Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Soundtrack gripe...

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Soundtrack gripe...

Old 01-15-04, 09:05 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Soundtrack gripe...

Man...I love the soundtrack...outside of one thing...the orchestration for the Ride of the Rohirrim is no where to be found...the track Ride of the Rohirrim is instead the music from the part where Aragorn and Theoden arrive at the encampment...The Ride is my fave part from the movie more or less and the music is a big reason why...it sucks that they did not incorporate that piece of music on the CD...I mean...the track Ride of the Rohirrim should be from the part where the Rohirrim charge! AGH!
Old 01-15-04, 09:32 AM

An extended (supposedly DVD audio) soundtrack is coming out this year.
Old 01-15-04, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i suspect you'd like the two towers soundtrack then...if you don't already have it.
Old 01-15-04, 12:35 PM
Banned

Oh theres an extended soundtrack...and DVD audio...NICE! Will it kinda be like the Phantom Menace Ultimate Edition 2-CD set?
Old 01-15-04, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Already there are plans for an unabridged soundtrack boxset, or so it is rumored...$$$$...
Old 01-15-04, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
Oh theres an extended soundtrack...and DVD audio...NICE! Will it kinda be like the Phantom Menace Ultimate Edition 2-CD set?
If it's hacked up like that POC, I hope not.
Old 01-15-04, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jepthah
Already there are plans for an unabridged soundtrack boxset, or so it is rumored...$$$$...
that would work swell for me.
Old 01-15-04, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Jepthah
From the mouth of Howard Shore:

http://www.soundtrack.net/features/article/?id=111

With so many themes in the film trilogy, how did you keep track of it all?

Oh, you have to come see my notes. It's a massive project, since you're dealing with 12 hours of music! The idea of motifs, related to characters, was all very carefully constructed and I kept good logs of it all. I have themes and motifs from all three films.

Doug Adams is writing a book on the music of The Lord of the Rings. Other books have come out, dealing with the production design or different aspects of the film. This one will go into a lot of detail about the use of thematic material, the motifs, how the orchestration relates to those particular compositions, how the different cultures were created (Lothlórien, Rivendell, the Shire, Moria, Rohan, Gondor, etc.). It goes into a lot of depth about that, as well as the folk instruments that were used for the different cultures.

We also include the text, and the poems - Tolkien's words that were sung by the chorus and the soloists. It's the most detailed writing on the piece - I'm hoping it will come out around the time of the box set, when the whole score is released. And that will be the great reading companion to go along with the score.

We've talked about an expanded box set before. Have you thought some more about what it would be comprised of? Would the symphony be in there?

I don't know if the symphony will be part of that - it might. What it essentially will be is all the music from the films.

Which editions: the theatrical releases, or the expanded releases?

Well, that's a good question! Probably both - it's really a matter of how much we can put out. And there will also be a disc of what Peter calls "rarities". These might be pieces that were composed and recorded, on the way to a certain piece, or things that we recorded that weren't in the film. Or a piece with a different orchestration....

So how many discs do you suppose this box set might have?

I don't know - it's conceivable it could be at least 7-9 discs, maybe more! There's easily eleven or twelve hours, if it were complete. I know what people want is the music in the film, so I'm basing it on that premise. Would someone really want all 12 hours?
There's more if you click on the link.
Old 01-15-04, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ohh, boy. Be a completist, Howard. You know the fans can handle it!
Old 01-16-04, 03:16 PM

I want the 12 hours!!
Old 01-19-04, 04:57 AM

That's a LOT of music. Wow.
Old 01-19-04, 05:23 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
At this point, PJ and co. have shown that they really care about quality in all releases related to these films, so if they came out with a 20 disc box set, I'd get it, with full trust that it's 20 discs of music worth hearing. So, I would definitely get a 7-9-12 disc set.
Old 01-19-04, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Suprmallet
At this point, PJ and co. have shown that they really care about quality in all releases related to these films, so if they came out with a 20 disc box set, I'd get it, with full trust that it's 20 discs of music worth hearing. So, I would definitely get a 7-9-12 disc set.
Hopefully. I'm more worried about the record label (Warner Bros) balking at the idea. I'm not too sure if the soundtracks sold that well for them to justify such a set.

But when/if it comes out, I wants it. I needs it.