DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Ridley Scott's 'Tripoli'...in 2007! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/338837-ridley-scotts-tripoli-2007-a.html)

Tarantino 01-02-04 09:23 PM

Ridley Scott's 'Tripoli'...in 2007!

Yep, it's been announced that R. Scott will direct Tripoli...and it's due for a 2007 release date? Oh well. So far we're looking at Keanu Reeves and Ben Kingsley. Here's the jist...

"This is the grand epic adventure of how William Eaton (Reeves), a diplomat representing President Thomas Jefferson and the United States in North Africa, joined forces with Hamet Karamanli, the exiled heir to the throne of the Barbary Coast nation of Tripoli (now called Libya) in 1804 to overthrow a corrupt ruler (Hamet's brother) who had taken his place. Organizing a relatively small group of 500 soldiers comprised of U.S. Marines (does "to the shores of Tripoli" sound familiar?), Arabs and Greeks, Eaton successfully marched across 600 miles of desert to storm and capture the seaport of Derna in April, 1805. Eaton and his men then prepared to continue their fight all the way to the capital city of Tripoli..."

Linky Here

jekbrown 01-02-04 09:44 PM

any movie about Marines is a good thing. :) Now, if we could only get speilberg to do a movie about Iwo... :hump:

j

HistoryProf 01-03-04 12:23 AM

Keanu Reeves? seriously?

-ohbfrank-

Corvin 01-03-04 12:25 AM

2007? Damn.

Drexl 01-03-04 12:55 AM

Hey, at least it'll be out before the Blade Runner SE DVD.

thegame370 01-03-04 02:39 AM

Originally posted by brizz
Keanu Reeves? seriously?

-ohbfrank-

Hey dude, back off! Check my sig! :)

Rivero 01-03-04 05:14 AM

Here's hoping it's better than Scott's last four films. The guy used to make masterpieces early in his career, now he seems pre-occupied with mainstream pap.

Decker 01-03-04 12:51 PM

Hate to disagree, Rivero, but there was nothing mainstream about Black Hawk Down. That was a gutsy, unflinching work. He gets a lot of respect from me for that one. I also thought Gladiator was a well made, suprisingly emotional actiion flick that probably would have been far less successful in another director's hands.

Now as far as Hannibal goes, swing away, that film's a turd.

fumanstan 01-03-04 01:58 PM

As a Keanu fan, i can't wait :)

lesterlong 01-03-04 02:14 PM

As an epic adventure fan I'm looking forward to it. Too bad Keanu is in it though.

B.A. 01-03-04 02:24 PM

Originally posted by Decker
Hate to disagree, Rivero, but there was nothing mainstream about Black Hawk Down. That was a gutsy, unflinching work. He gets a lot of respect from me for that one. I also thought Gladiator was a well made, suprisingly emotional actiion flick that probably would have been far less successful in another director's hands.

:up: My thought's exactly.

QuiGonJosh 01-03-04 03:38 PM

Reeves...Ridley...OMG! Whoa! I am so on board!

thegame370 01-04-04 05:32 AM

Originally posted by fumanstan
As a Keanu fan, i can't wait :)
:thumbsup:

futbol 01-04-04 06:19 PM

Originally posted by Decker
You know, I actually like Hannibal.

With Scott in, I can't wait for this. Unfortunately, it's a long wait.

matrixrok9 01-05-04 01:18 AM

his next movie sounds more interesting to me, it'll be about the crusades!!

Spooky 01-05-04 04:47 AM

Originally posted by brizz
Keanu Reeves? seriously?

-ohbfrank-

That's what I was thinking! Ridley's going to be pulling his hair out. I'm guessing that bit of casting is being forced on him by the studio...I know he's the kind of guy who only wants good actors in his films.