DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Lost in Translation: why do my friends hate it? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/339683-lost-translation-why-do-my-friends-hate.html)

conscience 10-11-10 08:28 AM

Re: Lost in Translation: why do my friends hate it?

My favorite film of the past decade. Amazing in every way.

zombeaner 10-11-10 09:17 AM

It took two viewings for me to warm up to this film, but now I really love it.

AVP77 10-11-10 10:58 AM

I like this movie quite a bit, but I think the two main characters are self-centred jerks.

superdeluxe 10-11-10 11:19 AM

I wanted to know what he whispered into her ear.

iggystar 10-11-10 11:26 AM

Didn't hate but was completely underwhelmed. I might have to watch it again to see if I feel the same.

Throwing Copper 10-11-10 03:11 PM

Loved this film from the first time I saw it.

I do understand how it might be boring to some people. I can also remember some female friends of mine not liking the ending very much.

Dr Mabuse 10-11-10 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe (Post 10423835)

It's on Youtube if you want to know.

Dr Mabuse 10-11-10 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by conscience (Post 10423547)
My favorite film of the past decade. Amazing in every way.

Absolutely. An amazing film.

That Bill didn't take home the Oscar is sickening. All because Sean Penn went on yet another of his 'Oscar campaigns', kissing ass and chumming it up with influential people to get votes, and he won for a mediocre performance in a mediocre film.

nando820 10-11-10 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull (Post 10423445)
i still love this film and it's probably in my top 30 films of all time. i can't wait to revisit it on blu-ray.

Have it on HD-DVD can revisit it right now if I wanted to :P .... but I'm work so i really can't

Mike_C 10-11-10 05:01 PM

Ugh.

This is absolutely one of the most achingly stupid films ever made.

Who in the world could relate to a pair of idiotic xenophobes in a hotel room amazed and endlessly amused by the fact that in a foreign country people don't - get this - they don't speak English! No way!

So a recent graduate school graduate doesn't own any books, and feels lonely in Japan... staring out the window... give me a break. YOU'RE IN JAPAN! Go for a walk! Get drunk at a local pub! Go to the local izakaya! Talk about a loser.

The scene with the call girl coming on to Bill Murray is one of the most insultingly stupid pieces ever committed to film. It would only play to people who know nothing about Japan and have some sense of self righteous cultural superiority. I've been in Osaka and Nara, and get this - working girls will leave you alone if you ask them to. Wow! Amazing! But I guess if you find it entertaining to look at a completely contrived bit of cultural illiteracy, hey, there you go.

I was married to Japanese woman, and I speak Kansai-ben. When the two of us put this on, we both were confused after about twenty minutes: That's it? What the - ?

After an hour we shut it off, as it became unwatchably stupid. How can you sympathize with a couple of mopers doing everything possible to alienate themselves from their environment?

Now, lest this seem as though I criticize because of its Japanese setting, consider this - if the film was set in New York, or Bali, or Spain, it would be virtually the same. Being in Japan brings NOTHING to the table when you have such profoundly unsympathetic characters. Putting them there just adds a false element of 'exotica' to their surroundings, when their surrounding were anything but. Jeez, what a dumb, dumb film.

inri222 10-11-10 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe (Post 10423835)

Rosebud

Supermallet 10-11-10 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mike_C (Post 10424506)
Ugh.

Who in the world could relate to a pair of idiotic xenophobes in a hotel room amazed and endlessly amused by the fact that in a foreign country people don't - get this - they don't speak English! No way!

So a recent graduate school graduate doesn't own any books, and feels lonely in Japan... staring out the window... give me a break. YOU'RE IN JAPAN! Go for a walk! Get drunk at a local pub! Go to the local izakaya! Talk about a loser.

The scene with the call girl coming on to Bill Murray is one of the most insultingly stupid pieces ever committed to film. It would only play to people who know nothing about Japan and have some sense of self righteous cultural superiority. I've been in Osaka and Nara, and get this - working girls will leave you alone if you ask them to. Wow! Amazing! But I guess if you find it entertaining to look at a completely contrived bit of cultural illiteracy, hey, there you go.

I was married to Japanese woman, and I speak Kansai-ben. When the two of us put this on, we both were confused after about twenty minutes: That's it? What the - ?

After an hour we shut it off, as it became unwatchably stupid. How can you sympathize with a couple of mopers doing everything possible to alienate themselves from their environment?

