Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Did Akira Kurasawa ever shoot on color film?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-13-04, 10:21 PM
Doctorwho

Anyone know if any Kirawsawa films were shot with color film?

His films dont need it, but I just think it would be interesting to see.
Old 01-13-04, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,100 Likes on 739 Posts
Yes, quite a few.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000041/
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 261 Likes on 187 Posts
Yes. Ran, Dreams. I'm sure there are several others.
DVD Talk Legend

Received 193 Likes on 142 Posts
I haven't seen all of his films. But I'm sure that Ran was in color.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Every movie after Red Beard.
Old 01-13-04, 10:27 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
and "High and Low"
Old 01-13-04, 10:28 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by troystiffler
I haven't seen all of his films. But I'm sure that Ran was in color.
Ran was definately in colour.

Could you imagine a colourless Dreams? no, I don't think so.
Old 01-13-04, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 586 Likes on 362 Posts
Dodeskaden
Dersu Uzala
Kagemusha
Ran
Dreams
Rhapsody In August
Madadayo

And Dreams is simply one of the most sumptuous films ever made. Better, no, MUCH better than fruit cup.
Old 01-13-04, 10:56 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
Dodeskaden
Dersu Uzala
Kagemusha
Ran
Dreams
Rhapsody In August
Madadayo

And Dreams is simply one of the most sumptuous films ever made. Better, no, MUCH better than fruit cup.
I'm a great fan of Kurosawa's films (I've seen all that are available on vhs and dvd). All the films listed above are Kurosawa's color films. And Ran is one of Kurosawa's best films, which is up with like 7 (Rashomon, Ikiru, Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, Throne of Blood, Hidden Fortress, High and Low and others) other of his masterpieces.
Old 01-13-04, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts
Dr. Who, rush, rush rush and see "Ran" if you haven't. Simply astounding movie -- and gorgeous color, to boot! In my top 3 Kurosawa movies at least (the other two being "Seven Samurai" and "Ikiru").
Old 01-13-04, 11:59 PM

Received 120 Likes on 82 Posts
If only there were some of database, on the internet, where one could find the answers to questions like these.
Old 01-14-04, 12:44 AM
Doctorwho

Originally posted by Grouch094820 & 5/17
If only there were some of database, on the internet, where one could find the answers to questions like these.
Yeah it's called the dvdtalk movie forum.

I've only seen Seven Samurai and Yojimbo does ran stack up to these?
Old 01-14-04, 12:48 AM

Originally posted by Doctorwho
Yeah it's called the dvdtalk movie forum.
I usually call it The Internet Movie Database (aka IMDB)
Old 01-14-04, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Or, go to www.allmovie.com.

Last edited by scroll2b; 01-14-04 at 01:08 AM.
Old 01-14-04, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ran gets better and better the more I see it, the best use of color I can ever think of in a movie, on top of that.
Old 01-14-04, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

About half of his career was shot in color.

Between Rashamon, Hidden Fortress, 7 Samurai, Ikiru, Ran, Yojimbo etc, I don't think there's a filmaker anywhere that I like as consistently as Kurosawa. Mainly, I have no idea why Kagemusha, a film I consider to be in Kurosawa's top five, is so neglected these days. This movie starts with quite possibly the greatest long continuous shot of his career (a soldier running down an endless, body-strewn stone staircase) and ends with another amazing, historically important image (which I won't reveal here). In between is one of the deeper and more involving character developments in movie history scattered with superb set pieces (example: the rifleman demonstrating his incredible accuracy). Even the story behind the making of the film is fascinating, it would make a terrific DVD.

Don't miss this movie, it's a little harder to find than some of the other Kurosawa's but it's definitely worth looking for.
Old 01-14-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 586 Likes on 362 Posts
Originally posted by Hiro11
Well, not really. He started shooting in color in 1970 up until his last film in 1993, but that was really only seven films. He did about two dozen before that in b&w.

Chronologically speaking, I suppose that would be half of his work in terms of time. But in terms of output, it's a smaller percentage.

Still, I share your love of Kagemusha. And I cannot wait for Criterion's upcoming DVD. I'd watch it a billion times before, say, Caveman.
Old 01-14-04, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Hiro11

Between Rashamon, Hidden Fortress, 7 Samurai, Ikiru, Ran, Yojimbo etc, I don't think there's a filmaker anywhere that I like as consistently as Kurosawa. Mainly, I have no idea why Kagemusha, a film I consider to be in Kurosawa's top five, is so neglected these days. This movie starts with quite possibly the greatest long continuous shot of his career (a soldier running down an endless, body-strewn stone staircase) and ends with another amazing, historically important image (which I won't reveal here). In between is one of the deeper and more involving character developments in movie history scattered with superb set pieces (example: the rifleman demonstrating his incredible accuracy). Even the story behind the making of the film is fascinating, it would make a terrific DVD.

Don't miss this movie, it's a little harder to find than some of the other Kurosawa's but it's definitely worth looking for.
Regarding Kagemusha, I think it's neglected right now because it hasn't gotten a proper DVD release, and we are on a DVD board. Not many people are trolling through their VHS. On top of that, it had a decidedly lukewarm reception considering it debuted in a similar time frame of Shogun. But I think it's day and it's due are coming. I still don't think it's a top 5 Kurosawa film, but that's hardly a knock considering the library of briallance he put out. But I've noticed both Redbeard and Throne of Blood gain a lot more praise and recognition with the Criteiron treatment, and I feel Kagemusha will get theirs.
Old 01-14-04, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
So if I REALLY liked Throne of Blood and very much enjoyed Rashomon (the only two Kurosawa's i've seen), I shouldn't worry about just ordering Ran MW from CH in my next order rather than wasting a netflix rental on it? In your esteemed opinions that is.....
Old 01-14-04, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 193 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally posted by brizz
So if I REALLY liked Throne of Blood and very much enjoyed Rashomon (the only two Kurosawa's i've seen), I shouldn't worry about just ordering Ran MW from CH in my next order rather than wasting a netflix rental on it? In your esteemed opinions that is.....
Yes. I admit that there were points that seemed a little tedious. But just stick with it, and you'll find that it's very entertaining.
Old 01-14-04, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by brizz
Absolutely! It's a high retail disc, and if you don't like it, it has trade in/eBay value. Damn, that must be one of the higher priced CH titles, and I might just join if I can get that with the club. I've held off upgrading from VHS but knowing that I can get it on the cheap, I just might take the plunge.

And I think if you like Rashomon and Throne of Blood, you'll like this. Generally, they are two less acessible A.K. titles.
Old 01-14-04, 06:19 PM

I share your love of Kagemusha. And I cannot wait for Criterion's upcoming DVD.
Agreed...

I'd also like to see "Stray Dog", "Drunken Angel" and "The Bad Sleep Well"... Three additional films that Kurosawa teamed up with Mifune on that definitely deserve a DVD release.

The funny thing is that the public initially rejected his work on color film. "Dodes 'Ka-Den" was a complete failure in the box office which forced him to go abroad in order to finance his next two movies...

Dersu Uzala: Russian Financing

Kagemusha: He would of never gotten the movie made without the backing of Francis Ford Coppola and George Lucas