DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Meet The Fokkers Parents Casting (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/341549-meet-fokkers-parents-casting.html)

rushmore223 01-16-04 02:29 AM

Meet The Fokkers Parents Casting

Saw this at Countingdown

January 15, 2004 — Ben Stiller told USA Today that filming for Meet the Fockers will probably not start in March. Stiller is looking for his onscreen character's parents, and apparently, he wants Dustin Hoffman to play his "bumbling" pop, and Barbra Streisand to play his sex therapist mother.

-end

How the hell can he be trying to cast Dustin Hoffman over his real dad, Jerry Stiller?! The interplay between Father and son and for that matter Jerry Stiller and Deniro would be incredible. Why is he throwing away this opportunity?

Also, if Streisand is cast, I will not go see this movie. I loathe her with every fiber of my being.

Not sure who I would pick for the mother, but definitely not her.

Jackskeleton 01-16-04 02:41 AM

Jerry stiller plays the best tv dad, I would have loved to see jerry stiller in the role.

Crocker Jarmen 01-16-04 04:39 AM

Y'know, as much as I like Jerry Stiller, I don't know if I could see him as Greg Focker's dad. Hoffman sounds like a much better choice.

RyoHazuki 01-16-04 07:14 AM

Hoffman :thumbsup:

Streisand :yack:

Mazje 01-16-04 09:02 AM

If Deniro is in this one (which I'm assuming he is), then without question, Stiller's father should be played by Al Pacino.

steebo777 01-16-04 09:06 AM

Originally posted by darthlurker
If Deniro is in this one (which I'm assuming he is), then without question, Stiller's father should be played by Al Pacino.
Good call :thumbsup:

Lara Means 01-16-04 09:09 AM

I still don't understand this hatred towards Barbra Streisand. What the **** does she do, or has ever done that makes people want to vomit at the mere mention of her? Is it because she's Jewish?? What is it?!?

DIVX Rulz 01-16-04 09:49 AM

Originally posted by Lara Means
I still don't understand this hatred towards Barbra Streisand. What the **** does she do, or has ever done that makes people want to vomit at the mere mention of her? Is it because she's Jewish?? What is it?!?

Because she's Jewish? Aren't Ben Stiller and Dustin Hoffman Jewish? Why would you not like someone because of that?. Well I cant speak for anyone else but the reason I hate Barbara Streisand is the same reason I hate someone like Julia Roberts. There's just something about them that really bugs me. And they act like they are so important and better than everyone else and that are happy that the world has discovered how amazing they are.

B.A. 01-16-04 10:42 AM

I like his decision to go after Hoffman, I just think he can do better than Babs. Why not Bette Midler? He could make his mother a hellacious bitch - she can play that role well.

rennervision 01-16-04 10:44 AM

When I heard of the planned sequel, I had always assumed Jerry Stiller was going to do this. Can't imagine who else to pick. Christopher Walken maybe? I would want someone who will have great interaction with DeNiro.

sundog 01-16-04 10:46 AM

How about Ben Stiller's (adoptive) parents from "Flirting with Disaster" — George Segal and Mary Tyler Moore . . .

hgar78 01-16-04 10:48 AM

good call B.A. hist, midler would be a terrific choice! :D:thumbsup: especially alongside hoffman...

movieking 01-16-04 11:04 AM

I can't see Jerry Stiller playing a character that would name his son "Gaylord Focker". I imagine them as being hippy-ish, at least in the past, and that is one image that I don't get from Jerry Stiller (who is on one of the best comedies on TV - The King of Queens)

lesterlong 01-16-04 12:04 PM

Ha, Al Pacino would be great.

rushmore223 01-16-04 12:07 PM

Originally posted by B.A.hist
I like his decision to go after Hoffman, I just think he can do better than Babs. Why not Bette Midler? He could make his mother a hellacious bitch - she can play that role well.
Great Call! Your true calling is that of a casting director, now, quit your job and get out there!

jaeufraser 01-16-04 03:24 PM

Hoffman would be a good move. Pacino...as suggested before...that would be classic.

Regarding Striesand...I did enjoy her turn as Mecha Streisand where she destroyed South Park.

necros 01-16-04 03:25 PM

I'm not a fan of streisand but I could see her as Mrs Fokker, if it's done as like a joke and plays off her snootyness it could be pretty funny

RyoHazuki 01-16-04 04:53 PM

You are absolutley correct. I prefer to see movies without Jews and by that same measure I wish Gays, Negros, Latinos, Muslims, Women, Midgets, and just guys from Montana would stop being in my good old fashioned American Cinema.

Giantrobo 01-16-04 10:16 PM

I was wondering about this project. It seems like it's taking forever.

Michael T Hudson 01-16-04 10:19 PM

I wonder if they chose Al if it would be like Heat where you could never seem them both in the same scene.

QuiGonJosh 01-16-04 10:23 PM

the movies gonna blow anyway...so whats the point...but Jerry Stiller would be a good reason to see it...sucks...

cruzness 01-16-04 11:25 PM

She is NOT a great actress, she is not a good director, she is not a GREAT singer, and she is not attractive ( c'mon her schnozz almost makes her look cross-eyed) . However, she believes she is all of these things and so do her fans. What it boils down to is her self promotion and the hype surrounding her is overblown.

Michael Corvin 01-16-04 11:43 PM

Originally posted by cruzness
She is NOT a great actress, she is not a good director, she is not a GREAT singer, and she is not attractive ( c'mon her schnozz almost makes her look cross-eyed) . However, she believes she is all of these things and so do her fans. What it boils down to is her self promotion and the hype surrounding her is overblown.
I have to disagree. I am no fan of her music, I mostly listen to hard rock, prog rock, and classic rock. But even I can admit she has an amazing voice. Anyone who has had any professional vocal training would probably agree.

Now as far as the acting/directing stuff, I can't comment due to only having seen one of her movies.

jekbrown 01-17-04 03:17 AM

shes still an elitist whore. not as bad as Jane Fonda on the list of hollywoodites to hate, but pretty much #2 on that list.

j

Giantrobo 01-17-04 03:36 AM

Originally posted by jekbrown
shes still an elitist whore.

I agree.

She -seems- to think...and many treat her as if...she's the greatest thing to ever walk the earth.