Now, lest this seem as though I criticize because of its Japanese setting, consider this - if the film was set in New York, or Bali, or Spain, it would be virtually the same. Being in Japan brings NOTHING to the table when you have such profoundly unsympathetic characters. Putting them there just adds a false element of 'exotica' to their surroundings, when their surrounding were anything but. Jeez, what a dumb, dumb film.

cornbetts?

Solid Snake 10-11-10 05:25 PM

Ugh.

You must not watch a lot of films...

kefrank 10-11-10 05:35 PM

I guess I fall somewhere in the middle of the hyperbole being thrown around, even now. I thought this movie had its share of flaws. The most glaring one, for me, was that Anna Faris' character was such a caricature in a movie that otherwise takes itself pretty seriously. That felt pretty contrived, along with a couple of other plot elements.

However, the movie still manages to capture a specific mood and atmosphere extremely well. Thematically, I thought it drew some interesting comparisons between the mid-life crisis and more-and-more-common "mid-twenties crisis" that tends to occur after the coming-of-age period that so many other films focus on. All-in-all, it's one I keep in my collection because of the feel that it captures for me.

nando820 10-11-10 05:37 PM

Ugh.

nando820 disagrees :mad:

AVP77 10-11-10 05:39 PM

So a recent graduate school graduate doesn't own any books, and feels lonely in Japan... staring out the window... give me a break. YOU'RE IN JAPAN! Go for a walk!

Since there's really nothing in the film other than Charlotte's statement in a bar to say she's a Philosophy grad, I find it a lot easier to take that as the kind of lie you would say to a stranger in a bar half a world away. Not that I know whether Coppola meant it that way or not (and in the end it's unimportant) but it actually adds a layer of characterization if it's a lie, and imho, makes sense.

Though I do agree that it's pretty lame that they spend so much time in Japan just in their hotel bar listening to a band imported from the West. It's one step from Homer Simpson's vacation to Japan: "Let's go eat at Americatown!" :D

I still like the movie, but I figure on those nights, some of the other characters seemed a lot more interesting to hang around with - like Charlie Brown.

Sondheim 10-11-10 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10423275)
Orson Scott Card's comments are also quite puzzling to me. Who comes out of this movie thinking it's a movie about Japan? It's a movie about two disconnected souls who find each other. Japan is just the setting that allows it to happen.

Orson Scott Card has made a lot of puzzling comments on his website. Putting aside his really special political opinions (he's fond of the term "Leftaliban" and believes that homosexual acts should be outlawed), he has a strong dislike of what he deems to be "self-conscious" artistry, whether in literature or film or anything else (with occasional exceptions - he did love "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" and "Donnie Darko".) And he's constantly ranting about those damned elitists who read and praise "unreadable" books with unlikeable characters (anything by Joyce, Vonnegut, McCarthy, etc.)

He also produced this amazing quote:

Originally Posted by Orson Scott Card
But many of you will think, as I do, that this is a masterpiece that makes you aware of just how silly, empty, and shallow Citizen Kane is.

What Citizen Kane pretends to be, Donnie Darko really is.

No, it doesn't really make much more sense in context. I've liked a lot of Card's novels, and there's no denying that he's an intelligent person - but I've learned that it's best just to ignore his opinions on politics or art.

Supermallet 10-11-10 06:17 PM

I already knew his opinions on politics, but...yeah.

NIMH Rat 10-11-10 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse (Post 10424310)
Absolutely. An amazing film.

That Bill didn't take home the Oscar is sickening. All because Sean Penn went on yet another of his 'Oscar campaigns', kissing ass and chumming it up with influential people to get votes, and he won for a mediocre performance in a mediocre film.

Having read the script, I'm in awe of how much Bill Murray owns the content. His character in the script basically doesn't say a word until he shoots the commercial ("more intensity, etc."). Murray pretty much embodied the character and gave him a voice.

Oh, and whoever thinks this movie is racist or doesn't represent the "real" Tokyo can **** off.

Jack Straw 10-11-10 09:14 PM

This is one of my favorite movies from any year. Where some people cannot get drawn into the characters, I totally became invested in them. This one has high re-watch appeal, and I will definitely be picking it up on BD after I find out that it's been released. The movie works much better with them not having sex.

sleepyhead55 10-12-10 01:44 AM

I saw this in the theater when it came out like 6 or 7 years ago. A few years ago I bought the dvd used for less than 5 bucks. On subsequent viewings, I have come to appreciate the film even more. I just love the quietness of this film. It's not one of those loud films that draws attention to itself for the most part. Depending on how I feel, I can either watch this as a dramatic comedy or a character study.

