Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-04, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Saw this last night.

Wonderful but sometimes odd film.

Some of the shots and the overall cinematography were wonderful.

The chemistry between Carrey and Winslet was very good. They made a great on screen couple.

I won't be seeing this again in the theatre....but I will be buying it on DVD.

3.5/4
Old 03-21-04, 02:02 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Laertes
Dude, I hate to tell you this, but this script was written a *long* time ago. Harold Pinter's "Betrayal" is a play about an affair that starts at the end, and the last scene is their getting together. Although it doesn't move "back and forth" like your screenplay, it does go out of sequence with the end of the affair the first event in the play and their getting together the last scene in the play.

Hence, if you don't think about it, it seems really sweet, because it *ends* with them together, in terms of the sequence we see the scenes, but it is really sad, because they don't end up together if you *do* think about it.

For this reason, that episode of Seinfeld and "Memento," when I heard about how they played with the sequence of events, I just thought, "Already been done." But whatever.

Here's a link to a review of a relatively recent production.
Thanks for pointing this out. I love Pinter, but never read Betrayal.

*Sigh* Guess it's time to pack that script in for good, then.
Old 03-21-04, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
What's wrong with doing things that have already been done? No better way to reinvent something then by borrowing something from another source.
Old 03-21-04, 02:22 PM
Banned by request

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
What's wrong with doing things that have already been done? No better way to reinvent something then by borrowing something from another source.
Except, in this case, I wasn't actually borrowing, because I started the script before Sunshine was even in pre-production, or before I ever read Betrayal. I guess I should just finish the script and hold on to it.
Old 03-21-04, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
You know, there is only so many different "NEW" idea's out there before you get to the point where something can be somehow connected to something else. I say go for it and finish it.
Old 03-21-04, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is absolutely idiotic to dismiss something because "dude, it's been done".

Most of a work's artistry is in its execution, not its framework. If you have a well-written script that deals with a concept in a fresh and creative manner, who the hell cares if Pinter or Kauffman or whoever did something similar? I guess Margaret Mitchell should never have written Gone With The Wind because well, dude, plenty of people had already done Civil War epics.
Old 03-21-04, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think it has been said a bazillion times, but again really, really, great film. Oscar nod for Screenplay for sure.

My Grade: B+
Old 03-21-04, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Just saw it and it is brilliant, my #1 movie of the year so far. Carrey and Winslet are flawless and the supporting cast is also perfect. One of the best screenplays in a long time. (I liked Being John Malkovich and did not like Adaptation).

****/ ****.
Old 03-21-04, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great movie. One of the most interesting love stories I have seen in a very long time, maybe ever. I would highly recommend it.

I don't know how much of my blurb below is spoiler so I'll err on the side of caution and mark it all spoiler.

Spoiler:
I think this movie is based on Kauffman's idea of a fantasy device that can fix all relationships -- even impossible relationships. Especially impossible relationships.

Most relationships are probably doomed to fail. It's very difficult for two people to commit to the years of work it takes to maintain a relationship -- even when the couple is well matched. (And let's face it, most couples are not well matched.) When a relationship dies, people are often left with bitter feelings towards each other. Maybe even contempt. This mutual contempt clouds everything and love is often replaced with hate. And this is where Kauffman's brilliant fantasy comes in. What if we were able to wipe the slate clean and have no memory of a past relationship? And what if we were to then meet again and start anew? And what if we were to discover all this and come upon documentation telling us in no uncertain terms what our 'new' mate really thinks of us? Now imagine building this new relationship knowing full well where your partner found you lacking but with none of the rancor and contempt that goes with a failed relationship. Nice fantasy.

I love how the movie ends. They know their relationship is probably doomed but they're willing to risk it anyway. (Winslet's face and emotions in the final scene conveys this perfectly -- what a superb actress.) They know that, on some level, they need to be together.

Along with their memories, the mind alteration device has also managed to erase their contempt for one another allowing them to rediscover their love. For a while anyway...

I also wholeheartedly agree with the poster above who said that this movie is everything that 'Lost In Translation' aspired to be but failed. (IMO, of course.)

Last edited by Flave; 03-21-04 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-21-04, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
I enjoyed this film a lot. It's probably the best Charlie Kaufman script yet.
Spoiler:

Originally posted by Flave
Now imagine building this new relationship knowing full well where your partner found you lacking but with none of the rancor and contempt that goes with a failed relationship. Nice fantasy.
A friend who I saw the movie with had a similar idea. His ideal situation however would be a device that only eliminates the bad memories, but then have those memories reiterated to the parties so that they could learn from the bad parts without having all the animosity that the actual memories would bring.

I think, however, that the point Kaufman was trying to make is that we need the bad as much as we need the good. Think of the woman who wanted a memory erased for the 3rd time in a month. A good joke, but it illustrates that bad is going to happen, and that how we deal with it helps shape us as people.

