DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Best Documentary - "A Mighty Wind"? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/341014-best-documentary-mighty-wind.html)

Iron_Giant 01-13-04 04:53 PM

Best Documentary - "A Mighty Wind"?

Since "Bowling for Columbine" won Best Documentary last year, do you think "A Mighty Wind" should also win (or atleast be nominated)?

The Academy Awards has opened the door for any movie to win the award as longs as it seems like a Documentary.

**I must admit "A Mighty Wind" was one of the worst/boring movies I have seen in a looonngg time. There were a few parts of the movie I laughed at, but 98% of the movie was a complete waste of time.**

The Antipodean 01-13-04 05:07 PM

Troll much? Bowling For Columbine is a documentary no matter how much you dislike some of the politics and facts that are in it. I've seen the so-called "Columbine exposed" web sites and they're almost all nitpicks and right-wing skewed diatribes at least as biased as certain people claim "Columbine" is. You could take almost any other documentary and pick it apart that way if you chose, but clearly the right-wingers got a little bitter over this one. To which I say, the world doesn't run entirely on the Republican party line, no matter how much you might wish it. Accept different views and get on with your lives.

Meanwhile, A Mighty Wind is clearly fiction, and never pretends to be anything but.

Anyway, this thread is obviously all about trying to pick a fight - congratulations! - and I've said my piece. Let the battle begin! :yack:

KTIK 01-13-04 05:20 PM

Both movies were good.

Phew, and I was thinking I'd have to make two posts to say that. Thanks for saving my time.

RyoHazuki 01-13-04 05:28 PM

Um... Michael Moore is an asshat? I don't know how else to respond.

Ralph Wiggum 01-13-04 05:33 PM

The animated sequence in the middle of Bowling for Columbine sure didn't seem like a documentary to me.

Iron Chef 01-13-04 05:39 PM

Re: Best Documentary - "A Mighty Wind"?

Originally posted by Iron_Giant
Since "Bowling for Columbine" won Best Documentary last year, do you think "A Mighty Wind" should also win (or atleast be nominated)?
:up:

Hell yes. They're both on the same level, documentary-wise.

Iron_Giant 01-13-04 05:42 PM

Originally posted by Sierra Disc
Troll much? Bowling For Columbine is a documentary no matter how much you dislike some of the politics and facts that are in it. I've seen the so-called "Columbine exposed" web sites and they're almost all nitpicks and right-wing skewed diatribes at least as biased as certain people claim "Columbine" is. You could take almost any other documentary and pick it apart that way if you chose, but clearly the right-wingers got a little bitter over this one. To which I say, the world doesn't run entirely on the Republican party line, no matter how much you might wish it. Accept different views and get on with your lives.

Meanwhile, A Mighty Wind is clearly fiction, and never pretends to be anything but.

Anyway, this thread is obviously all about trying to pick a fight - congratulations! - and I've said my piece. Let the battle begin! :yack:

Do you really mean that all of Bowling for C is a documentary? No edits (whiched looked like it was not edited..), cuts (whiched looked like it was not cutted to change the sceen/story..), changes (whiched looked like it was not changed...)...

When I was watching "A Mighty Wind", it just keep on reminding me of Bowling, a movie made to look like a documentary.

D-Ball 01-13-04 05:53 PM

Both were great movies.

fnordboy 01-13-04 06:22 PM

Can't we keep the politics in the Other? -ohbfrank-

caiman 01-13-04 06:38 PM

Wha' happened?!

Jackskeleton 01-13-04 06:45 PM

to bad we don't have a Best Mockumentary award :(

wendersfan 01-13-04 07:13 PM

Originally posted by caiman
Wha' happened?!
:up:
My wife and I say that all the time now. :)

fnordboy 01-13-04 07:19 PM

Originally posted by caiman
Wha' happened?!
rotfl
classic.

jaeufraser 01-13-04 07:26 PM

Every documentary is going to have a level of bias. Editing itself creates that, and no documentary is completely free from it. I am no Michael Moore fan, and I didn't care for Bowling for Columbine due to my opinion of Moore. But nonetheless it IS a documentary. Twisting information to reach a point is what EVERY documentary does to some degree, some more than others. but until someone tells me that everyone in BFC is an actor in staged situations, this argument of Mighty Wind being anything similar is pretty stupid. Moore isn't just pulling things out of the air, no matter how much I disagree with him. I'd even say BFC does make some good points, but many just don't care for Moore's heavy handed self righteous approach, myself included. But it's still a documentary. Show me an unbiased documentary that doesn't in some form twist the information, and I'll eat a truck.

Blake 01-13-04 10:47 PM

Wha' happened? Seems as if this thread is just to stir up more anti-Bowling sentiment.

I think there's not a chance in hell A Mighty Wind could be Best Documentary, thus, closing thread.