Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Old 07-02-05, 10:07 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I watched it last night too. I missed the first 10 minutes but I don't think that really mattered, did it?

I spent the rest of the 2 hours completely confused and my brain still hurts, it hasn't had to work that hard since I watched Donnie Darko the first time. But, when all was said and done I did "get it" and thought it was ok, and the acting was great. I thought about buying it when it came out on DVD but now I'm glad I waited for cable, it was decent enough but not my cup of tea
Old 07-02-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=336753
Old 07-02-05, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You don't have to be a Charlie Kaufman fan to appreciate Eternal Sunshine. I didn't care much for Adaptation and I have yet to see Being John Malkovich, but I still thought Eternal Sunshine was one of the more interesting, intriguing, and entertaining films to come out last year.
Old 07-02-05, 12:01 PM
Li

I didn't like this movie either. I hated Lost in Translation, another movie with extremely high praise.
Old 07-02-05, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
You don't have to be a Charlie Kaufman fan to appreciate Eternal Sunshine. I didn't care much for Adaptation and I have yet to see Being John Malkovich, but I still thought Eternal Sunshine was one of the more interesting, intriguing, and entertaining films to come out last year.
Couldn't agree more. This is the first and only Kaufman movie I have seen and I would go even further and say that, to me, this is one of the best movies of the past five years.

But I also think it's the type of movie you either really like or really hate -- there's no middle ground. To those of us that like it, the story strikes a deep emotional chord. But I can see how this movie would be a big question mark to those who fail to make this emotional connection.
Old 07-02-05, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
I think I found your problem. Eternal sunshine is one of my favorite movies.
ESotSM is flat out my favorite film of all time.

I watched it last night too. I missed the first 10 minutes but I don't think that really mattered, did it?
The first part of the movie is vital to "get" everything in the film, start to finish. Not only that though but the first part of the movie, up until the credits actually start, is just amazing. I could watch just that segment over and over again and almost look at it as a short film in and of itself. When I don't have the time to watch the entire film, I put it in and just watch that first part. It never fails to affect me, never.
Old 07-02-05, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think Eternal Sunshine is "got" by a young generation (20-30 year olds) whereas older folk can't really relate. That's what I think.
Old 07-02-05, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I think Eternal Sunshine is "got" by a young generation (20-30 year olds) whereas older folk can't really relate. That's what I think.
You have your opinion. But I think you're wrong.
Old 07-02-05, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TomOpus
You have your opinion. But I think you're wrong.
Could you elaborate? Perhaps it is just the elder folks that I've talked with but I haven't heard too many positive reviews from the older generation. I may be wrong but I think it's definitely a movie made for a certain demographic.
Old 07-02-05, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Charlie Kaufman's movies are definitely an acquired taste. It takes a couple of viewings to really understand them, and then another on top of that to see if you actually like them. I thought Eternal Sunshine was the best movie of last year, and Adaptation is one of my favorites of all time. Different strokes I guess.
Very true. I know the guy above made the comment about Star Trek...it's true, this film does, at its core level, have a basic gimmick involved. BUT...it's what Kaufman and Gondry do with that. They build fully realized and fleshed out character, revolving around an absurd scenario to a poignant point. It's funny, dramatic, and an overall engrossing film.

But it is weird, off beat, and at many times downtrodden. I can see why some might not enjoy this. The characters are relatable, but on some surface levels they might be a little kooky for some. But one cannot deny some great character development, character nuance, and a good exploration of what very well could've been a one note concept.
Old 07-02-05, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Li
I didn't like this movie either. I hated Lost in Translation, another movie with extremely high praise.
I LOVED Lost in Translation...so for some reason I haven't seen Eternal Sunshine....am I really missing out?
Old 07-02-05, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
Great movie. I agree about not having to be a kaufman fan to get this. I never saw Adaptation, bits and pieces of BJM and I totally loved ESotSM. I also didnt think it was confusing at all. Actually the structure is pretty straight forward. The only real twist on your typical movie structure was that the beginning of the movie is actually the ending. Just think of it as a big circle.