I love how the movie ends. They know their relationship is probably doomed but they're willing to risk it anyway. (Winslet's face and emotions in the final scene conveys this perfectly -- what a superb actress.) They know that, on some level, they need to be together.
I see it more as a "live for the moment" type situation. Even knowing in advance that it'd probably end badly, they'd rather be together and experience all the good moments than not be together at all.
Along with their memories, the mind alteration device has also managed to erase their contempt for one another allowing them to rediscover their love. For a while anyway....
The original screenplay ends on a much more downbeat note: 50 years into the future Clementine enters Lacuna to have Joel erased for the 15th time (although she's unaware of the previous 14 erasures). It hits home the idea that those who do not know their history are doomed to repeat it, which is a big theme of the original screenplay. I like the movie's ending better, that being happy "for a while anyway" is still better than not experiencing anything at all.
Old 03-21-04, 05:40 PM
Banned by request

Originally posted by Jay G.
Spoiler:
The original screenplay ends on a much more downbeat note: 50 years into the future Clementine enters Lacuna to have Joel erased for the 15th time (although she's unaware of the previous 14 erasures). It hits home the idea that those who do not know their history are doomed to repeat it, which is a big theme of the original screenplay. I like the movie's ending better, that being happy "for a while anyway" is still better than not experiencing anything at all.
Wow, I much prefer that ending. I think it would drive the point home even harder, while making even more commentary. Shame they didn't use it.
Old 03-21-04, 08:39 PM

I am in love with this movie. I really felt for all the characters and the ending just blew me away.

One question though, why is it rated R?

Dont remember any F bombs, no guns, no deaths...
Old 03-21-04, 09:10 PM

There were a couple of "****"s, and as we all know, "****" is the worst word that you can say.

Brilliant, beautiful movie. It reminded me of a relationship I had once. I say this because I think that statement could be true for just about everyone in the audience - the film is terrifically insightful, almost painful for anyone who has ever suffered heartbreak.
Old 03-21-04, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Shame this great movie didn't even make it to the top five this week. I hope this doesn't mean it will get written off as a failure and disqualify it from decent award consideration.
Old 03-21-04, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Shame this great movie didn't even make it to the top five this week. I hope this doesn't mean it will get written off as a failure and disqualify it from decent award consideration.
Box Office doesn't enter consideration for critical awards. That it's got a 94% positive rating at rottentomatoes is a better indicator that it will at least make a few top ten lists at the end of the year:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/Eter...sMind-1130889/
Old 03-21-04, 11:01 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
This film hasn't really gotten that wide of a release. I have to travel about 20 miles to see it (passing by about a dozen theatres on the way).
Old 03-21-04, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just saw this movie, thought it was great.

My question though is about a trailer before the movie, for "Garden State". Does anybody know what song was used during that preview? I can't find the trailer online anywhere.
Old 03-22-04, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Just saw the movie this evening.

All I can say is "it was nice".

Thumbs up to no CG! It's nice to see that people are still willing to use 'trick photography'. Whew, I haven't used that term in a long time. So much of that stuff could have been lazily put together in post-production with CG. But it's nice to know that people are still being innovative WITHOUT the use of CG.

And the originality of the concept itself kept me interested the whole time.
Old 03-22-04, 02:47 AM
Banned by request

Originally posted by Chim
Dont remember any F bombs
"Last night was the best ****ing night I've ever had in my ****ing life."

"And you're thinking to yourself 'Did she **** someone tonight?'" "No, you see Clem, I just assumed you ****ed someone tonight. That's how you get people to like you, isn't it?"

Those are the first two that come immediately to mind.

Also, maybe the drug references? I don't know what else would garner an R.

Just saw this again, it's even better on the repeat viewings. A lot of little looks and lines have even more emotional weight attached when you know what's coming. Caught the Rain Dogs cameo this time.

The film has such a wonderful, poignant beauty to it. I can't wait to see it again.

Last edited by Supermallet; 03-22-04 at 02:49 AM.
Old 03-22-04, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Suprmallet

"And you're thinking to yourself 'Did she **** someone tonight?'" "No, you see Clem, I just assumed you ****ed someone tonight. That's how you get people to like you, isn't it?"
That's probably the one that sealed the "R" rating, since it involves using f*** in a sexual context, rather than just as an expression. Also you are generally allowed about 3 or 4 f***'s while still being PG-13, and I think there were more than that here anyways.
Old 03-22-04, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wanted to comment on the movie, but seems like all my thoughts have been neatly summarized in previous posts... bravo.

Mostly I think its about having to take the bad with the good, because all of that is what shapes and defines our lives. Often I think I would change this or that if I had the chance, but then I'm not sure if I really would. It was just about so much more than relationships though.

Also I thought it was very well-shot. The beach at Montauk is really one of those places that conveys the bleak feelings (bad memories) that were contrasted with the good memories Joel had.

Anyways, great movie, definitely one of the best I've seen in a while.
Old 03-22-04, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oddly enough this film was playing in one of the small screens of my local theater while The Passion was still playing in 2 of the stadium-seating screens. I thought that was odd.
Old 03-22-04, 10:04 AM

I really liked it. A lot.

Jim Carrey was great and Kate Winslet really won me over here. I've never been much of a fan.

Dear Hollywood: Give Mark Ruffalo more parts!
Old 03-22-04, 11:31 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Shame this great movie didn't even make it to the top five this week.

You can take comfort in the fact that its # 2 on the per-screen average.

And given its low budget it will not be considered a box-office failure.
Old 03-22-04, 11:40 AM

You can take comfort in the fact that its # 2 on the per-screen average.

And given its low budget it will not be considered a box-office failure.
Also, this is going to have great word of mouth.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.