Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Old 03-13-04, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Master, it's Mr. Blue Sky by the greatest band ever... ELO (Electric Light Orchestra).
Old 03-14-04, 12:59 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
Master, it's Mr. Blue Sky by the greatest band ever... ELO (Electric Light Orchestra).
Two things we agree on
Old 03-15-04, 09:57 PM
Registered

Charlie Kaufman & Michel Gondry Interview - Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind

It's an unfortunate fact that most everyone, at some point, will have a bad relationship. The film Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind poses the question: What if you could have the memory of this bad relationship erased? Would you do it? If so what kind of impact would erasing memories have on you? We had the opportunity to sit down and talk with Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind Screenwriter Charlie Kaufman and Director Michel Gondry about the film. Their tag-team approach to the interview gave some great insight on how this unique pair works together and how they created such a complex, fascinating and entertaining film. Read our complete interview with Charlie Kaufman & Michel Gondry or Listen to the complete audio version.

ENJOY!
Old 03-17-04, 07:09 AM

Just did a screening of this, it seemed kinda long but good
Spoiler:
I'm not sure where the movie started?

highlight KIRSTEN DUNST bouncing on the bed wearing a white wife beater shirt with no bra.
Old 03-17-04, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Catch 21
highlight KIRSTEN DUNST bouncing on the bed wearing a white wife beater shirt with no bra.
...and in her undies
Old 03-18-04, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind

After letting it sink in I must say this is my favorite Charlie Kuafman written film.

Thanks Catch for the invite. Wow, The way the film is edited and paced it makes you feel as if your own very memories are being wiped out slowly only to come to a clear ending which made this one hell of a great "love story" film.

I'm not a fan of Jim Carrey, and his works seem to annoy me a great deal but this surprised me. His acting was great (far beyond his attempt at drama in Man on the moon) and the lay out was simply great.

The story was also something that just struck out at me. I wont give anything away in spoilers and will discuss more when it opens friday, but wow. I simply loved this film.
Old 03-18-04, 03:53 AM

I'm so jealous you got to watch it early Jack, sigh, won't be able to catch it til at least sunday.
Old 03-18-04, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Just keep your head up for Catch21's post. I was surprised no one jumped on it. It was at the block. Fairly close to you.

The longer I'm away from the film, the more I want to see it. This will be a busy weekend for me. watching dotd yet another time and rewatching Eternal sunshine again. I can't stop thinking about how good it was.
Old 03-18-04, 10:57 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=336753
Old 03-18-04, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Catch 21
Just did a screening of this, it seemed kinda long but good
Spoiler:
I'm not sure where the movie started?

Spoiler:

The movie starts where it ends.

Well mainly it starts Right when the operation is over. The tip off that got me confused as all hell during it was how they were erasing the way they met. It wasnt how they met in the beginning of the film as joel was skipping work. So it was a sort of unlooped story.

It starts when the operation is over and he meets Clemintine on the beach the day of. They don't know they already knew each other and then they hook up. Once you see Elijah wood's Patrick character bug Joel then that is when it jumps to the beginning where Joel is crying in the car and the relationship is over. The history of there relationship is carried forth and shown to you through the memories backwards.

Perhaps I loved the film because I recently had a fairly long relationship end and the idea of erasing it seems tempting at first but as the moral of the story goes.. You just have to enjoy those times for what they were. Joel and Clemintine lost all the good and bad times together because of the mind erase. The ending was simply touching. they both realize that it most likely end bad again, but hey, you gotta enjoy life. That is exactly what they are doing. I loved the line when Joel realizes that they are down to his last memory of her on the beach and she ask what they are going to do since the eraser guys were coming and he responds with simply "Enjoy it". As a previous poster stated.. it floored me.

I loved it. Can't wait to see it again.
Old 03-18-04, 09:30 PM

okok, this will be the last one but wanted to answer Jack real quick.

Heh, funny you mention that jack, I was watching it, but then I had a paper due and I needed to do research and the one time I decide to stay away from the computer I missed my chance. That's twice already this semester, stupid papers! Bleh
Old 03-19-04, 05:34 AM
Banned by request

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Saw it tonight. Blew me away. It met all my expectations, which were understandably quite high. I will be seeing it again as soon as possible. I will definitely see it at least two more times in the theaters, if not more.

