Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Old 01-31-05, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Did you actually see the last few seconds of the movie? Notice that the editing has the scene jump cutting back to the start of that scene?

That little edit right there may be pointing to the ending being that history is repeating itself. They keep breaking up and getting the treatment only to eventually date each other.
Wasn't there an alternate ending showing Clementine at an old age waiting to get the treatment again?
Old 01-31-05, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Joe1086
Wasn't there an alternate ending showing Clementine at an old age waiting to get the treatment again?
It was in an early, early, early draft of the script from a long time ago and was never filmed.
Old 02-01-05, 04:59 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts
Did you actually see the last few seconds of the movie? Notice that the editing has the scene jump cutting back to the start of that scene?

That little edit right there may be pointing to the ending being that history is repeating itself. They keep breaking up and getting the treatment only to eventually date each other.
no. i stopped it a few seconds before it was actually over just to keep the illusion alive!
Old 02-01-05, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
well then, good sir, I do delcare that you should go back and watch it. It was a really interesting way and twist to change the whole meaning of the scene to have it open a new door to something else.
Old 02-01-05, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 188 Likes on 126 Posts

Well done Jacko, I thought (and noticed) the same thing, really made me love it all the more as well.
Old 02-01-05, 11:50 PM

Kaufman and Gondry actually fought over that apparently. Kaufman originally wanted the loop to run through all of the credits to further drive home the idea that they are just going to keep doing it over and over again. But in the movie it is only twice and it leads people to think a more optimistically for some reason but i still the the ending is more down and bittersweet.
Old 02-02-05, 12:35 AM

First time I saw the film, I felt they were doomed to repeat their never ending relationship forever. On my second viewing, I felt completely different. I thought that now they have a chance to learn from the past. Viewings 3-6 went back to the doom and gloom. I watched it for the 7th time the other night and got that sense of hope again. I've never watched a movie where my final outlook changed so much...

Tim
Old 02-02-05, 01:20 PM

How can they learn from their mistakes if they don't remember even making them?
Old 02-02-05, 01:24 PM

They learn because they have the tapes to listen to now.
Old 02-02-05, 02:27 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts
Originally Posted by DrStrangeL0ve71
How can they learn from their mistakes if they don't remember even making them?
you must have shut it off before the last 10 minutes!
Old 02-02-05, 02:32 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Brain Stew
But, that's not the point of the movie. The point is to enjoy the time you have together rather than dwelling on being apart. Remember, the good times AND the bad, because together memories and experiences form who you are.
Exactly how I take the ending. They want to do it again to recreate the memories, good and bad, since they had them erased. You are the sum of your experiences.

I'm glad they cut the infinite loop thing from the final version. That would have cheapened the movie to me. I like how it's now more focused on the above point. Plus the infinite loop would have just screamed "12 Monkeys ripoff) to me.
Old 02-10-05, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well, I just got around to renting this. It was good, but not great. The idea was very cool and creative. The acting, although I wouldn't rave about it, was well done. I can't really say what I didn't like about it except that I was just left feeling kind of depressed. I guess because even though at the end of the movie they are left with another beginning, I can see Joel and Clementine breaking up again for the same reasons. I realize it's supposed to be one of those "you don't know what you have until it's gone" things, but in the end the film didn't make me feel that they could really make the relationship work. Anyway, I'm babbling on here and probably not making sense. I'll just say I enjoyed the film, but it wasn't one of my favorites. I'd rate it ***1/2 of *****.
Old 02-10-05, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
It's not so much "you don't know what you've got till it's gone"... it's more about how the trip is more important than the destination.
Old 02-10-05, 04:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by taa455
I can't really say what I didn't like about it except that I was just left feeling kind of depressed.
And what's wrong with that?
Old 02-10-05, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Life is rather depressing at times.
Old 02-10-05, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Rivero
And what's wrong with that?
I prefer movies to not leave me feeling depressed. I know that is just my personal preference.
Old 02-10-05, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
I prefer movies to not leave me feeling depressed. I know that is just my personal preference.
The ending of the movie was not such a downer for me as you are implying.

