DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   SCARIEST movie you have ever seen?? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/340868-scariest-movie-you-have-ever-seen.html)

Mantecore 01-12-04 11:32 PM

SCARIEST movie you have ever seen??

Im trying to find the scariest movie ever made, not gory just completely terryifing, something that will give me nightmares and scare the hell out of me, anyone have any ideas or suggestions, please let me know.

PapaWheelie 01-12-04 11:38 PM

Other than the obvious (The Exorcist)... Bad Boys 2 scared the S outta me only cause it was so friggin bad.

caiman 01-13-04 12:01 AM

Re: SCARIEST movie you have ever seen??

Originally posted by Mantecore
Im trying to find the scariest movie ever made, not gory just completely terryifing, something that will give me nightmares and scare the hell out of me, anyone have any ideas or suggestions, please let me know.
If that is indeed what you're looking for in a movie, your answer is simple: There aren't any.

Unless you are under 10 or severely emotionally fragile, no movie currently in existance will have that effect on you. Sorry.

shill66 01-13-04 12:17 AM

Originally posted by PapaWheelie
Other than the obvious (The Exorcist)... Bad Boys 2 scared the S outta me only cause it was so friggin bad.
Wow. This time it only took ONE POST for someone to make that type of joke.

I doubt any movie will really do it for you, but here's a suggestion.

Get Exorcist III. Watch it alone, with all the lights off, no interruptions, no distractions, no popcorn. Then report back here.

Crocker Jarmen 01-13-04 12:40 AM

shill66's has the right idea. While there aren't that many movie's that can provoke the reaction you want out of an adult, you can get pretty damn close if you are in the right environment and frame of mind.

Some movies I can think of that really unnerved me would be Jacob's Ladder, The Exorcist, Dawn of the Deadand The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Try to think of things that you know you're uncomfortible with. Funeral? Maybe Phantasm might get to you. Worried about a Biblical apcoalypse, maybe The 7th Sign will make you uncomfortible.

It's all about the right frame of mind and the right environment. All alone. In a quiet place. At night.

Randy Miller III 01-13-04 12:46 AM

Maybe it's just me, but <i>Event Horizon</i> was really terrifying. There's just something inherently evil and unsettling about the movie that really gets under my skin (much like the already-mentioned <i>Jacob's Ladder</i>).

scottall 01-13-04 12:55 AM

There were two or three scenes in The Eye that gave me chills and made the hair on my arms stand up.

BlackBeauty92 01-13-04 01:11 AM

the classic: OMEN 1&2

for some reason, the idea, music, acting... makes everything kind of... chilling.

KWAIDAN too

TREX1993 01-13-04 01:13 AM

Another vote here for the Exorcist. From the first time I accidentally saw scenes of it (as I walked across the living room and my parents were watching) up to today, it remains for me the scariest movie I've ever seen.

Wing Commander jokes notwithstanding...

Wazootyman 01-13-04 01:19 AM

There have been two movies that have messed me up for life. The sad thing is they are about two of the stupidest movies ever...

Arachnaphobia... although around the time I saw it (when I was 5) I was also attacked by a large spider, bout the size of a fist. And no, I didn't imagine the attack, because my brothers later found the spider, and killed it. Still gives me chills to think about it.

And......... Earnest Scared Stupid...... The majority of it was a hilarious romp. However, there was one scene in which one of the characters was laying on her bed.
Spoiler:
She thought that a troll was under her bed, so she looked and saw that it was just her doll. She grabbed the doll, and when she came back up, THE TROLL WAS NEXT TO HER! He then turned her into a doll! That night I was not able to sleep, because I was afraid that I'd wake up, and the troll would be next to me!

Crocker Jarmen 01-13-04 01:35 AM

Originally posted by BlackBeauty92
the classic: OMEN 1&2

for some reason, the idea, music, acting... makes everything kind of... chilling.

That's another excellent example! The Omen really got under my skin too.

I've noticed that most of the movie's I find really creepy are from the 70's. Modern stuff usually dosen't to much. I suppose a lot of that could be attributed to the quality of films made today. But I think it also has a lot to do with the film's I've mentioned not belonging to my time period. I was born in 1978, so films from the 70's are harder for meto releate to. The way people look and dress, the cars, the buildings, are outside of my experience. They make the world's of these films more alien and dreamlike to me, I guess.

Rivero 01-13-04 01:53 AM

William Friedkin's The Exorcist. One of the finest movies ever, of any genre. After seeing that then watch The Exorcist III, the REAL continuation of the story and one of the most egregiously underrated horror films ever.

Giantrobo 01-13-04 02:12 AM

Movies that have me looking over my shoulder:

The Ring
Prince of Darkness
Signs

QuiGonJosh 01-13-04 05:15 AM

I've never been scared by a movie...ever...and I watched Exorcist when I was like 4 or 5...and Shining...etc.

rushmore223 01-13-04 05:25 AM

I grew up on Horror movies, since I was 5 I was allowed to watch pretty much anything I wanted. Strangely there is only 1` movie that really scared me, it was a PG movie at that. It was really just one quick image that got me, I think I was around 9 or 10 when I saw it.