Jim Carrey was so good, and I've never seen Kate Winslet look so attractive. Usually I find she's okay looking, but in this she was a fox.

Elijah Wood was quite a standout.

Right after seeing this movie I saw the remake of Dawn of the Dead, and I came out of Dawn of the Dead thinking about Eternal Sunshine. I'll be thinking about this for days.

Last edited by Supermallet; 03-19-04 at 05:38 AM.
Old 03-19-04, 08:51 AM

We saw this last night! Wow! What a movie. It was just the most wonderful movie I've seen in a long time.
Romantic, sad, real, and funny all in one. I absolutely loved it. We couldn't stop talking about it the whole way home (an hour) and were still talking about it this morning.
I'm on such a high from this movie! It was fabulous. Their interactions and conversations were so real and their love felt completely real. Kate Winslet was unbelievable and Jim Carrey was amazing. This is one of my favorite movies ever. I am dying to see it again.
Old 03-19-04, 03:38 PM

check out the crazy music video
http://www.eternalsunshine.com/index.html?musicvideo=1
Old 03-19-04, 03:44 PM
Suspended

Loved this movie, just... fantastic!
Old 03-19-04, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've been waiting for this for months, glad it's finally out. I'm glad a lot of you liked it - I will try to go see it sunday.
Old 03-19-04, 07:38 PM

I walked into this movie already loving it and walked out loving it even more....

I love Gondry, Kaufman so I was not surprised by how much this worked with this wonderful cast and offbeat story. Beautiful, heartbreaking, witty, and totally original it is more than I even expected. Go see it.

Now it is time to purchase the Dunst poster.
Old 03-19-04, 07:47 PM

Just got home from seeing this movie and WOW! It was an amazing film. Fantastic acting. Easily my favorite film of the year so far. Can't wait to either see it again or buy the DVD. '

MG26
Old 03-19-04, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This was my favorite Kaufman film, by far.

Last edited by Corvin; 03-19-04 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-19-04, 10:12 PM

Here is something I forgot to ask.. Did anyone else notice when they were showing Joel's items if they held up the CD of Rain Dogs by Tom Waits.

I am a huge Waits fan, thought I saw this.. don't think this is a spoiler of any kind so hopefully that is not what this is.
Old 03-19-04, 10:38 PM

Originally posted by cfloyd3
Here is something I forgot to ask.. Did anyone else notice when they were showing Joel's items if they held up the CD of Rain Dogs by Tom Waits.

I am a huge Waits fan, thought I saw this.. don't think this is a spoiler of any kind so hopefully that is not what this is.
I just got back from this movie.... it was incredibly amazing, better than I could have imagined. I actually read the script a year or so ago, and imo the movie blew that version of the script away and the things they changed worked out so much for the better. Visually, the movie was stunning.

In response to your question, I didn't notice the CD, don't know much about Tom Waits, but if I recall correctly, in the version of the script I read there was a conversation between Clem and Joel about Rain Dogs by Tom Waits, so you are probably right that the cd was in the movie... i think it's cool they threw that in.
Old 03-19-04, 11:05 PM

not familar with Tom Waits' work, but *definitely* saw a Tom Waits CD in the collection of items.
Old 03-20-04, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 143 Posts
Saw it. As of right now, best movie of the year, period. I will talk more later as I have to get to bed right now, but this was definitely Kaufman in top form, and Gondry for that matter, but I haven't seen Human Nature, maybe that should be on my rent list.

One little thing I was wondering if other people noticed:
Spoiler:
When Joel is having the flashback to the doctor's office and meets Patrick, did anyone notice that Elijah Wood's face(when they distorted it) and body posture at the time bared a striking resemblance to Gollum? It was fast and hard to notice, and I doubt it was intentional, but it made it all the more interesting and was appropriate IMO.
Old 03-20-04, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Brilliant.

Just... brilliant.

K
Old 03-20-04, 01:52 AM
Banned by request

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by cfloyd3

I didn't notice this at all, but I will definitely look for it next time I see it. I love Tom Waits.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.