The karaoke scenes are both hiliarious and touching at the same time. It doesn't hurt that the singing by Johansson and Murray is awful. I feel happy after watching this film and I know that'll sound really weird but after watching this it lifts my spirits. The soundtrack is great too and adds to the mood of the film.

Can't wait to pick it up in January on BD if the rumors are true.

Sean O'Hara 10-12-10 09:21 AM

Did you actually watch the movie? She does all that -- she wanders around Tokyo, goes to Kyoto, hangs out with Japanese friends at clubs. Her alienation is deeper than being in a foreign country, and saying she should just go out for a drink shows a shallow understanding of her character.

Mabuse 10-12-10 04:19 PM

Go to the local izakaya!...I've been in Osaka and Nara... I was married to Japanese woman...

Jacking off to hentai doesn't count. I picture you in your mom's basement wearing a Kimba the White Lion t-shirt, furiously posting on the internet about your Japanese "cred".

inri222 10-12-10 05:10 PM

http://rlv.zcache.com/kimba_the_whit...15uye8_400.jpg

Trout 10-12-10 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55 (Post 10425296)
I just love the quietness of this film. It's not one of those loud films that draws attention to itself for the most part. Depending on how I feel, I can either watch this as a dramatic comedy or a character study.

The karaoke scenes are both hiliarious and touching at the same time. It doesn't hurt that the singing by Johansson and Murray is awful. I feel happy after watching this film and I know that'll sound really weird but after watching this it lifts my spirits. The soundtrack is great too and adds to the mood of the film.

This right here pretty much sums it up.

GreenVulture 10-12-10 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse (Post 10424310)
That Bill didn't take home the Oscar is sickening.

Why? It's just a slightly more serious riff on his sad sack role in Rushmore (which is the movie he should have gotten an Oscar for and has been the template for almost every Murray performance since then).

Saw this movie twice. Each time after the credits rolled, I've thought to myself, "Solid movie...so what else is on?"

Mike_C 10-12-10 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse (Post 10426648)
Jacking off to hentai doesn't count. I picture you in your mom's basement wearing a Kimba the White Lion t-shirt, furiously posting on the internet about your Japanese "cred".

Sure thing. You can tell by my high post count how much I relish posting about anything. Yeesh.

And of course, if I articulate a dislike for a film you care about, it makes sense to launch personal attacks and put downs - coming from someone with over 1,500 posts, it does seem a bit ironic that you accuse me of 'furiously posting'. Pot, meet kettle.

Well, I'm out. It was a lousy film, you may disagree. That's what art does to people, no? Creates differences in interpretation and emotional involvement.

musick 10-12-10 09:56 PM

in case I didn't answer earlier in the thread.....

..... because your freinds have good taste apparently

Decker 06-05-18 01:08 AM

I just watched this tonight with my daughter. First time I’ve seen it since it was new on DVD almost 15 years ago. Man, I enjoyed it so much more now (and I liked it then). Maybe because it’s a different point in my life or maybe because I miss that particular version of Bill Murray. In any case, what an amazing, touching movie.

Maybe 15 years is the right amount of time to elapse between viewings of a movie you really liked? It was long enough to erase almost all memories of the scenes, but still remember the plot points (such as they are here) and the general vibe of the film.

I read a Tweet after Spike Jonze won a Best Original Screenplay Oscar that this movie and Her are two Oscar-winning meditations from both sides of the same failed marriage. It’s a fascinating theory — especially when you consider how both writer/directors view Scarlett Johansson’s character (as either an intriguing observer or a master manipulator) and how much Giovanni Ribisi’s photographer character indeed looks like Spike.

Why So Blu? 06-05-18 01:28 AM

I've yet to see this film.

Hazel Motes 06-05-18 01:31 AM

The only movie from this millenium that makes my Top 5 favorite movies of all-time list.

Ash Ketchum 06-05-18 06:14 AM

Wow, thanks to Mabuse, Mike C's tenure on this board was pretty short. -eek-

(If it wasn't for the six-year thread bump, followed by an eight-year one, I never would have noticed.)

TheMovieman 06-05-18 10:30 AM

I saw this in the theaters and loved it then, still love it now. Probably ranks in my top 5 as well.

Mabuse 06-05-18 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 13346174)
Wow, thanks to Mabuse, Mike C's tenure on this board was pretty short. -eek-

(If it wasn't for the six-year thread bump, followed by an eight-year one, I never would have noticed.)

Go read his review, we are better off without him. It is funny how he points to my then 1,500 post count. Wow I've posted a lot.

inri222 06-05-18 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13346147)
I read a Tweet after Spike Jonze won a Best Original Screenplay Oscar that this movie and Her are two Oscar-winning meditations from both sides of the same failed marriage.

