DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   gattaca underrated? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/337141-gattaca-underrated.html)

j1nman 12-22-03 05:44 PM

gattaca underrated?

would you consider this movie underrated? This movie doesn't get much attention anymore and minority report gets a ton of hype from a lot of people. I actually think gattaca is better than minority report because it leaves a lot of things unanswered which makes you think.

DeputyDave 12-22-03 05:54 PM

No. In fact, although I am sure they exist, I have yet to meet someone who did not love this movie.

(Key word: YET. I'm sure I'll hear about it now :))

LBPound 12-22-03 06:08 PM

Well most who have seen Gattaca like it, but not enough people have seen it, in my opinion. It's a great movie.

Lara Means 12-22-03 06:15 PM

I'll take 'Belongs in Movie Talk' for $100, Alex

FiveO 12-22-03 06:31 PM

Gattaca was very underrated.

Wonderful performances and a storyline that is not as far fetched as some would like to believe...at least on the cellular level discrimination part.

g 12-22-03 06:52 PM

when I saw it I was underwhelmed. I thought it looked beautiful though

Rivero 12-22-03 08:37 PM

Terrific movie with great cinematography and an excellent ending.

mike45 12-22-03 08:58 PM

Extremely underrated.

One of the best Science Fiction Films ever.

Very relevant to our times.

lostatmidnight 12-22-03 09:09 PM

underrated as well...I thought Niccol's second film 'simone' was too.

joeydaninja 12-22-03 09:54 PM

beautifully shot and overrated in my opinion.

yes, the ending was magnificent and jude law's acting was oscar worthy but ultimately a lot of times it was boring.

i didn't like minority report much too.

i wonder how paycheck will be.

RichC2 12-22-03 10:06 PM

Gattaca was good, Minority Report was better.

That said they're actually quite different despite shared themes.

neiname 12-22-03 10:12 PM

Fantastic movie

devilshalo 12-22-03 10:14 PM

I equate Gattica to the Shawshank Redemption.
Very good in all aspects (solid acting, strong story, great directing, etc) and has high repeat viewing value to me.

eedoon 12-22-03 10:36 PM

Great movie indeed.

necros 12-22-03 10:51 PM

I hated it. no offense :)

The premise and overall storyline was good, but the movie was just sooooo sloooooow and boring.

SilverScreen 12-22-03 11:15 PM

Awesome movie.

Other than being about the future of our society in general (which is a genre within itself) I really wouldn't compare this to minority report (which I wasn't impressed with) personally. I think they are two completely different types of movies.

Underrated? Not Really

Sleeper? Definitely

FuzzyBallz 12-22-03 11:29 PM

So Futurama's career chip idea was basically stolen from Gattaca...

I love this film. Wish they have a 2 disc version w/ 2:40:1 ratio.

The premise and overall storyline was good, but the movie was just sooooo sloooooow and boring.
No offense, but if you have ADD, there are a ton of "action packed" films out there. Ooooh, yeah, non-stop.

big whoppa 12-22-03 11:42 PM

I thought this movie would be cool based on the look of the film. Rented it and fell asleep. Bored to tears. One of the few movies I couldn't finish.

pro-bassoonist 12-23-03 12:09 AM

Originally posted by DeputyDave
No. In fact, although I am sure they exist, I have yet to meet someone who did not love this movie.

(Key word: YET. I'm sure I'll hear about it now :))

....ME........did not like it!!

edit.-..........ghhhhhh....I thought we were discussing Gothika......:D

ArchibaldTuttle 12-23-03 01:54 AM

I thought gattaca was pretty good, and I haven't really read anything really bad about it, so I would not consider it over or under rated, maybe adequately rated, as for minority report, I didn't like it, so I would consider it overrated

caiman 12-23-03 02:36 AM

Yes, Gattaca is underrated. Great movie that nobody seems to have seen.

G. Noel Gross 12-23-03 08:39 AM

I too sat transfixed in the theater.

We could blame flicks as diverse as Boogie Nights, Devil's Advocate, I Know What You Did Last Summer and Starship Troopers for audiences' lack of stomach for the DNA drama. But my theory is that Jennifer Love Hewitt's breasts were just too, too formidable.

DVDho78DTS 12-23-03 08:57 AM

I don't know anyone in person that has seen it. I give it a :up:

Daytripper 12-23-03 09:32 AM

A great film indeed. I was lucky enough to see it in the theatre. And like the person above, was glued to the screen the whole time.

Does anyone know how much better the Superbit DVD is compared to the original? I'm on the fence picking it up. Because the transfer on the original is pretty damn good.

Khalid 12-23-03 10:20 AM

Gattaca is a great movie. I think Wired magazine named it the best sci-fi movie ever. Not that lists mean anything but I was totally drawn into the film and really enjoyed the sutble details about the characters and the parallels drawn between them.

If you haven't seen it, give it a shot.