Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What Are Your Early Oscar Predictions?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What Are Your Early Oscar Predictions?

Old 01-26-04, 05:19 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is not only eligible for Best Score, but is the frontrunner to win.
Old 01-26-04, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
do the awards get announced tomorrow, and at what time et.
Old 01-26-04, 07:33 PM

10 of the 23 Oscar categories will be announced live tomorrow morning at 5:30 AM Pacific Time/8:30 AM Eastern Time. You can watch it live on just about any of the morning news shows. I usually watch the announcements on NBC's Today Show.
Old 01-26-04, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As stated above, ROTK is very much eligible in the Original Score category. I think Score will go with sweep....
Old 01-26-04, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
why not all of them, sure the average person probably doesn't give a rats ass about them, but some do, will E! show all of them?
Old 01-26-04, 07:58 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
why not all of them, sure the average person probably doesn't give a rats ass about them, but some do, will E! show all of them?
I don't get E!, so I'm not sure. I would just go to the Oscar website (Oscar.com) about 9:00 AM EST or so. They will have the complete list posted.

These should be the categories that are announced live (at least these were the ones last year):

PICTURE
ACTOR
ACTRESS
SUPP. ACTOR
SUPP. ACTRESS
DIRECTOR
SCREENPLAY --- ORIGINAL
SCREENPLAY --- ADAPTATION
FOREIGN-LANGUAGE FILM
ANIMATED FEATURE

Last edited by Tarnower; 01-26-04 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-26-04, 08:28 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
They tend not to show the announcement of anything but the major awards (acting, directing, writing, and best pictures in a few categories) and save the more technical awards to their print press releases.

You'll be able to find the complete list of the award nominations that will be given out on Oscar Night on Oscar.com or any of another billion web sites.

And don't forget, there are a WHOLE LOT of other Academy Awards for technical achievements that are given out a few weeks before the Oscars as we know them.
Old 01-26-04, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by Grimfarrow
No fantasy/sci-fi film was listed as #1 film of the year by 91 critics, no fantasy film was listed in the Top Ten by 271 critics, and no fantasy has won the PGA and the Golden Globes.

Except for The Return of the King.
I can probably say that The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King will definitely get nominated (and win both Best Picture and Best Director) for the following reasons:

1. Few films have gotten such universal acclaim, and the movie has already won significant awards for excellence from the Producers Guild of America and the Golden Globe awards.

2. AMPAS membership want to "reward" Peter Jackson for having the vision and the willingness to do perhaps the most massive project in cinematic history--hence the Best Picture and Best Director nods.

3. Mystic River--while a very good film, is a bit of a "downer" subject matter and relatively few films with seriously "downer" subject matter ever win Best Picture. Mind you, I think Tim Robbins is almost a shoo-in for Best Supporting Actor, and Sean Penn is in a close race with Bill Murray for Best Actor.
Old 01-30-04, 01:00 PM

Picture...............ROTK
Director.............Peter Jackson
Actor.................Sean Penn
Actress..............Naomi Watts
Supp. Actor.......Tim Robbins
Supp. Actress...Renee Zellwenger

But I'd love to see Bill Murray win
Old 01-30-04, 01:06 PM
Cool New Member

Picture: Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Director: Peter Jackson-LOTR
Actor: Sean Penn for Mystic River, but don't count out Bill Murrey for Lost in Translation
Actress: Charlize Theron for Monster, but Keisha Castle-Hughes will give her some competition
Supporting Actor: Tim Robbins for Mystic River
Supporting Actress: Renee Zellweger for Cold Mountain
Original Screenplay: Lost in Translation, but In America might get it
Adapted Screenpaly: Mystic River, but Seabiscuit might pull through