Very interesting, even though I love LOT and disliked Her.

rbrown498 06-06-18 01:15 AM

Thanks to the bump, I just discovered this thread. To be honest, I never really knew that anyone vehemently despised this film...but, then again, it's my favorite movie. Not of the millennium, not of the last 25 years, but of all time. (See my avatar for further proof.)

Decker suggested that 15 years is a good amount of time to have elapse before rewatching a film you like. I find myself watching Lost in Translation about every six months or so. It speaks to me on so many levels that I find myself aching to see it again very often. I lived in Japan for a while between 2002 and 2004, and since I can't get back to visit very often, this film has become my substitute round-trip ticket. Because it was made during the time that I lived there, it's almost like stepping back into photographs that I took. For me, it's able to immediately conjure an aching nostalgia which I find comforting to wallow in every so often.

As to whether it's a great film or merely a good film, I can' say...and it really doesn't matter. I think that the films that touch us the most are the ones that we have the most difficulty giving reasons as to why we love them.

Winfred0000 08-25-22 02:30 AM

Hi Brent L!

Thank you for your very cogent and lucid analysis of "Lost in Translation". I also think that movie goers mainly are accustomed to expect action and fast paced plots. People who like LIT are not that type of viewer, either that or the there is the other viewer who appreciates many genres and has the capacity to like the inward drama theme. I think those who didn't like LIT it just wasn't their genre.

Those who thought "racist" didn't see Charlotte's two trips to Kyoto and the second one was a beautiful traditional Japanese wedding procession to the temple. Also the nonverbal beautiful part where that lady in traditional dress shows Charlotte the placement of the flowers which I think is a facet of "Feng Shui", an ancient tradition of organizing and respecting one's space in life that is part of Shinto religion, but not sure. Also there were the parts with Charlotte introducing Bob and having fun with her Japanese friends, all respectful of her friends and celebrating together.

I think that Bob and Charlotte met again after the story. Bob even has his car stopped. He made a very considerable effort to catch up to her. The moments before Bob was looking very distraught and also even when posing with the Japanese crew he couldn't pose for the picture or smile he just looked toward Charlotte. Going backwards ha! Also at the fire alarm meeting Bob said he wasn't sure about going back and a big deal was Charlotte said "So don't. Stay here with me. We'll start a Jazz band." and she laughed but Bob didn't. Really though the "So don't..." part was seriously said as even Charlotte's tone of voice dropped (a kind of tonal linguistic aspect of the English language), a sign of seriousness.

Also I didn't see Bob wearing his wedding ring. Even in the very final kiss he holds Charlotte's head in his hand and his left hand is major on the screen. He does not have his wedding ring on. Although the last printer scene was Charlotte's printer and John saying he would be there that evening and signed it "Love John" but it is the same means of distant communicating as Bob had with his wife... not sure if that's meant as a parallel.

I think in the end Bob told her he'd be meeting her and that it wasn't over. The contrast is how happy and relieved each of them look as they pass on. Also in an interview Bill was asked what he had whispered in the last scene and all he said that what was said was only what would be between two lovers, like that is a sacred domain thus meaning their relationship would last beyond the story. To me that underlines everything about them meeting again. Also I think the closing song title is, "Just Like Honey" meaning their relationship was so.

What do you think about those points? Are they relevant enough to reveal the whispered words? If you don't have time I fully understand. Thanks again!

Carpe Diem!
Winfred

Count Dooku 08-25-22 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Winfred0000 (Post 14153406)
Hi Brent L

What do you think about those points? Are they relevant enough to reveal the whispered words? If you don't have time I fully understand. Thanks again!

You're 8 years too late to get an answer. But here's a GIF of ScarJo to look at.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...fc613b84be.gif

Winfred0000 08-25-22 09:24 AM

Hi Count Kooku!

As usual I'm behind the times. I have to laugh at myself as it wasn't until this morning looking to see if Brent L responded and to see if my response still sounded rational or not... that I realized some of the comments are from 2006 etc. but a few in 2018... but still. You're saying Brent L will never respond? What if he is still a member? Do they get a notice to their regular email box? Maybe even still the years strangely pass too quickly. I never knew the movie existed until I saw it in our public library. I wonder why there are no comments as it appears this movie has taken momentum over the years. After checking the movie out about 3 times the librarian gave me a look. I knew then I better get the DVD. I feel kind of guilty but watched it about 10 times in past 5 years and more this past 2 years now I have the DVD. I still hope Brent L sees it somehow, or others. Do you know him? With no activity in years, how did you find me? Are you one of the administrators?

