Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I actually liked Gigli

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

I actually liked Gigli

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-03, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I actually liked Gigli

Over the Christmas weekend I did something I have been waiting to do a long time, rent "Gigli" and see how bad it really was. The clerk at the video store looked at me [this was Hollywood Video] rather strangely as I rented the only copy [bsesides the VHS one] that the store had. Walking out, it's like everyone there was looking down on me and saying things under their breath.

I got home and quickly rushed to my room, pressed power and inserted the disc, selected widescreen and no subtitles, and watched.

And to be honest, I liked it, almost loved it. Yes, the movie had problems. I think I have never heard the "F" word as many times in one movie, not even in gangster or copy movies, nor teen movies, or black movies. And my other problem, being that I wish that there could have been more Al Pacino and Christopher Walken. And my only other problem being that some [mostly the ones in the first half hour of the movie] of the background musics sounded like pieces for car commercials, insurance salesmen, or elevators.

Yet I liked it, and enjoyed it quite a lot. The dialogs, contrary to what every person here and every critic in the world said, were written quite well and didn't seem like a movie. They seemed like some strange mix of written language, spoken language, and poetry, and were quite interesting. The story was simple, yes, but in the face of stories that try to be TOO complicated, or tend to be too winding or long drawn, it was quite a refreshment. And more than anything, the potential love story [because there was no real love story in the movie] is written quite well. To me it seemed this was barely the meeting of a couple, of a love, unlike the quick meetings and huge romances that occur in the 90 minutes of the typical "chick flick"

And for some reason, I didn't think so badly of the acting either. It was a bit over the top at times, and Jennifer still has her whole "I'm trying to be black thing going on", and the role of Brian was over done at times, it all came together quite well though. I've seen worse in the past years, and some of the big big budget movies that millions love, have much worse to offer in terms of technical skill and stage presence.

So is anyone here with me, did anyone actually enjoy what is supposed to be the worst movie ever? And does anyone think it was actually not just a decent movie considering what was said, but a truly good movie?
Old 12-27-03, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I actually kinda liked it too. I bought it for $6.99 PVD and figured, what the hell. I have Battlefield Earth, Glitter, and I hear that From Justin to Kelly is in the $5.99 bin at WM. Might as well have the 4 worst movies ever made !!
Old 12-27-03, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Agh, Gigli, Battlefield Earth, Justin Vs. Kelly!!! I can't take it terrible movies!!!
Old 12-27-03, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You letting your love for this film shine?

much <3 for gigli! <3
Old 12-27-03, 06:35 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by jaeufraser
Agh, Gigli, Battlefield Earth, Justin Vs. Kelly!!! I can't take it terrible movies!!!
How many of those have you actually seen?
Old 12-27-03, 06:36 PM

Gigli, Battlefield earth, Glitter and From Justin to Kelly?

Where are your copies of Town and Country, Cannonball Run 2 and Hercules in New York?

Bet you cant wait for the DVD releases of Mega Force and Yor, Hunter from the future as well.
Old 12-27-03, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Give me Hercules in N.Y. any day as long as it has Arnold strong in it.
Old 12-27-03, 06:52 PM

I actually liked Gigle as well, and was trying to figure out why the bad reviews, accept for everyone is probably tired of the Bennifer Show.

Anj
Old 12-27-03, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

"It's turkey time, gobble gobble"

nuff said.
Old 12-27-03, 07:11 PM

Which is actually gay slang, much more popular and widely used in the 70's, yet most people today [in a culture which is slang heavy] don't know it..it made sense....and it was better than a lot of cheesy one liners this year....[like pretentious new age spiritualist trash, or cheesy fantasy banter that tries too hard to be dramatic]

Eww, thinking about two movies makes me lose so much shine.
Old 12-27-03, 07:24 PM

Justin Vs. Kelly!!!
If it is a fist fight my money is on Kelly.
Old 12-27-03, 09:33 PM
Li

It's called "From Justin to Kelly", not "Justin Vs. Kelly"! Get it right, people! I actually had the misfortune of taking a cruise in which they played this movie over and over, over the 4 day period.

Last edited by Li; 12-27-03 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-27-03, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

People who claimed Gigli was either the worst of the year or the worst ever have either not seen everything this year or not seen many movies in general.
Old 12-27-03, 10:59 PM

I hate Gigli! You're an idiot for liking it. All the critics hate it too, so why do you like it??? BAH!!! What a HORRIBLE movie!!!! Agghhh, I can't believe Hollywood would make a movie so bad! What happened to J-LO! She used to be SUUUUCh a good actress! Gigli SUCKS! I haven't seen it, but I'm SURE it SUCKSSSS!
Old 12-28-03, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: I actually liked Gigli

Originally posted by sararekuforever
...I have never heard the "F" word as many times in one movie, not even in gangster or copy movies, nor teen movies, or black movies.
I'm confused by this statement. You're saying that because a movie is "black" that it automatically has lots of cursing?
Old 12-28-03, 12:36 AM

No, I mean, "black movies" that assume all black people are gangsters, drug dealers, criminals, thugs, etc. They make them talk in over the top ebonics with the "f" word and the "b" word in between every word.
Old 12-28-03, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Re: I actually liked Gigli

Originally posted by the aftermath
I'm confused by this statement. You're saying that because a movie is "black" that it automatically has lots of cursing?
Generally, yes. You people do swear a lot...no, not "you people", that's not what I meant to say; I mean. Uh...ummm...uhhh...

*runs away*
Old 12-28-03, 12:49 AM

That sounds like something Peter Griffin would say
Old 12-28-03, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by sararekuforever
No, I mean, "black movies" that assume all black people are gangsters, drug dealers, criminals, thugs, etc. They make them talk in over the top ebonics with the "f" word and the "b" word in between every word.
Why didn't you say "white" movies as well then? Last time I checked there were a lot of white gangster movies with a considerable amount of cursing.
Old 12-28-03, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

oh geezz... from Gigli to racial

greeeat
Old 12-28-03, 03:01 PM

Um, because even black comedies, or black romances, have their share of cursing in them, more so than "white" movies.
Old 12-28-03, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

[i]...more so than "white" movies. [/B]
...yeah... white movies like The Sopranos...

. . . . . .
Old 12-28-03, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Li
It's called "From Justin to Kelly", not "Justin Vs. Kelly"! Get it right, people! I actually had the misfortune of taking a cruise in which they played this movie over and over, over the 4 day period.
Yes, the public calls this film From Justin to Kelly. But it's real name is Justin Vs. Kelly cause...that sounds better. Just like how I'll call Gigli Bennifer the movie.
Old 12-28-03, 03:23 PM

Yes, the public calls this film From Justin to Kelly. But it's real name is Justin Vs. Kelly cause...that sounds better. Just like how I'll call Gigli Bennifer the movie.
What will you call Jersey Girl? Bennifer the movie 2? That would be clever.
Old 12-28-03, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by BlackBeauty92
... from Gigli to racial
Is that the sequel to "From Justin to Kelly"?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.