Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

LEAST liked Disney 2D animated film of the recent era?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: LEAST liked Disney animated film?
Pocahontas
25.00%
Hercules
12.25%
Mulan
6.37%
Tarzan
5.88%
Atlantis
14.71%
Emperor's New Groove
11.76%
Treasure Island
15.69%
Other (please specify)
8.33%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-04, 02:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious to discover which animated film of the recent Disney era of feature animation is the least liked overall?

Everything from The Little Mermaid to Brother Bear

I have included the most popular choices.

EDIT: Home on the Range is now a possible candidate.

Last edited by smirnoffski; 06-09-04 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-11-04, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hunchback MUST be on this list..
Old 01-11-04, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hunchback rocked. I'll take Atlantis or Tarzan or Pocahontas.
Old 01-11-04, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for me, it was between Pocahontas or Treasure Planet..

Pocahontas' storyline didn't bother me, the animation did. Treasure Planet's animation didn't bother me, the story did.

So I went with Treasure Planet.
Old 01-11-04, 02:55 AM

I've only seen Pocahontas from that list. So that's my only choice.
Old 01-11-04, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Atlantis
Old 01-11-04, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Hunchback. Poor choice of voice acting. Poor, un memorable songs. Just lame overall. Which can also be said of Hercules.

Pocahontas had some great songs, and a couple very good animated sequences. I don't think that(despite the convoluted ending) or Tarzan belong on the list. I think Tarzan is the best 2D animated movie since The Lion King.

And as far as Emperor's New Groove, the animation isn't all that stellar, but the story and amount of laughs it provides, definitely make up for it. Hilarious movie.
Old 01-11-04, 10:02 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Michael Corvin
Hunchback. Poor choice of voice acting. Poor, un memorable songs. Just lame overall. Which can also be said of Hercules.

Pocahontas had some great songs, and a couple very good animated sequences. I don't think that(despite the convoluted ending) or Tarzan belong on the list. I think Tarzan is the best 2D animated movie since The Lion King.

And as far as Emperor's New Groove, the animation isn't all that stellar, but the story and amount of laughs it provides, definitely make up for it. Hilarious movie.
unmemorable songs? nah that has to go to Mulan. "Hunchback" score and music is very similiar in character and style to recent musicals like "Les Mis" and "Phantom of the Opera". The music for Hunchback and Pocohontas were the only saving graces to the actual films.

My least favourite Disney film is "Great Mouse Detective"
Old 01-11-04, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
"Pocahontas", hands down. Hated everything about this movie. And I actually thought "Hunchback" was one of their better films in the last 10 years.
Old 01-11-04, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
I LOVED Hunchback of Notre Dame. The annoying gargoyles aside, the film is deep, moving, and has the singlemost creepiest Disney villain ever.

And I love the songs... all of them... "The Bells of Notre Dame", "Out There", "Topsy Turvey", "God Help The Outcasts", "Heaven's Light"... OK, "A Guy Like You" pretty much stinks, but the majority of them are wonderful.

My pick is Tarzan. I hated it then and upon rewatching it recently, my feelings haven't changed. Rosie O'Donnell single handedly made me want to leave the theater in absolute nausea.
Old 01-11-04, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
I LOVED Hunchback of Notre Dame. The annoying gargoyles aside, the film is deep, moving, and has the singlemost creepiest Disney villain ever.

And I love the songs... all of them... "The Bells of Notre Dame", "Out There", "Topsy Turvey", "God Help The Outcasts", "Heaven's Light"... OK, "A Guy Like You" pretty much stinks, but the majority of them are wonderful.

My pick is Tarzan. I hated it then and upon rewatching it recently, my feelings haven't changed. Rosie O'Donnell single handedly made me want to leave the theater in absolute nausea.
Always good to see another "Hunchback" fan

And YES! Rosie ruined "Tarzan" for me. Well, that Phil Collins score didn't help either.
Old 01-11-04, 01:02 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Pocahontas was a disaster. It stunk to high heaven and will burn in cinematic hell forever.

the critters were annoying.

Pocahontas looked like a stripper.

John Smith was an UGLY, mean SOB in real life, yet now he is super loving brad pitt.

I know its a disney flick and all, but come on. This was just silly
Old 01-11-04, 01:35 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Pokerhauntus blew...

As for the others in that list, I quite enjoyed them and have all of them on DVD except for Pocahontas.

I've seen TENG and Tarzan over a dozen times each.
Old 01-11-04, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
Originally posted by Matt Millheiser

I liked Tarzan despite Rosie.

