Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone here seen Dogville?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-12-04, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you have, care to comment on it?
it was a slow movie but the real pay off is the ending, loved it

Spoiler:
anyways for u film students out there was is the significance of the lack of walls? was it a metaphor for showing the dark, hidden, and disturbing side of the human psyche?
I really felt sorry for Nicole's char in the movie, she was so
sweet and innocent and the bastards treated her like trash
guess that made the ending all the better. Love it when she told her father to force the school teacher watch her kids get executed one after another. The gangster shot the baby with
a tommy gun...the ultimate retribution, I don't recall ever seeing that in a movie before
Old 01-12-04, 01:55 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Saw it yesterday and was very impressed. I thought Nicole did a better acting job in this than in "Cold Mountain".
Old 01-12-04, 03:14 PM
Banned

I agree. It saw the R2 version. Good stuff. All that talk about anti-Americanism in the movie is just a bunch of hot-phooey. :smile:
Old 01-12-04, 03:22 PM

I just got the korean 2-disc special edition last week and I must say that I was quite impressed. Nicole Kidman was amazing (as was the rest of the cast) with this being her best role in my opinion. Easily one of the best films I've seen in quite some time.
Old 01-12-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I saw it, wasn't impressed. Like most of lars von trier's films, the buzz about it is usually better than the actual film.
Old 01-13-04, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am dying to see this movie. Why is it taking so long to be released in the states? I heard some sort of controversy sounding the film. Is this the reason why?
Old 01-13-04, 11:43 PM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Sunday Morning
I saw it, wasn't impressed. Like most of lars von trier's films, the buzz about it is usually better than the actual film.
Well, no wonder you weren't impressed.

Personally, I thought it was a fantastic film, and easier to watch than Dancer In The Dark or Breaking The Waves (I mean emotionally, I don't have a problem with the camera work in any of those films). The Kingdom is still my favorite thing that he's done, but this is just excellent filmmaking. Highly stylized.
Old 01-27-04, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got the Korean 2disc set last week and watched it yesterday. Very original film. I was put off by the style at first but went with it after a while. It's kind of paranoic Our Town. Haven't delved into the extras yet...
Old 01-27-04, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 351 Likes on 249 Posts
I liked it too - though on a technical level, the digital camera he used was very distracting as the image would blur very badly with every little camera movement.
Old 01-27-04, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Where can you get the Korean edition of this film? Also, is it R2 or R0?
Old 01-27-04, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just got the Korean Dogville LE Box Set, and saw it a couple of days ago. Yes, it was a slow film. I thought the whole anti-americanism fuss was blown totally out of proportion. A big marketing gimmick.

This movie did not strike me as a great film. The story was rather bland really, and one already had an idea where the story would go before it happened.

As for style, certainly a good way to save on the production cost. But I donŽt think Lars von Trier took advantage of the missing walls. I think this could have been incorporated better into the story for a more significant impact. Maybe weŽll see this better explored with the sequel Manderlay, which premieres in Copenhagen November 2005.

Dogville will open in US theatres in limited release 25th of March. If you cannot wait you can buy the Region 0 DVD from Korea or the Danish Region 2, given that you have a multi-region player. No forced subtitles on either of these two versions. Or make a bid on eBay. But they are rather expensive. The LE Box Set sells for between $ 100.00 - $ 200.00 because only 2000 were made of the excluse set.

Imagine this, Nicole Kidman only got about $32.000 for her role. What a pay cut for her normal fee of 15 million Dollars!!

Last edited by Dane; 01-27-04 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-19-04, 06:37 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
plus she gets raped !
Old 02-19-04, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

she did?
Old 02-19-04, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I loved the movie. Thought that it was a great, well developed story. I think that it is well worth the money.
Old 04-12-04, 12:21 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw it yesterday and I thought it was really good. After Breaking the Waves, this might be the best from von Trier, though I haven't seen The Kingdom or Medea as yet.