But, different strokes for different folks. Personally I think it is one of the few original and fresh movies in that has been made in the past few years.
Old 07-02-05, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Could you elaborate? Perhaps it is just the elder folks that I've talked with but I haven't heard too many positive reviews from the older generation. I may be wrong but I think it's definitely a movie made for a certain demographic.
I'm over 30 and I know, at least, 3 other people over 30 that really like the film.

I don't think it's an "age thing" as more as having a divergent taste in movies... that's willing to accept and enjoy non-linear, off-the-beaten-path movies.

I just don't like it when people say "you belong to THIS demographic so you are not allowed to enjoy this movie".
Old 07-02-05, 04:36 PM

LiT was much ado about nothing, IMO, but I really liked ESotSM. I didn't catch it until it hit DVD, but once I saw it I immediately watched it again. And then again to hear the commentary.

I think you have to enjoy stories about having loved and lost to enjoy this movie, since that's essentially what it's all about. Groovy.
Old 07-02-05, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsGreekToMe
Ok, so Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is on HBO last night. I figure, high reviews from a lot of folks here and a 93% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, this should be entertaining.

Huh? WTF! That's almost two hours I'll never get back. I just don't get it. 93% rating? We're being punk'd.

Not one character to care about and a story that may have worked as a 5 minute sketch, but this just went on and on.

Granted I don't really get Charlie Kaufman's stuff. The phrase 'weird for weird's sake' comes to mind. I don't find much substance there.

But, different strokes I guess - There are people who love David Lynch's Eraserhead too (IMO one of the worst films ever made).
Just by looking at your username, well...I leave it at that.

So you didn't like it and that's ok but the film is fucking brilliant. Not sure what you're into but I have no idea how anyone could not relate to the characters in this film; even those who didn't like it.

This film is one of the most original and effective I've seen in a very long time.
Old 07-02-05, 06:38 PM
Banned

This is pretty much the worst movie of all time....
Old 07-02-05, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
pot meet kettle.
Old 07-02-05, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My favorite movie list goes like this, I believe, right now:

1) Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
2) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
3) LOTR:ROTK

You don't have to be a Kaufman fan. I personally wasn't that keen on Adaptation. I haven't seen Malkovich in years but at the time I was just OK on that as well.

Funny thing is, my wife got me to go see Eternal Sunshine, and damn, but if it wasn't the best movie I'd seen in years. She says I "stole" the movie from her because I bought it and got it on my DVD rack faster than she could, and because I liked it so much.

The movie, about erasing memories and how memories make you who you are, etc...very understandable. Sometimes I speculate that people who haven't had bad, turbulent, or very strong relationships don't 'get' why the movie is so good...?

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 07-02-05 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-02-05, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Based on...? My mom, approaching her 60's, really digs Charlie Kaufman movies. She also loves David Lynch and independent films, such as Wes Anderson and Todd Solondz. She also really liked Napolean Dynamite and even surprised me recently when she expressed that she like Harold and Kumar go to White Castle.

Good movies knows no age limits. It's all a matter of individual taste. I got into David Lynch movies even before I became a teenager (starting with an interest in Eraserhead) so to make broad generalizations like that is just so blind sighted.

ps...she also insists on widescreen movies and gets pissed with the studios release two different editions to appease the pan and scam crowd.

Last edited by calhoun07; 07-02-05 at 11:57 PM.
Old 07-02-05, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ItsGreekToMe

This is pretty much the worst movie of all time....
Then go watch a Michael Bay movie.
Old 07-03-05, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was an average movie in my opinion, I certainly didn't get all the hype either.
Old 07-03-05, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
I really liked Eternal Sunshine. I thought it was one of the best movies I had seen in a long time.

But then, I also liked Being John Malkovich and Adaptation. I never realized they were all by the same person, but then I never really paid attention either.
Old 07-03-05, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was amazed how great Eternal Sunshine turned out to be. You've got to be a moron to not "understand" this movie.

Originally Posted by necros
Actually, the first 10 minutes are important.
Old 07-03-05, 08:35 AM

I really like ESotSM and Adaptation but am not so keen on Lost in Translation.
Old 07-03-05, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Lara Means
I was amazed how great Eternal Sunshine turned out to be. You've got to be a moron to not "understand" this movie.

It's name calling really necessary for disliking a movie?

While I don't agree with the OP, he's entitled to his opinions.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.