DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   DIE HARD or SPEED? The better film? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/341694-die-hard-speed-better-film.html)

smirnoffski 01-17-04 12:01 AM

DIE HARD or SPEED? The better film?

Both of these films are noted for the reinvention of the action genre and have spawned many imitators.
While some may consider SPEED to be an offshoot of what DIE HARD initiated, it nonetheless has enough originality to stand on its own.

So which one is the better movie overall; all things considered?

DIE HARD or SPEED?

Vote in my other polls if you have not:

American actors better at British accents OR British better at American accents?

Ben Stiller VS. Adam Sandler

LEAST liked Disney 2D animated film of the recent era?

Do you view FILM CREDITS?

BEST Robin Hood film?

BEST submarine film?

:)

TCG 01-17-04 12:33 AM

Not even close, Die Hard all the way.

"Yippy-kay-yay-************!"

jaeufraser 01-17-04 01:01 AM

Speed is a fun action movie, but Die Hard is the king. It's not even a fair comparison, and while i appreciate the subjectivity of film criticism, those who voted for Speed...you are WRONG!!! -wink-

D-Ball 01-17-04 01:30 AM

Not even close. Die Hard is better.

Deftones 01-17-04 01:32 AM

Die Hard by a long shot....

B.A. 01-17-04 01:39 AM

Die Hard

chanster 01-17-04 02:14 AM

No contest. If anything Speed took Die Hard and put it on a bus.

TomOpus 01-17-04 02:25 AM

Speed is an entertaining movie in it's own right...

But Die Hard is in a class of it's own. I could watch it once a week.

MrX 01-17-04 02:39 AM

Die Hard

jekbrown 01-17-04 02:57 AM

speed is crap... every time Reeves tries to look all tough he just comes off looking like a pansy. If I was his arch nemesis, he'd surely get me cause I'd be rolling around on the ground laughing at his "tough guy" expression. lol!!

j

Shannon Nutt 01-17-04 05:03 AM

No brainer.

Now I have a machine gun. Ho - Ho - Ho!

Rivero 01-17-04 06:10 AM

Is this a joke? Die Hard puts Speed to shame in every possible way. Die Hard vs The Matrix or The Killer would have been slightly more interesting poll.

BlackBeauty92 01-17-04 07:13 AM

tough choice...

SPEED got great action scenes, great camera plays, fantastic core (Mark Mancina's best), good humors from Jeff Daniel & Bullock... but the humor only last till half of the movie (before Jeff's character killed)

DIE HARD got great action scene, decent camera & score, but allot of good consistant humors from Willis, that Al Powel guy, Allan Rickman (did i say his name right?)

so, in the end, DIE HARD lead in a very small point over SPEED due to consistant humors trough out the movie (beginning to end)

:)

QuiGonJosh 01-17-04 07:52 AM

Their about the same to me...

SilverScreen 01-17-04 09:20 AM

You gotta be kidding.... absolutely no comparison...

Die Hard :thumbsup: :banana: :thumbsup: :banana:

Speed :thmbsdwn: :frankie: :thmbsdwn: :frankie:

"A$$HOLE?? I'm not the one who just got butt****ed on national TV, Dwayne!"

PalmerJoss 01-17-04 09:36 AM

There is no comparison. Die Hard is one of the greatest action flicks ever made, while Speed is merely a mediocre action film. Alan Rickman was a much much better villain than Dennis Hopper, and Bruce Willis makes a much better hero than Keanu "whoa" Reeves.

theneobez 01-17-04 10:55 AM

I love both, but Die Hard is clearly the better film.

Speed is also a kick ass action flick though.

Breakfast with Girls 01-17-04 11:17 AM

Originally posted by TCG
Not even close, Die Hard all the way.

"Yippy-kay-yay-<i>Mr. Falcon</i>!"

Edited.

Troy Stiffler 01-17-04 11:39 AM

Both are really exciting. But I like Die Hard more. Speed probably wouldn't exist if it weren't for Die Hard.

I miss <b>good</b> action movies. *sign*

Michael T Hudson 01-17-04 11:58 AM

Die Hard by a mile.

Painkiller 01-17-04 12:26 PM

Die Hard may be the greatest pure action film ever.

Doughboy 01-17-04 12:40 PM

Die Hard is the superior film, although I've never considered it the classic movie most people make it out to be thanks to the inclusion of Paul Gleason's idiot police captain. If they had replaced his character with Dennis Franz from the second film(who was an a-hole, but at least had an IQ in triple digits), then you could make a case for it being the greatest action film ever made.

Say what you will about Speed(and I do love that movie to this day), but at least everyone in that flick had a brain and actually used it.

RyoHazuki 01-17-04 12:48 PM

"I'm gonna kill you............(punch) I'm gonna cook ya......... (punch)......... and I'm gonna eat ya!"

Die Hard.

LasVegasMichael 01-17-04 01:04 PM

Die Hard is much superior to the "sequal" Die Hard on a Bus.

Die Hard did not have the overtone of "romance" that Speed inevitably has (between Bullock and Reeves), and really should have ended when the bus exploded (I do believe that even the writer admits that on the commentary to Speed-Correct me if I am wrong).

The funny thing is that even the screenwriter and producer rip on the film in thier commentary, admitting that the characters are "1 dimensional at best". This makes for a brutally funny commentary, though.

I enjoy both films and own both, don't get me wrong, but to compare the two is, shall we say, unfair, for lack of a better term.

--LVM

jasonbird 01-17-04 01:25 PM

Bought Die Hard and don't own Speed. Not even close IMHO.

Jason