Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Count of Monte Cristo starring Richard Chamberlain?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-22-03, 10:18 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is this version compared to the other Count of Monte Cristo adaptations? I've been waiting for it to come out on DVD, but is it's not good, I might as well get the 2002 release or the miniseries. Thanks!
Old 12-22-03, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Richard Chamberlain version is my favorite version of the Count of Monte Cristo. I have a ten year old VHS copy of the film. But, I do remember watching the original braodcast of the film and it was longer then the VHS tape. I have never seen the longer version since it's first broadcast. I hope if the film ever makes it to DVD, it will be the longer restored version.

The French miniseries The Count of Monte Cristo starring Gérard Depardieu is also excellent. It is more faithful to the book, then any of the other versions. It's less action packed and swashbuckling then the other versions. But, alot more detailed. Gérard Depardieu is excellent as the count. Except for at the beginning. It's was a little hard to believe he was a prisoner for years given the size of Gérard's waistline. Still, Highly Recommended.
Old 12-23-03, 08:47 AM

Agreed... I personally feel the Richard Chamberlain version is the best... I can't wait for it to come out on DVD.

I thought the French mini-series with Depardieu was excellent as well... I'm not one to sit through / watch a mini-series over a short period of time but I found myself truly looking forward to the next episode and watched the entire thing within a week's time (a feat for me).

In fact, as much as I really did enjoy the most recent version; I would have to put it in 3rd place versus these two.