Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

You know what's really ridiculous about all the LOTR movies?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

You know what's really ridiculous about all the LOTR movies?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-04, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally posted by RocShemp
In FOTR the Fellowship is attacked by wargs and Gandalf uses his power to set some kndling ablaze so as to rain fire down on the wargs. There are other examples of Gandlaf doing this throughout LOTR but he doesn't do it often. I was somewhat disappointed that the whole fire against the wargs thing never happened in the first film but I guess Peter Jackson felt the wargs would be more effectively used in the second film and Gandal was MIA during that scene (he was looking for Eomer in that part of the movie) so no fire.
Wait... are you sure that didn't actually happen in The Hobbit? When they were stuck in the trees and the eagles came down and saved them?
Old 01-03-04, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Originally posted by Astro
FOTR: Shaped the rushing water that swept away Nazgul outside Rivendell into horses (in the books at least)
Elrond did that, not Gandalf. Elrond used the aid of his ring to shape the rushing water against the Nazghul.
Old 01-03-04, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Tom Banjo
Wait... are you sure that didn't actually happen in The Hobbit? When they were stuck in the trees and the eagles came down and saved them?
Hmm. Lemme check.
Old 01-03-04, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Not what I was looking for but so far I found this in The Ring Goes South section of FOTR:

'What say you to fire?' asked Boromir suddenly. 'The choice seems near now between fire and death, Gandalf. Doubtless we shall be hidden from all unfriendly eyes when the snow has covered us, but that will not help us.'
'You may make a fire, if you can,' answered Gandalf. 'If there are any watchers that can endure this storm, then they can see us, fire or no.'
But though they had brought wood and kindlings by the advice of Boromir, it passed the skill of Elf or even Dwarf to strike a flame that would hold amid the swirling wind or catch in the wet fuel. At last reluctantly Gandalf himself took a hand. Picking up a faggot he held it aloft for a moment, and then with a word of command, naur an edraith ammen! he thrust the end of his staff into the midst of it. At once a great spout of green and blue flame sprang out, and wood flared and sputtered.
'If there are any to see, then I at least am revealed to them,' he said. 'I have written Gandalf is here in signs that all can read from Rivendell to the mouths of Aduin.'

Last edited by RocShemp; 01-03-04 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-03-04, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Found what I was looking for. The following is from the A Journey in the Dark section of FOTR:

the night was old, and westward the waning moon was setting, gleaming fitfully through the breaking clouds. Suddenly Frodo started from sleep. Without warning a storm of howls broke out fierce and wild all about the camp. A great host of Wargs had gathered silently and was now attacking them from every side at once.
'Fling fuel on the fire!' cried Gandalf to the hobbits. 'Draw your blades, and stand back to back!'
In the leaping light, as the fresh wood blazed up, Frodo saw many grey shapes spring over the ring of stones. More and more followed. Through the throat of one huge leader Aragorn passed his sword with a thrust; with a great sweep Boromir hewed the head off another. Beside them Gimli stood his stout legs apart, wielding his dwarf-axe. The bow of Legolas was singing.
In the wavering firelight Gandalf seemed to suddenly grow: he rose up, a great menacing shape like a monument of some ancient king of stone set upon a hill. Stooping like a cloud, he lifted a bruning branch and strode to meet the wolves. They gave back before him. High in the air he the tossed the blazing brand. It flared with a sudden white radiance like lightning; and his voice rolled like thunder.
'Naur an edraith ammen! Naur dan i ngaurhoth!' he cried.
There was a roar and a crackle, and the tree above him burst into a leaf and a bloom of blinding flame. The fire leapt from tree-top to tree-top. The whole hill was crowned with dazzling light. The swords and knives of the defenders shone and flickered. The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew, and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain. All the others fled.
Slowly the fire died till nothing was left but falling ash and sparks; a bitter smoke curled above the bruned tree-stumps, and blew darkly from the hill, as the first light of dawn came dimly in the sky. Their enemies were routed and did not return.
'What did I tell you, Mr. Pippin?' said Sam, sheathing his sword. 'Wolves won't get him. That was an eye-opener, and no mistake! Nearly singed the hair off my head!'
Old 01-03-04, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally posted by RocShemp
Found what I was looking for. The following is from the A Journey in the Dark section of FOTR:
Interesting. It's been 3 years or so since I last read the series, and that scene isn't ringing any bells for me at all.
Old 01-05-04, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Tom Banjo
Interesting. It's been 3 years or so since I last read the series, and that scene isn't ringing any bells for me at all.
That scene stuck with me because I hadn't read the book when I went to see FOTR (everyone, including fans of the book, told me it was really boring to read) but once I saw the movie I purchased The Hobbit and a collected edition of The Lord of the Rings and read both in a row in a course of a few months. I was hooked since then but was always troubled by the fact that the scene with the wargs never appeared in the first movie. Nor did I ever see Gandalf create fire at all in the film.
Old 01-05-04, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Moogz
wmlowery or another Tolkien scholar, please correct me if I'm wrong:

But since everyone's using the example of Gandalf slinging fire as being necessary for him to be called a wizard, didn't he shoot fireballs at the wargs as they chased Bilbo and the dwarves into the woods in the Hobbit? It's been FOREVER since I read the book, so I'm not sure, but thought it'd be interesting to bring it up.
The way I remember it was Gandalf lighting pine cones and tossing them down onto the wargs.
Old 01-05-04, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by DeputyDave
The way I remember it was Gandalf lighting pine cones and tossing them down onto the wargs.
That's the way I remember it, too.
Old 01-05-04, 02:33 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Another magic moment that I don't think anyone has mentioned:

When the Rohirrim charge down to save the people at Helm's Deep, a bright white light hits the orcs just before Gandalf and the other riders get to them, causing the orcs to fall back in pain and surprise. I think this was more than just the sun shining in their eyes, and considering the timing, I'd say Gandalf had something to do with it.
Old 01-06-04, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also I believe Gandy may have had something to do with the stairs in Moria falling 'just right'--notice that his staff is shining right before Frodo and Aragorn rejoin the rest of the Fellowship on the now infamous cracked staircase.
Old 01-08-04, 05:23 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by DeputyDave
Having just read this section of The Hobbit, yes, he lights pine cones. But the fire is magical, because it says (I'm paraphrasing): "One spark could start a fire unless the warg rolled over very quickly." If Wargs lit up that easily, they'd be on fire anytime someone hit two flints together.
Old 01-10-04, 08:05 PM

Gandalf strikes the bridge of Khazaddum with his staff when the Balrog steps on it, and that portion of the bridge disintegrates, resulting in the Balrog falling into the chasm. That is magic.

PS: The movie makes it appear as if the weight of the Balrog causes the bridge to break, but the book clearly says that as Gandalf strikes the bridge, it breaks.
Old 01-10-04, 08:09 PM

BTW, Gandalf and the other wizards are not Maiar as some posters have noted. They belong to a different class called the Istari. Sauron was one of the Maiar, who were sent to help the Valar prepare middle earth for the coming of the elves and Men. Morgoth originally was one of the Valar, and he corrupted many of the Maiar, including Sauron, to work for him. Of all his lieutenants Sauron was the most well known.
Old 01-10-04, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Hobgoblin
BTW, Gandalf and the other wizards are not Maiar as some posters have noted. They belong to a different class called the Istari. Sauron was one of the Maiar, who were sent to help the Valar prepare middle earth for the coming of the elves and Men. Morgoth originally was one of the Valar, and he corrupted many of the Maiar, including Sauron, to work for him. Of all his lieutenants Sauron was the most well known.
Actually, Gandalf may have been one of the Maia because in his youth he was named "Olorin" who certainly is a Maiar. Indeed, it is not all that clear in the context of any of the books, but it is generally believed that the Istari could be Maiar. The Silmarallion sheds some light on this:

"Olorin: A Maia, one of the Istari......"
Old 01-11-04, 11:54 PM

Another time in the book that Gandalf uses magic, perhaps the first time (because he does not set off fireworks for the hobbit childrens' delight) is causing a flash of light when Bilbo slips the ring on his finger. This makes Bilbo's disappearance appear "magical" and not raise undue questions.
Old 01-12-04, 10:46 AM

At the end of ROTK, when the ground is collapsing around the Black Gates, swallowing orcs, I really hate the fact that the collapsing "just happens" to stop right in front of the good guys. To make myself feel better, I like to think that Gandalf does an off-camera magic spell to save them.
Can that count??

Originally posted by jekbrown
Im still trying to figure out the end of RotK. Seems to me that we see sam/frodo at the BASE of mt. doom about the same time their friends are surrounded outside the black gate. How exactly does sam carry frodo up that 10,000 ft mountain (looks like its atleast that big...) in what seems like just a few minutes.
On a similar note, it's stated twice that it's a three days ride from Rohan to Minas Tirith. And yet Faramir tells Gandalf he saw Frodo "not two days ago" AFTER Gandalf has ridden to Isengard, hung out in Edoras for a while and taken that ride with Pippin.

Yeah, okay, they were riding Shadowfax, but later when the army of Rohan is making that same ride, I don't believe for a second that what we see happening in Minas Tirith and with Frodo takes three days.

This is one of my few complaints about the trilogy; Jackson's editing choices often screw up the timeline. (I have alot more examples from Fellowship.) He probably doesn't think audiences will notice, but I always do!
Old 01-13-04, 11:13 AM
Banned

When the cold of winter comes
Starless night will cover day
In the veiling of the sun
We will walk in bitter rain

Those lyrics are whats really ridiculous about the movies.
Old 01-13-04, 12:26 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always thought it would be more meaningful if they just reported the number of tickets sold, rather than the box office gross.

Then there would be no need for inflation adjustments in comparing a movies success, you could simply see which movie had the largest attendance over it's theatrical run(s).
Old 01-13-04, 12:59 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
That's not fair either, because there are more people now.
Old 01-16-04, 02:46 AM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

^^
but there are also more choices at every theater.
Old 01-16-04, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Astro
A couple other instances of Gandalf using magic off the top of my head include:

FOTR: Shaped the rushing water that swept away Nazgul outside Rivendell into horses (in the books at least)

TT: When Aaragorn, Gimili, and Legolas first encounter Gandalf, bathed in light, he effortlessly deflects arrows and axes which dissappear into white light and Aaragorn's sword drops from his hand as if on fire.

TT: Gandalf breaks the spell on Theoden.

TT: He freezes Gimli in his spot when Gimli takes a step towards Wormtongue when Theoden is under the spell. (just read that today)
Old 01-18-04, 04:35 AM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by nodeerforamonth
TT: He freezes Gimli in his spot when Gimli takes a step towards Wormtongue when Theoden is under the spell. (just read that today)
please explain this in further detail. i dont recall this at all. Gimli steps on wormtongue to prevent him from leaving, but what does this have to do with magic?
Old 01-18-04, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by nodeerforamonth
Think you need to read that again.

"Gimli strode a pace forward, but felt suddenly the hand of Gandalf clutch him by the shoulder, and he halted, standing stiff as stone."

Unless you take the "stiff as stone" description literally, it doesn't sound very magical to me.
Old 01-19-04, 12:40 AM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wizards were prohibited from matching Sauron, power for power. they could only assist Elves and Men in battling him. they were also prohibited from dominating the free people, hence, any awesome display of power might make people afraid and possibly worship them.