Spoiler:
The 70's remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers with Donald Sutherland had a scene where they destroyed a pod that was cloning a bum in the park, unfortunately they missed the pod that was cloning his dog. Later when they ran back through the park they were confronted by the Dog/Pod Clone, only thing is that instead of a dog head it had the head of the Bum. It started barking at them
and it freaked the hell out of me, couldnt sleep all night long. Only time I was ever really bothered by a movie.

Found the picture of what scared me, couldnt copy, but heres a link...

http://www.terrortrap.com/invasion.htm

Next closest I would say is The Shining,
Spoiler:
The dead twins
gave me the creeps when I saw it as a kid.

PalmerJoss 01-13-04 06:30 AM

I have never been scared my a movie. Movies just aren't scary IMO, mostly because they don't leave much to the imagination. The scariest thing in the world is the unknown, the intangible, what you can't see.

I know many a person who says they were scared by The Blair Witch Project because they didn't show the witch. Instead, the filmmakers left it to your imagination, and the IDEA that something could be out there is scarier than actually seeing what is indeed out there in the shadows.

QuiGonJosh 01-13-04 06:42 AM

Totally agree Joss...things are always freakier when you dont see them...

Daytripper 01-13-04 06:43 AM

Originally posted by Rivero
William Friedkin's The Exorcist. One of the finest movies ever, of any genre. After seeing that then watch The Exorcist III, the REAL continuation of the story and one of the most egregiously underrated horror films ever.
Absolutely! While the first has more special effects, the third (and really, the official sequel) has almost none. It's more psychological. And does it ever get under your skin.

I also agree that "The Omen" is a excellent thriller. I'd skip the sequel though. At least don't watch it right away. It's like night and day. The acting in "II" is pretty bad.

Last, I thought "The Others" was also very effective. And it also relied on mood and setting only. No special effects there either.

Caoimhin 01-13-04 06:44 AM

Originally posted by Giantrobo

The Ring
Prince of Darkness
Signs

<B>Prince of Darkness</B> always creeped me out to no end. It just had a not-quite-right vibe that made me nervous.

Smidget 01-13-04 07:33 AM

David Lynch's stuff always creeps the hell out of me, Twin Peaks series had scenes, especially Red Room stuff.... ah! And the diner scene in Mulholland Drive gave me nightmares.

gmal2003 01-13-04 08:17 AM

Muholland Drive is very scary to me. I havent seen many "scary" movies because I dont care too much for the genre, but of the ones I've seen, none of them compare to M D (a movie not intended to really scare you). I cant quite put my finger on what makes it so scary but Ill try to explain.

Spoiler:
The intense music for one, the atmosphere/ lighting seems a little out of or soft focused. The old lady is creepy, the diner scene is creepy, the little old couple is very scary, the scariest of scenes would have to be the singing scene at the opera. The main thing that gets to me is the realism of the movie and how it protrays the vulnerability of humans. I guess I CAN put my finger on why it scares me.

Donnie Darko gets to me a little too.

OldBoy 01-13-04 09:29 AM

A couple movies that always stayed with me from my childhood, though they are not wildly popular and i have seen again to lesser chagrin....

"The Beast Within"..saw this on like HBO way back in 80's late night and it just freaked me..got the DVD and watched again and a little less jarring now

"The Believers" with Martin Sheen"..the sceen where the spiders come out the girls face anerved me..

Lastly, I used to get bad nightmares from "Aliens" now it is one of my all time fav's.

jayson1017 01-13-04 10:42 AM

Originally posted by Giantrobo

The Ring
Prince of Darkness
Signs

Signs??? Is that a joke?

Scariest movies I've seen are Star Wars Episode I and II. The wooden acting had me screaming my head off. Other scary movies were The Exorcist and The Beyond (it might've been the gore).

My heart was beating rapidly during the last scenes of Onibaba...

Neitzl 01-13-04 10:45 AM

I'm one of those who was scared crapless from The Blair Witch Project. I went in knowing it wasn't a real documentary, as many had thought, and I knew a lot about it from reading on this board. But man, I went with a friend, and I could feel my heart beating hard during half the movie. I couldn't believe it was affecting me so much. When we walked out, I told my friend how scared I was, he turned to me and said, Are you kidding that was stupid beyond belief. Oh well, to each their own.

Exorcist also scared me recently when I watched in on my PC at about midnight, with no lights. I thought I saw some little thing crawl right outside my door when the dream sequence was happening.

Spooky 01-13-04 10:50 AM

Another vote for THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT...I also knew going in it was a hoax, but it still scared the willies out of me.

Horror filmmakers need to realize that it isn't gore or things jumping out at you that's scary...it's the UNSEEN thing that's scary! We never saw The Blair Witch, so we conjured up our own demon in our mind. It's too bad more horror films aren't made this way...