I think the recent batch (since Pocahontas) is really more of a personal choice. Some people think they are wonderful and some think they stink. They just did not have the universal appeal that the earlier neoclassics had.

I thought Hunchback was one of the best. The voice talent was excellent as was the story and the art direction.

Same with Mulan. The art direction really took shape and set itself apart from others.
Old 01-11-04, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Had to go with Hercules (of the ones that I have seen), but, more than anything, it's because it is so insanely untrue to the actual Greek myths.
Old 01-11-04, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I voted other, simply because i'm not sure if i really dislike any of those. The last 3 films, Treasure Planet, Atlantis, and Emperor's New Groove were incredibly underrated.
Old 01-11-04, 04:01 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Originally posted by fumanstan
The last 3 films, Treasure Planet, Atlantis, and Emperor's New Groove were incredibly underrated.

I would toss Brother Bear in with that group too.

(But I wonder why the Goofy Movies weren't included... talk about trash!)
Old 01-11-04, 04:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I am noticing that most of you are basing judgement on the fact that almost all of these films are not true to their sources.

I would recommend judgement based on the overall quality of the film.

For example, although I think that the The Hunchback of Notre Dame is extremely unfaithful to Victor Hugo's masterpiece, I nonetheless consider it to be one of Disney's best offerings during the last decade or so.
Old 01-11-04, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I picked Pocahontas, I don't mind it, but it's probably my least favorite disney movie out of all of them. I haven't seen Treasure Planet, so I can't say if I'd like it or not.
Old 01-11-04, 04:22 PM
Banned

I've seen all of those except for Pochahauntus (which I heard is so bad I skipped it).

So I voted for Emperor's New Grove. Botch job from head to tail.

Mulan is one of the most forgetable films they've ever made

I LOVED Tarzan even though Rosie O'Donnel nearly ruins it. Who let that bitch in anyway?
Old 01-11-04, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by smirnoffski
I am noticing that most of you are basing judgement on the fact that almost all of these films are not true to their sources.

I would recommend judgement based on the overall quality of the film.
Don't you think that is part of it though . . . especially when movies are targeted towards kids? If this is the first exposure that these kids are going to get to specific pieces of literature and/or history, I think that it is a disservice to the child to give it to them wrong.

I mean, it's one thing to make a few detail changes here to aid in its presentation as a movie, but, even though I haven't seen it in a while, I do remember that Hercules had some glaring differences in the story line and characters.

Last edited by talemyn; 01-11-04 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01-11-04, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by talemyn
Don't you think that is part of it though . . . especially when movies are targeted towards kids? If this is the first exposure that these kids are going to get to specific pieces of literature and/or history, I think that it is a disservice to the child to give it to them wrong.
I agree with that, and that it is just kind of annoying to know that the story is wrong.

Pocahontas came out just after I had taken American Lit in high school, so I had an understanding of the actual version. That seriously affected how I thought of the movie. I doubt it ever could have been one of my favorites, but I seriously disliked it at the time because of how wrong it was.

I like Herc ok, but it still bothers me that it's wrong.
But disney does that to everything, it's just more obvious in some movies than others.
Old 01-12-04, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's definitely Pocahontas for me. It absolutely has to be the most formulaic Disney movie ever made.

I for one loved Hunchback, and consider it Disney's most underrated film over the last 15 years. I loved the adult tone to it, and it has Alan Menken's best music for any Disney film, including Beauty and the Beast.
Old 01-12-04, 12:59 PM

Hercules.
It gave that no-talent ass-clown Michael Bolton a chance to sing.
Old 01-12-04, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by Michael Corvin

Really!?

Hunchback is IMO one of THE BEST of Disneys animated movies. Only problem, the reason for it's failure is the subject matter was WAY TOO ADULT for kids. I mean Frollo lusting after Esmerelda to the point of which if he cannot have her he will kill her. While Demi Moore was rather uninspired casting for Esmerelda I believe Tom Hulce was a perfect choice for Quasi.

The other reason it failed at the B.O. was the songs, which were great and appropriate, werent the usual songs that kids could sing along to, nor were they catchy in any way. They were quite dark.

You really should watch this again, I just dont understand your opinion on it, unless all you were hoping for was a giddy cartoon rollercoaster ride, then I guess it would have failed you there.

Tarzan on the other hand, ok, a little lame. Horrible music, I still cant believe Phil Collins got an oscar for the music.

Hercules, one long crap fest.

Didnt see Pocahontas or Emperors New Groove, or for that matter Lilo and Stitch.

Last edited by rushmore223; 01-12-04 at 01:19 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.