DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Teacher's Pet BOMBS worse than I imagined (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/341765-teachers-pet-bombs-worse-than-i-imagined.html)

Seantn 01-17-04 12:11 PM

Teacher's Pet BOMBS worse than I imagined

Ouch. The animated film "Teacher's Pet" is playing on over 2000 screens and it made about 400,000 dollars on Friday night. Opening weekend of a little over a million dollars.

rushmore223 01-17-04 12:30 PM

Maybe this will stop the flood of Nickelodeon movies. It seems like they turn every one of their series into a movie.

HistoryProf 01-17-04 12:37 PM

i'm seeing this today with my daughter....it's at 80% on RottenTomatoes too....

CreatureX 01-17-04 12:57 PM

Originally posted by rushmore223
Maybe this will stop the flood of Nickelodeon movies. It seems like they turn every one of their series into a movie.
I thought this was a Disney movie?

Corvin 01-17-04 12:58 PM

It might have opened wide, and perhaps I'm only speaking for myself, but I didn't see any advertisements for this one at all.

shaun3000 01-17-04 01:06 PM

Nathan Lane was on Conan, last night, and I believe he said something along the lines of the show flopped on the Disney Channel, so they decided to make it into a movie.

Indy Jones Fan 01-17-04 01:27 PM

Maybe this will stop the flood of Nickelodeon movies.

I believe he said something along the lines of the show flopped on Nickelodeon
Teacher's Pet is a Disney movie, not Nickelodeon.

angryyoungman 01-17-04 01:46 PM

Well I can guess one reason this bombed: a horrible trailer. The trailer was attached to most everything I saw over the past few months.

Personally, I thought it didn't make much sense, that it wasn't funny at all (I did keep in mind that it was a kids/family movie), and worse, the trailer seemed to go on forever even though nothing much seemed to have happened (or been explained).

I heard audible groans in the theater and a lot of bewildered looks as people tried to sort it all out, and of course, there weren't a lot of children in the theater to get excited about it.

kurupt 01-17-04 01:48 PM

Yeah, it's Disney and the weak box office does not suprise me as there was almost no promotion for it. It didn't look like a traditional Disney animated feature, but the writing was very sharp. Probably the best written and funniest Disney film (non-Pixar, of course) since The Emperor's New Groove, although I guess that's not saying much. I would definately recommend this though.

shaun3000 01-17-04 02:37 PM

Originally posted by Indy Jones Fan
Teacher's Pet is a Disney movie, not Nickelodeon.
Who said Nickelodeon? I certainly didn't say Nickelodeon. ;)

Panda Phil 01-17-04 02:48 PM

I'm guessing people were turned off by the non-traditional Disney animation style. A shame really. I'll probably pick it up on DVD just out of curiosity though.

Just more proof that it Hollywood it just doesn't pay to be innovative. Yet another nail is added to the coffin of 2D animation. :(

RichC2 01-17-04 02:50 PM

Too bad, I actually had a little interest in this flick, not from the trailer just because it looks like a trippy "Cat Soup"-style take on Pinocchio. The only sticking point was when I found out it was a musical, yeah, not happening.

But the surprising amount of good reviews and the complaints in the negative ones (which are reasons I'd like the flick) make me want to see it, shame it's flopping, just another hit for 2d animation (tho from the look, a little less than "traditional").

BigPete 01-17-04 03:32 PM

Whenever I see the artwork, I'm reminded of Duckman. I don't know if I would be able to tolerate the contrast between the two styles for a full 80 min.

Supermallet 01-17-04 03:42 PM

Originally posted by kurupt
Yeah, it's Disney and the weak box office does not suprise me as there was almost no promotion for it. It didn't look like a traditional Disney animated feature, but the writing was very sharp. Probably the best written and funniest Disney film (non-Pixar, of course) since The Emperor's New Groove, although I guess that's not saying much. I would definately recommend this though.
Hey, The Emperor's New Groove is a great movie! Very funny film.

I have a feeling Disney intentionally didn't promote this as much as they should have, because of their plans to drop 2-D animation. They wanted a scapegoat, and here it is.

milo bloom 01-17-04 04:32 PM

I'd heard of the show, but never watched, and I'd seen a few reviews that really liked it. Maybe it's just not a big enough brand name?

And my wife and I love The Emperor's New Groove.

Shonn 01-17-04 04:46 PM

I hated the television show (animation style sucked and annoying characters) so I doubt I'd like the movie. Why would they think a movie would make money when people wouldn't watch it for free on TV?

kurupt 01-17-04 05:22 PM

Hey, The Emperor's New Groove is a great movie! Very funny film.
Yeah, I meant that I loved The Emperor's New Groove, but I haven't really liked any of the 2D stuff since. Up until the mid to late 90's, everything that Disney released felt as if it were created by animation geniuses and written by top shelf writers - even the ones that the public didn't love like the criminally underrated Black Cauldron. The last few just feel thrown together. Teacher's Pet was different though. Not traditional, by any means, but very entertaining nonetheless. It's sad that it got absolutely no marketing push.

Corvin 01-17-04 05:52 PM

Originally posted by BigPete
Whenever I see the artwork, I'm reminded of Duckman. I don't know if I would be able to tolerate the contrast between the two styles for a full 80 min.
While, I've heard the running time is closer to sixty minutes. So maybe you're in luck.

Seeker 01-17-04 11:36 PM

so they took a long episode and made it a movie --- i guess they're TRYING to kill 2-d

Corvin 01-17-04 11:58 PM

Self-fulfillingprophesies rule.

DodgingCars 01-18-04 12:30 AM

I never liked the show, so the movie (even with good reviews) draws no interest from me.

Tarnower 01-18-04 09:25 AM

What is up with all this Nickelodeon and/or Disney Channel crap starting to flood the theaters? I went to the movies yesterday and had about 45 minutes to kill before my showing started. I walked around the lobby to glance at the Coming Soon posters. Out of about 24 posters (it's a huge theater!), almost half feature stars like Lindsey Lohan, Hilary Duff, Spongebob Squarepants, and many others with all-teen casts. I mean, this type of entertainment has always been a staple of moviegoing, but it seems like studios are going way overboard with it.

HistoryProf 01-18-04 11:54 AM

well I saw it yesterday with my almost 5 yo daughter, and have to give it a tentative thumbs up. It clocks in at 69 minutes so it flies right by, and she was rapt from the get go...it was fairly entertaining for me, but nothing special. All in all a perfect saturday matinee on a cold ass day :)

oh, and for a throwaway movie, Kelsey Grammer, Nathan Lane, Jerry Stiller, Megan Mullally, Paul Reubens, Debra Jo Rupp, and Jay Thomas is a pretty darned decent cast....

fumanstan 01-18-04 12:00 PM

The movie has been ridiculously lacking of promotion. If it wasn't for random clicking around trailer sites, i never would have come across it. I've heard mostly good things about it, and i like the animation. Although the 60-70 minute run time has got me wary about seeing it in theaters.

Brain Stew 01-18-04 12:46 PM

I saw the show a few times and can safely say it sucks.

Can Nathan Lane do any acting without making the character appear to be FLAMING?