DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Jacob's Ladder (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/340388-jacobs-ladder.html)

n0fear88 01-10-04 03:16 PM

Jacob's Ladder

hi a friend of mine recommended that i guy this dvd

but i wanted to see wat u guys opinion of the movie is?

he says it really good....but other reviews will be welcome :)

thanx

G x

Cosmic Bus 01-10-04 03:36 PM

Excellent movie; not as scary as I'd been led to believe (the trailer freaked me out when I was younger), but still has it's share of unsettling moments. The disc is better than Artisan's packaging shows, as well. There are a good amount of extras on it that aren't mentioned on the box for some reason.

Mourn 01-10-04 03:47 PM

Enjoyable movie, not scary however.

Crocker Jarmen 01-10-04 04:02 PM

Jacob's Ladder is one of the saddest, most unsetteling movies I've ever seen. I've watched it quite a few times over the years, and I remember once shutting it off because it was becoming too much for me to take.

I don't know if I'd quite call it a horror movie, even though it's loaded with disturbing imagery. Because of my families history, my biggest fear is that one day I would become mad/schizophrenic. This movie shows what I imagine that state of mind to be.

It's a very well done, unusual movie. I'd recommand it to anyone who is interested in movies.

And yes, the DVD does have a lot of extras (commentary, deleted scenes ect.) that aren't mentioned on the box.

Pants 01-10-04 04:29 PM

Originally posted by Mourn
Enjoyable movie, not scary however.
It's VERY scarry. I watched this for a second time in college and I leapt so hard at one moment that I hurt my leg. That's right, this film causes physical injury! Be Careful!

atlantamoi 01-10-04 04:50 PM

And it's the kind of film you might want to watch more than once... I didn't get it all the first time. But I'm not sure why after seeing it again!! Can be scary.. and sad it is.

gutwrencher 01-10-04 05:51 PM

disturbed me for many days...after seeing it for the first time during it's theatrical run. a great film and one that is in need of a nice, fat 2-disc special edition...with all the trimmings. an isolated score would be nice. perfect music atmosphere helped make the film even more depressing.

spongebobkay 01-10-04 05:55 PM

When I watch it like this....http://deephousepage.com/smilies/hidesbehindsofa.gif it's not scary at all!

caiman 01-10-04 06:11 PM

This movie scared the piss out of me.

If you watch it, make sure to watch it alone and in the dark. And crank up the volume.

rushmore223 01-10-04 07:46 PM

Excellent, Disturbing film! The kind of movie you and your friends will be arguing over for quite some time. Definitely worth buying.

Darryl 01-10-04 08:12 PM

Originally posted by gutwrencher
disturbed me for many days...after seeing it for the first time during it's theatrical run. a great film and one that is in need of a nice, fat 2-disc special edition...with all the trimmings. an isolated score would be nice. perfect music atmosphere helped make the film even more depressing.
I agree completely! Loved the film when it hit theaters and was one of the most anticipated DVDs to own several years ago. I found the Jacob's Ladder CD soundtrack for fourty-nine cents at a Tower Records cutout outlet on 4th & B'way. A complete re-release score from Varese Sarabande is overdue.

fnordboy 01-10-04 08:33 PM

I love this movie. I saw this countless times...odd that I don't own this yet on DVD.

It isn't really scary, but like others have said it is unsettling.

I am surprised to see so many people on here who like it. I find when I talk to others about it a lot of them don't care for it.

I definitely need to pick this one up. Any word on what is the best release (any region)?

Autotelik 01-10-04 09:36 PM

Hmm.. this has been on my GreenCine queue for a while now, but it sounds interesting enough for me to bump it up a bit.

Question: many of you say it's unsettling, and I even saw a mention of schizophrenia. Is it like "Pi"?

SilverScreen 01-10-04 09:57 PM

I love this movie. I saw this countless times...odd that I don't own this yet on DVD.

It isn't really scary, but like others have said it is unsettling.

My sentiments exactly.

Definitely worth picking up.

Tarnower 01-11-04 08:42 AM

It's like a fever dream. One long, disturbing bad dream. Loved it!

talemyn 01-11-04 02:29 PM

gut . . . you've served me well in the past . . . good blind buy?

Anyone else is welcome to answer, too. :D

Edit: BTW . . . it's only $9.96 at DDD . . .

gutwrencher 01-11-04 02:34 PM

Originally posted by talemyn
gut . . . you've served me well in the past . . . good blind buy?

Anyone else is welcome to answer, too. :D

Edit: BTW . . . it's only $9.96 at DDD . . .

I would say....yes. the film is very well done, creepy and well acted. it's required viewing for me...one of those films/dvds I rotate in the schedule.:thumbsup:

n0fear88 01-11-04 03:58 PM

ooops sorry didnt realize this was in wrong forum...

but thanx for all ur responses :)

i ordered the movie over the weekend and its been shipped so ill get it during the week! *yay*

thanx again!

G x

chente 04-26-04 02:20 PM

I saw this for the first time last night and really liked it. Pretty creepy visuals and Elizabeth Pena is hawt. I wouldn't say that it is a scary but it made me jump a couple of times.

nemein 04-26-04 02:34 PM

VERY GOOD movie, I also found it more disturbing/thought provoking than scary. GREAT DVD, probably the only one (if they haven't fixed it yet) w/ a director's commentary as an "easter egg" (the packaging doesn't mention it -eek-).