Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Peter Pan Overlooked? That OTHER great Fairy Tale

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-03, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess it is tough out there with ROTK deservedly getting so much attention and so many $$$, but I found some time to devote to this film, and I have to say that it is the best of all the previous versions. I literally felt like I was turniing the pages of J.M. Barries book, and found myself forgetting that I was 32 and not a 10 year old kid. If you have kids, take them to see this, or if you just like the classic fairy Tales told intelligently and faithfully by a director who cares about his source material, go see this.

Anyone else swept away as I was by this film?
Old 12-30-03, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I enjoyed it but I'm pretty biased.. I love Peter Pan.
Old 12-30-03, 11:44 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by PixyJunket
I enjoyed it but I'm pretty biased.. I love Peter Pan.
I think I've visited your website.
Old 12-30-03, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Groucho
I think I've visited your website.
Shh.. I'm incognito here!
Old 12-30-03, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I haven't seen it, but I'm very surprised by the fact that it bombed. I was certain it was going to be huge.
Old 12-30-03, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

maybe it was just me, but I thought the trailer looked TERRIBLE... not to mention how disturbing it was. "come here wendy, just jump out of this window with me and you'll never have to worry about parents rules again!". Thank gawd the movie isnt a blockbuster, kids everywhere would prolly be hurling themselves out of upperstory windows to their deaths!

j
Old 12-30-03, 01:14 PM
Banned

the movie was great...I loved it...a wonderful adaption that captured the spirit of the book greatly!
Old 12-30-03, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jekbrown
Thank gawd the movie isnt a blockbuster, kids everywhere would prolly be hurling themselves out of upperstory windows to their deaths!
Only stupid kids whose parents couldn't learn them well enough that jumping out of windows = pain..
Old 12-30-03, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

sad as it is, a majority of adults are idiots... and therefore a majority of kids have an idiot or 2 raising them.

j
Old 12-30-03, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
The trailers didnt impress me, so the weak box office performance was no surprise to me. I'm slightly interested, but not enough to go watch it in theaters.
Old 12-30-03, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by jekbrown
maybe it was just me, but I thought the trailer looked TERRIBLE... not to mention how disturbing it was. "come here wendy, just jump out of this window with me and you'll never have to worry about parents rules again!". Thank gawd the movie isnt a blockbuster, kids everywhere would prolly be hurling themselves out of upperstory windows to their deaths!

j
I've heard they mess around with magical things too. I think it's important to keep kids away from such satanic influences!
Old 12-30-03, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sad as it is, a majority of adults are idiots... and therefore a majority of kids have an idiot or 2 raising them.
Give me a f**kin' break!
Old 12-30-03, 06:38 PM
Banned

Im gonna have to agree that quite a few parents are idiots...I work at a daycare and have seen my share of idiotic parents...so...

ITS A MOVIE!
Old 12-30-03, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought it was alright. I've never read the book, so I can't say that I was impressed by how the pages were magically brought to life. I can, however, admit that I was impressed by the visuals. Everything else about the movie, on the other hand, did not.
Old 12-30-03, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

why don't people use search!!!! Sorry, I know people are tired of hearing it, but it seems like every other week another "review" type thread i've started gets restarted.... oh well... maybe a mod can merge these... here's the first PETER PAN THREAD

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=337391

MATT
Old 12-30-03, 11:25 PM

gee sorry, god forbid there might be two Peter Pan threads on DVDTalk. Especially since part of the topic was about how I felt the film was being overlooked.
Old 12-31-03, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
I think "HOOK" has the majority of the public turned off to Peter Pan.

However, this is the 1st time a live action PETER PAN has been in theaters from what I understand.
Old 12-31-03, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by mdc3000
why don't people use search!!!! Sorry, I know people are tired of hearing it, but it seems like every other week another "review" type thread i've started gets restarted.... oh well... maybe a mod can merge these... here's the first PETER PAN THREAD

MATT
I didn't see this as a review thread like the first one was.
Old 12-31-03, 09:26 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Peter Pan Overlooked? That OTHER great Fairy Tale

Originally posted by rushmore223
I guess it is tough out there with ROTK deservedly getting so much attention and so many $$$, but I found some time to devote to this film, and I have to say that it is the best of all the previous versions. I literally felt like I was turniing the pages of J.M. Barries book, and found myself forgetting that I was 32 and not a 10 year old kid. If you have kids, take them to see this, or if you just like the classic fairy Tales told intelligently and faithfully by a director who cares about his source material, go see this.

Anyone else swept away as I was by this film?
I have completely agree with you, this movie was simply stunning. The flight into Neverland was astonding. (I actual teared up cause the effect was so overwhelming). The acting was top notch, the action scenes done with such aplomb and intensity. The crocodile was rightfully scary - wow. I was surprised that the PG rating slipped in some geniunally harrowning child harassment, Hook's treatment to them was pretty damn nasty (and the number of fellow pirates he casually shot, was pretty nonchalent and a tad shocking).

A minor complaint was the buildup of Mr. Darling character that somewhat didn't seem to have a resolution. Did I miss it, or are we to assume that because of the acceptance of the lost boys and the return of their children he becomes more competant at his job or does he just takes the gold for his family to live off of.
Old 01-01-04, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally posted by mdc3000

MATT
Yes, I am tired of hearing it. There are way too many people around here telling others to do a search first. This is not the first multiple thread and it's not going to be the last. So why don't you just save yourself the time and stress and leave the policing to the mods please. I'm sure they will merge or close the threads if they feel it becomes a problem. For the record? I did do a search just now for both Peter Pan and "Peter Pan" and I got the following:

vBulletin Message
The search term you specified (pan) is under the minimum word length (4) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer.
If this term contains a wildcard, please make this term more specific.

Not sure why I got that. You'd think at the very least this thread would show up. But it didn't. Still curious, I went through the first six pages manually in Movie Talk and found a whopping two threads on this subject. Hardly something to get worked up over. I did see quite a few "Kill Bill" threads though. So that said, I think you overreacted here. Plus, and I've said this before, the search feature on this site clearly isn't the best.