Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Buffalo Soldiers - any good?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-10-04, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see that the controversial "Buffalo Soldiers" with Joaquin Phoenix is on video Tuesday, Jan. 13.

Did anyone see this in theatres? Something about a war overseas?

thanks
Old 01-11-04, 12:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saw this one (British Airways ), and loved it. I ended up seeing it twice during the 9 hour flight, and i had 8 other films to shoose from. It's a very dark comedy which often times makes a deadly/dangerous situation into a comedic sequence.
Old 01-11-04, 12:58 AM

I didn't catch the movie on circuit .. but I read the book when it was originally published, and I loved it. So I am looking forward to catching this movie on DVD. I just hope they didn't make it too post-9/11 "politically correct" for the Army's point of view.
Old 01-11-04, 01:35 AM

Originally posted by Saxofonix
I didn't catch the movie on circuit .. but I read the book when it was originally published, and I loved it. So I am looking forward to catching this movie on DVD. I just hope they didn't make it too post-9/11 "politically correct" for the Army's point of view.
If it's the same cut saw last September, then i not "politically correct" at all. There's not an ounce of cliched nationalistic messages in this film. I was actually surprised the US military didn't make a fuss about their portrail in this film.
Old 01-11-04, 01:44 AM

I liked it, but the tone of the movie is really messed up, is it supposed to be a comedy? Or a serious drama? I think I would have preferred a more consistent tone throughout. It's definitely worth seeing, I'll probably buy it.
Old 01-11-04, 01:46 AM

If i were a video store clerk i would categorize it under "dark comedy".
Old 01-11-04, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I do not think that I will buy the dvd, but I watched it twice within the last few days. I thought it was a drama with dark comedy sprinkled in. I have not seen too much of Joaquin Phoenix, but I thought he did a great job in this movie.
Old 01-11-04, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks, for the feedback guys.

i'll definitely give this one a rental.
Old 01-11-04, 03:58 AM

Originally posted by Saxofonix
I heard the finished movie was bought for distribution on Sept 10, 2001 at the Toronto International Film Fest. Miramax sat on it for a while.
Old 01-11-04, 09:53 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I remember reading all these very favourable reviews from the British film press liking this film and such, and then actually seeing the film and thinking how underwhelming it was. As ArchibaldTuttle noted "the tone of the movie is really messed up" - how very true.