Thanks!
Winfred

ViewAskewbian 08-25-22 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Winfred0000 (Post 14153499)
Hi Count Kooku!

As usual I'm behind the times. I have to laugh at myself as it wasn't until this morning looking to see if Brent L responded and to see if my response still sounded rational or not... that I realized some of the comments are from 2006 etc. but a few in 2018... but still. You're saying Brent L will never respond? What if he is still a member? Do they get a notice to their regular email box? Maybe even still the years strangely pass too quickly. I never knew the movie existed until I saw it in our public library. I wonder why there are no comments as it appears this movie has taken momentum over the years. After checking the movie out about 3 times the librarian gave me a look. I knew then I better get the DVD. I feel kind of guilty but watched it about 10 times in past 5 years and more this year now I have the DVD. I still hope Brent L sees it somehow, or others. Do you know him? With no activity in years, how did you find me? Are you one of the administrators?

Thanks!
Winfred

"Lost in Translation” is a 2003 comedy drama film directed by Sofia Coppola. The film's plot follows a Tokyo couple's weekend in the United States, where they encounter numerous cultural differences. The movie is notable for its high level of emotion and its success at blending emotion with comedy. It is also notable for its humor, which makes effective use of cultural differences to deliver a humorous perspective on life's trials and tribulations. Despite its high acclaim and popularity, "Lost in Translation" has been the source of much debate. The movie's humor and emotion are effective because they are delivered in a way that is relatable and universal. However, some find the movie to be too emotional and not enough in the comedy department.

The humor and emotion in the film’s storyline are touching in the way they reflect real life experiences. The film's protagonist, Charlotte, is a successful actress living in Tokyo who goes to Los Angeles on a business trip. She is accompanied by her husband, John, who is also an actor. While in the United States, they encounter many cultural differences, including a different language, sexual mores and customs, and a different way of thinking. One of the film's most memorable scenes takes place when John and Charlotte try to communicate with an elderly woman. The woman is apparently deaf, so John goes up to her and taps her on the shoulder. The woman turns around to see John trying to pick up a piece of clothing, and she promptly faints. Charlotte and John are visibly devastated by this experience, and it is this type of humor that helps bring levity to the film's otherwise difficult subject matter.

One way that the film effectively uses humor is that it employs cultural differences as a source of comedy. The film makes effective use of cultural differences such as the linguistic barrier between Japanese and American sign language. Many people have difficulty picturing the Japanese sign language that Charlotte uses, so the American actor uses his own body language to communicate with Charlotte in the scene where he faints. This scene is a hilarious example of cultural differences coming together to create humor. The way that the film portrays these differences makes them fun to learn about, which is why the film's humor is so effective. This film is entertaining because it makes learning about cultural differences seem like a fun thing to do. The film makes these differences seem manageable and not threatening by making them funny— and that is why they are so effective.

Emotion is a notable element of “Lost in Translation” because it makes the movie relatable on a personal level. The reason that this movie is so effective at delivering emotion is because it is so personal. The film's premise revolves around a couple's weekend in the United States. The movie is based on Coppola's own experience of going to the United States with her then-husband, Nicolas Cage. Therefore, the movie makes emotions personal by making them relatable. The audience can easily connect with the characters' experiences because they are seeing them from a first-hand perspective. The movie makes emotions relatable by making them a part of the movie's main character's story.
Some moviegoers may not find “Lost in Translation” humorous and may find it boring instead. For some people, humor is not the main draw of movies and may be a secondary element in a film's plot. Conversely, not everyone will find "Lost in Translation" to be amusing. Some people may find the film's humor to be too subtle and difficult to understand.

Despite its positive qualities, “Lost in Translation” is sometimes criticized for being overly artsy and elitist. Some people believe that the film's high level of emotion makes it overly sentimental and unwatchable. The film is highly regarded, but some moviegoers may not agree with how the film portrays life's trials and tribulations. Some moviegoers may feel that the film's high level of emotion is overblown and unrealistic.

Despite its negative qualities, "Lost in Translation" is an entertaining movie that delivers humor and emotion effectively. The film's humor and emotion are effective because they are delivered in a way that is relatable and universal. However, some moviegoers may not find it humorous and may find it boring instead. Despite its positive qualities, "Lost in Translation" is sometimes criticized for being overly artsy and elitist. Some moviegoers may find the film's high level of emotion to be overblown and unrealistic. Despite this, however, "Lost in Translation" is a highly entertaining film that is worth watching.