The 'anti-American' label I think is a reach. Other than the end credits I thought the film seemed very universal.

Spoiler:
The theme of morality and the arrogance of judging others gave me something to ponder. By the end of the film I was thinking these people should get what's coming but I wasn't quite ready for what followed. I'm not sure why the baby had to die but maybe thats just for shock value.
Old 04-16-04, 08:33 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I think it's von Trier's best film and probably the best film of 2003. I was completely blown away by every aspect of the film.

ETA: MrN, I've seen Medea. and while interesting, it's not in the same league as von Trier's more recent work.
Old 04-16-04, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by MrN
The 'anti-American' label I think is a reach. Other than the end credits I thought the film seemed very universal.

Unless I'm reading the work wrong, this has to be one of the more misanthropic films I've ever seen.

Last edited by Corvin; 04-16-04 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-16-04, 09:22 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally posted by Corvin

Unless I'm reading the work wrong, this has to be one of the more misanthropic films I've ever seen.
I would agree. My reading of the film is that the theme is, people are evil, and deserve to be punished*. I found it very refreshing, actually.

*OK, that's a very simplified interpretation. Don't flame me because you disagree.
Old 04-16-04, 10:16 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by wendersfan
I would agree. My reading of the film is that the theme is, people are evil, and deserve to be punished*. I found it very refreshing, actually.

*OK, that's a very simplified interpretation. Don't flame me because you disagree.
specifically when
Spoiler:
Grace instructs the gunmen to kill Vera (Patricia Clarkson) children in front of her and see if 'she' cries - wow, no that's retribution.
Old 04-16-04, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I had picked up the Korean LE release of this when it first came out, and just recently got around to watching it.

Wow. What a great movie. I have seen other films of Lars von Triers' and have enjoyed them all, this is definitely one of his best IMO. Nicole Kidman was very good in it. I have not been a fan of hers for many years, but she showed me that she is a damn_fine actress.

I didn't think I would get use to the "no walls" thing but after a little bit I never noticed, except when the characters were opening doors. For some reason that just seemed awkward to me (and the sound effects didn't help).
Old 05-03-04, 01:22 PM

It just started showing at a local theater.
Once I got used to the whole set design I started to get into it.
I liked most of the characters and acting.
However, I never crossed over that emotional point that Dancer in the Dark completely demolished. I just didn't connect with Grace overall.
So when the ending came, it seemed kind of cheesy to me.
Somewhat disappointing.
Old 05-03-04, 04:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
We FINALLY got this flick at the local arthouse theater this weekend, and I LOVED it. I'm all ready a fan of von Triers, and I think this is the best thing he's ever done.

At first I wasn't certain about the empty-soundstage thing. It felt like a gimmick. But in time I was drawn in by the performances and the use of light, and I didn't even notice it anymore. And I was surprised to see so many great actors used in bit parts! I found the ending very satisfying and I enjoyed the film very much. I recommend it highly.
Old 05-03-04, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by F For Fake
We FINALLY got this flick at the local arthouse theater this weekend, and I LOVED it. I'm all ready a fan of von Triers, and I think this is the best thing he's ever done.
Baxter Ave? When did you go? I saw it today at the first showing.

A board I frequent had an interesting interpretation of the entire movie- which, oddly enough, are the same thoughts I had.

From www.artsandfaith.com user "Jeffrey Overstreet"
Spoiler:
In Breaking the Waves and Dancer in the Dark, Von Trier introduces holy-fool-innocents who are grace personified... grace taken advantage of... grace abused and violated and humiliated and ultimately killed. Grace draws out affection from people at first, but ultimately, the more gracious she is, the more wicked her friends and neighbors become until she is crucified.

And here's the story again, this time on a theater stage instead of in harsh realism or musical surrealism.

Von Trier twisted the knife with a sort of wicked glee in those two films, having very little to say except "Look at how EVIL men can be, and look at how these beautiful symbolic women know NO END of suffering!"

