classic. Terrific film! Besides, Lucas has only directed 5 films. I personally would love to see what Lucas could have done had he not stopped directing when he was at his peak. He was at the top of the game back in the 70s. Then his wife deserted him and his child, and took half of his empire. That devastated him. So he stopped directing and raised his children. The nearly 20 year layoff really hurt him directing wise. It's not like riding a bike. Directing is a skill you continue to hone and build on. Lucas can still direct. The problem is he needs a screenwriter. He also tries to take on way too much responsibility. He gets a great screenwriter and allows others to take some of the responsibility, he can do wonders.

As for screenwriting. Lucas is not a good screenwriter. He's a great writer of stories though. I have no idea how Peter Jackson is in this area. Both have their strengths and weaknesses.

As for Jackson becoming the next Lucas or Spielberg in business, the answer isno. For one thing, they are both multi-billionaires. Spielberg worth 3 billion and Lucas worth 4 billion. They both own their own filmmaking studios and pretty much have complete autonomy. Both wield an inordinate amount of power. Lucas also bankrolls and owns his own movies and the merchanding rights that go with them, something Peter can't do. Not to mention he owns arguably the most successful and prestigious effects and sound post-production facilities in the world. Also throw Lucas Learning and LucasArts into that.

Studios nowadays aren't going to hand over ownership or merchandising rights to movies. Lucas taught them that lesson when he gave up his salary for ownership when he was making Star Wars. Studios wised up. The only way that will happen now is if you can fully fund your own film.

Having said all of this, I do see Peter Jackson becoming a much more well known and powerful player. Of course, one flop and you never know. But I expect he'll succeed very well.

Jepthah 01-21-04 01:48 AM

I think he really will do smaller films again after King Kong and possibly The Hobbit. I don't think he could be interested in doing nothing but blockbusters for the rest of his life. We shall see. :)

Supermallet 01-21-04 01:52 AM

I found out about Peter Jackson when Dead Alive came out, and since that happened, I went back and saw Meet The Feebles and Bad Taste. I love every movie Peter Jackson has done from Bad Taste through Return of the King, and that includes Forgotten Silver. I think he's better than Lucas AND Spielberg. I remember reading in an interview that after King Kong, Jackson wants to make another zombie movie. I can't remember where I read it, though, so maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, here's hoping.

LivingINClip 01-21-04 02:15 AM

Bad Taste? Great!
Meet the Feebles? Alright.
Dead Alive? Fantastic!
The Frighteners? Excellent!
LOTR:Trilogy? Damn near perfect.

His resume shows he has talent. While I disagree with 'King Kong' being his next project (how many versions of such a simple story do we need?), I'm sure he'll do it justice. I would like to see him go back to his roots and do some kind of horror film. His horror films was a blast to watch and I can only imagine what he would do with a budget.