DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   If they made LOTR as a TV series would you watch it? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/341472-if-they-made-lotr-tv-series-would-you-watch.html)

Regurgitator 01-15-04 06:03 PM

If they made LOTR as a TV series would you watch it?

With the success of the trilogy ending now, would the making of a TV series out of the Lord of the Rings.. about the aftermath or better yet a storyline based on Middle Earth with Melkor in power before the Hobbit story be something everyone would care to watch?

Hobgoblin 01-15-04 06:14 PM

I would like a straight to video version of the scouring of the shire made by Jackson with the original cast, as an addendum to the trilogy set. But it will never happen.

With the LOTR mythology New Line is sitting on an endless goldmine, but unfortunately I have no hopes that they will effectively use it.

daniel18 01-15-04 06:47 PM

Hell no. Now if it was a Silmarillion TV series, that would be a different story.

DGibFen 01-15-04 11:11 PM

Nope. Would ruin the movies. Does anyone even own any kind of TV rights for LOTR, anyways?

I second daniel18 - Silmarillion series would be great. But it would have to stand out from LOTR - most people would expect that Peter Jackson would direct it.

jaeufraser 01-15-04 11:40 PM

No way. There is no way on this green earth that anyone could make a LOTR TV series that even approached 1/100th the quality of the films. I'm sorry, but LoTR was considered unfilmable for years. The idea that a lower budget could bring this world to life is just...well it ain't gonna happen. I'm not saying that these films are only made up of their visuals and scope, but you have to admit that's a large part of what makes them great.

I'd just rather not see it simply because I just imagine it looking like Xena and not being particularly good. Nope, never, don't do it. Jackson making the Hobbit as a theatrical film? That I could go for.

talemyn 01-16-04 01:09 AM

I would if they could do it well, but I don't think that they could.

gcribbs 01-16-04 02:56 AM

I can see it now...

This week on The Shire Frodo and Sam end up locked out of Bag's End right before Aragon shows up for a big royal dinner. A surprise appearance by Gandalf causes a stir in Buckland when he visits Merry and Pippin while Gimli and Legalos compete in a rodent slaying contest.

Special Guest: Treebeard!

Hobgoblin 01-16-04 06:49 AM

Originally posted by gcribbs
I can see it now...

This week on The Shire Frodo and Sam end up locked out of Bag's End right before Aragon shows up for a big royal dinner. A surprise appearance by Gandalf causes a stir in Buckland when he visits Merry and Pippin while Gimli and Legalos compete in a rodent slaying contest.

Special Guest: Treebeard!

There will not be any necessity to make up any new stories like those, as the Sil has a mother-lode of great stories which will take a really long time to exhaust.

gcribbs 01-16-04 12:14 PM

other than a miniseries i do not see a tv series of even the Silmarillion working as a weekly tv series IMO.

Philip Reuben 01-16-04 12:40 PM

I agree with the people who would love to see a Silmarillion TV series. It'd be very difficult though...

(fairly minor spoiler)
Spoiler:
The first few episodes would have to involve lots of exposition to introduce the Valar, who after a relatively short time would then pretty much disappear entirely!

Big Boy Laroux 01-16-04 05:27 PM

there's already a sitcom in the works...

"a hard hobbit to break"

starring frodo and gollum. they stop off in denver in the middle of their quest to live together in an apartment...

Groucho 01-16-04 05:39 PM

Next Week on 'Lord of the Rings: the Series':

-Aragorn finds himself in quite the pickle when he ends up with TWO dates to the prom: Arwen and Eowyn!

-Pippin smokes too much pipeweed and keeps singing "I'm so excited"

-Sam meets a hobbit in a wheelchair, and learns a valuable lesson. "It's true, Master Frodo...he wasn't disabled, he was differently abled." "That's my Sam!" exclaims Frodo.

-Gandalf's investigation of a murder unravels a conspiracy that very well may go up to the top!

-Merry and Treebeard hatch a crazy "get rich quick" scheme that goes sour in the last five minutes.

RocShemp 01-16-04 06:08 PM

Originally posted by Grouch094820 & 5/17
Next Week on 'Lord of the Rings: the Series':

-Aragorn finds himself in quite the pickle when he ends up with TWO dates to the prom: Arwen and Eowyn!

-Pippin smokes too much pipeweed and keeps singing "I'm so excited"

-Sam meets a hobbit in a wheelchair, and learns a valuable lesson. "It's true, Master Frodo...he wasn't disabled, he was differently abled." "That's my Sam!" exclaims Frodo.

-Gandalf's investigation of a murder unravels a conspiracy that very well may go up to the top!

-Merry and Treebeard hatch a crazy "get rich quick" scheme that goes sour in the last five minutes.

OMG! That's tonight! I gotta get a tape!

BTW, anyone know when the season finale is gonna air?

DVD Polizei 01-16-04 07:07 PM

RocShemp 01-16-04 07:58 PM

Originally posted by DVD Polizei
No, that's the SERIES finale. I wan't to know about the SEASON finale air date.

DVD Polizei 01-16-04 08:26 PM

Ooops.

RocShemp 01-16-04 08:35 PM

Originally posted by DVD Polizei
Ooops.
S'okay.

Anyhoo, it's too bad they couldn't shoot the entire seriesin one shot (as originally intended) so they'd never have to stop for season breaks.

BTW, is it just me or did you also have a hard time at first with Ray Romano's Frodo? Peter Boyle as Gandalf was inspired, though.

DVD Polizei 01-16-04 08:44 PM

Everybody Loves Frodo. :D

RocShemp 01-16-04 09:01 PM

Any truth to the rumours of
Spoiler:
George Lopez guest starring as Thorin Oakenshield in a flashback episode narrated by Bilbo?

DRG 01-17-04 12:31 PM

The letest rumor is that they're making the first completely CGI sitcom. It's a remake of 'The Odd Couple' featuring Gollum and Harry Potter's Dobby as the mismatched roomates, one cranky and the other a neat freak. They are joined by costar Jar Jar Binks, who plays a wacky neighbor, a la Seinfeld's Kramer.

RocShemp 01-19-04 05:59 AM

Originally posted by DRG
The letest rumor is that they're making the first completely CGI sitcom. It's a remake of 'The Odd Couple' featuring Gollum and Harry Potter's Dobby as the mismatched roomates, one cranky and the other a neat freak. They are joined by costar Jar Jar Binks, who plays a wacky neighbor, a la Seinfeld's Kramer.
Wouldn't such a sitcom work with just Gollum alone? No need to pay more royalties that way.

Snowlarbear 01-20-04 10:18 PM

lets be honest, we all would watch anything to do with more lotr.

Hobgoblin 01-23-04 06:07 PM

Originally posted by Snowlarbear
lets be honest, we all would watch anything to do with more lotr.
except the Ralph Bakshi one.....