I was quite shocked on how much I ended up liking this movie.
Old 02-10-05, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
The ending of the movie was not such a downer for me as you are implying.
Well, I was already in a pissy mood after just watching my Tar Heels lose to Duke... yet again. So maybe that was it. Maybe I'll watch ESotSM again sometime and gain another perspective on it. Like it said though, it was not a bad movie. I just wouldn't do backflips over it like many have.
Old 02-10-05, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Well, I was already in a pissy mood after just watching my Tar Heels lose to Duke... yet again. So maybe that was it. Maybe I'll watch ESotSM again sometime and gain another perspective on it. Like it said though, it was not a bad movie. I just wouldn't do backflips over it like many have.
Nothing wrong with having a different oppinion.
Old 07-02-05, 06:08 AM
Banned

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - I've been punk'd!

Ok, so Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is on HBO last night. I figure, high reviews from a lot of folks here and a 93% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, this should be entertaining.

Huh? WTF! That's almost two hours I'll never get back. I just don't get it. 93% rating? We're being punk'd.

Not one character to care about and a story that may have worked as a 5 minute sketch, but this just went on and on.

Granted I don't really get Charlie Kaufman's stuff. The phrase 'weird for weird's sake' comes to mind. I don't find much substance there.

But, different strokes I guess - There are people who love David Lynch's Eraserhead too (IMO one of the worst films ever made).
Old 07-02-05, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Granted I don't really get Charlie Kaufman's stuff
I think I found your problem.

Eternal sunshine is one of my favorite movies. You speak as if there's no character to care about. Huh? The characters in it are all very relatable. Who hasn't been in a position that they wish they could erase a bad memory, only to want it back again when faced with losing it. Good times or bad, it's still a memory that you hold dear.

I'm getting this vibe that you are fairly young. I would say teens. Why? Well you used the word "Punk'd" and that in itself is proof enough for me to place you in that age group. So perhaps it's just that you haven't ever been in a situation where you face a bad memory or go through a terrible event that you just wish to wipe it out.

The great thing about this film is how much depth it gets into. The editing makes it so that you know what is going on from the start, but you also don't know. Only as the film moves along does it unwrap itself so that you realize the events are repeating themselves. Much like history and mistakes. If you do not learn from them, in this case you erase them, you are bound to repeat them over and over again.

The ending also provided this little glimpse of potential do over with the editing showing the clip over and over again. I'm not sure how much more there is to get other than someone trying to not learn from their mistake and/or enjoying the moment while it last no matter if it's good or bad.
Old 07-02-05, 06:53 AM
Banned

Actually, had I wanted to date myself, (I haven't been a teen since the 80's), I should have said 'bring in Allen Funt'. (I just thought the Punk'd reference sounded funnier.)

It's not that I didn't get the plot. I just didn't think it was particularly entertaining or even original. Heck, isn't this one of the main plots of Star Trek V? Spock's half brother can get inside people's heads and take away their bad memories. As Kirk says, it's our memories, good and bad, that make us what we are - we need them all. (Although he probably pause several more times during it.)
Old 07-02-05, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 155 Posts
Charlie Kaufman's movies are definitely an acquired taste. It takes a couple of viewings to really understand them, and then another on top of that to see if you actually like them. I thought Eternal Sunshine was the best movie of last year, and Adaptation is one of my favorites of all time. Different strokes I guess.
Old 07-02-05, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ItsGreekToMe
Heck, isn't this one of the main plots of Star Trek V? Spock's half brother can get inside people's heads and take away their bad memories.
You just compared Eternal Sunshine to Star Trek V?

Wow.
Old 07-02-05, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,297 Likes on 942 Posts
Why do you feel you've been "punk'd"? This movie has been out for quite some time and you read reviews, so it shouldn't have come as a surprise that it wasn't a mainstream movie.

I still haven't seen Adaptation but I think Eternal Sunshine is a fantastic movie. Great story and great filmmaking.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.