Here, he tells the same story again, but with more restraint, less of that sense of sadism. The similarities were SO similar that I was just exasperated with boredom. Why must he lavish so much directorial genius on the same dang story over and over again? The town turns against grace with the same astonishing lack of reason that we saw in that laughably implausible courtroom in Dancer in the Dark.

And again Grace is duped into "loving" the townspeople in unspeakable ways, debasing herself to do inappropriate things without resistance in the name of "sympathy." It is this and this specifically that tells me Von Trier does not understand the ideas of godly love and grace. This is where I part ways with his interpretation of the way people treat true love and the way that true love is shown.

But then... then... suddenly... in the final minutes... the movie is transformed. I sat bolt upright when I realized that THIS time the martyr wasn't going to just march right into her death. This time, the movie was going to go farther. And boy howdy. It's ABOUT something this time. Instead of just contempt for humankind and its depravity, this film is about how God responds to it, or should respond. Von Trier introduces a brilliant debate between the Old Testament God and the God of the New Testament... a debate between Law and Grace.

He also bemoans the ineffectiveness of art and the life of the mind, showing its impotence in saving the world. Tom, I believe, is Von Trier himself... seeing the depravity, but falling victim to it himself, even as he finally discovers that his method of "illustration" fails to awaken the consciences of his neighbors. So, implicating himself in humanity's guilt, he has himself executed in the end.

Ultimately, Von Trier concludes that yes... the Law exists to show us how we all fall short of what God calls us to be. But he also concludes... and here's the real tragedy... that GRACE only ends up achieving the same thing. It is abused, taken advantage of, and refuses to wake us up or redeem us in any way. In the end, both Christ (or Grace) and the God of Judgment throw up their hands in despair of humankind.

It's a brilliant finale that kicks life into the rather over-long film. It's also another feather in Von Trier's cap as far as his directorial creativity. He's a genius who is hitting us over the head with a sledgehammer yet again... but this time, hitting us just hard enough so that we have something to think about, where the other films beat us senseless with visions of depravity. Whereas the previous two films felt like brilliant bile, this one feels like a giant step forward. Now, I can't wait to see what he does next. Now we're getting somewhere.

And Kidman has never been more perfectly cast. She has always had this slight weakness as an actress... There's always this quality in her performance that keeps us aware she is "performing." It's this sort of over-eagerness in her intensity. And thus, here, she's perfect, because her character *is* performing the whole time... playing out a role... and Kidman's work leads us to a slight uneasiness about her. Through the whole film, I sensed a duplicity in Grace, that she was not really a gift, but that she was a test.

And BINGO... there is the problem. Lars Von Trier sees grace as another test of our ability to respond. In his world, grace was never truly a free gift. We failed to respond appropriately, and thus God has proven his point... that we deserve hellfire.

I hope he keeps working at this theme. He's moving forward, and it will be fascinating to see where he goes. Sting, as a singer/songwriter, started here... with the rage against God, lament for the evils of humankind, and insightful poetry about the devil's mastery of the world. But he kept exploring, kept lamenting, and has found his way to the beginnings of grace in recent albums. He, like all of us, still has a ways to go (he's in the "affirm grace, but reject religion" stage right now). But he's a moving target... and that's the mark of an artist. Von Trier is, at last, an artist again.

Last edited by DGibFen; 05-03-04 at 09:11 PM.
Old 09-04-04, 06:49 AM
Banned

good movie. did a little internet browsing in the slow parts, but overall I thought it was really good.
Old 09-04-04, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm off and on with Von Trier but while this took awile to get used to, the sets and all, i thought the story got very involving and the ending-and I never thought Id say this for a Trier film- was kick ass. I felt like I was cheering on a martial arts film where the hero FINALLY kicks the villain's ass. Needless to say, the ending was very cathartic for me and ultimately redeemed the movie in my eyes. Now I cant wait for the sequel Manderlay, although I hope Bryce Howard replacing Kidman goes smoothly.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.