Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-04, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
actually KD belongs in this thread
Old 10-18-04, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ah, I see. I watched the film in its entirety again last night and I did enjoy it a lot. Though I imagine not as much as some folks here.
Old 10-18-04, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Joem
Would it sound stupid if I say that I'm reluctant to watch this movie again?
I agree with BrentLumkin. That is just crazy talk.
Old 10-18-04, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Joem
Would it sound stupid if I say that I'm reluctant to watch this movie again?

I've only seen it once (in the theater), and it is far and away the best movie I've seen this year (Garden State is 2nd). I got this amazing chill that lasted for almost the entire movie, and I absoultely fell in love with it.

That being said, I've yet to even buy this DVD because I have such a great memory of it, and don't want that to be tarnished in anyway.

I can't think of a single other movie I've seen that I feel this way about (fwiw, it's not my favorite movie of all time either....that belongs to Braveheart, which I've watched a dozen times and loved each viewing) .

Is it silly to feel like this?
I feel the exact same way. I had almost immediate nostalgia for the film. I doubt I'll buy it, but I'll hold it in highest regard and recommend it to everyone.
Old 10-18-04, 01:31 PM
Banned

I can't believe how little attention this movie got. And Adaptation got so much more and was not nearly as good. I liked it in part because it was beautifully shot.
Old 10-18-04, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

my girlfriend is nuts, but nothing like Clementine (actually I'm more like Clementine)
Old 10-18-04, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by sdk
" Wy do i fall in love with all women who show me the slightest sign of affection ". Don't remember if that is correct but those of you who have seen it know what i mean. i love that sentece.
Agreed. I thought that was the most prolific line in the opening sequence.
Old 10-18-04, 02:20 PM

It's not necessary for a movie to be about something that I can relate directly to in my life in order for me to love it. Interesting though that the last time this theory was suggested in recent memory was when Lost in Translation was making its splash. I can't count the number of times people suggested that the reason guys loved and connected with LiT was because we all harbored fantasies about cheating with younger women. For me, that was definitely not the case, and I seriously doubt that it was with most of us who loved the film. But it did cause me to reflect in depth on the reasons why I felt such a strong affinity to movies like Eternal Sunshine and Lost in Translation. In retrospect, the movies that I tend to really "bond" with are ones that have a certain truthful quality to it.

It's truly a rare occurance these days when a movie possesses a well written plot and dialogue that doesn't TRY so hard to get a reaction from its audience thus rendering it melodramatic. Rather, the words should flow naturally and unforced, allowing the audience to immerse in the moment and react as the actors themselves react to hearing the words (as if) for the first time.

The interaction between the characters also plays a huge factor in the film's integrity and honesty. The more honest the dialogue sound or the actions look, the more I buy into the film's story. It doesn't matter whether the movie is a contemporary romance like Eternal Sunshine, or whether it's a space western like Star Wars, as long as the movie feels honest.

But again, that's just me.
Old 10-18-04, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by NoxHaveN
It's not necessary for a movie to be about something that I can relate directly to in my life in order for me to love it. Interesting though that the last time this theory was suggested in recent memory was when Lost in Translation was making its splash. I can't count the number of times people suggested that the reason guys loved and connected with LiT was because we all harbored fantasies about cheating with younger women. For me, that was definitely not the case, and I seriously doubt that it was with most of us who loved the film. But it did cause me to reflect in depth on the reasons why I felt such a strong affinity to movies like Eternal Sunshine and Lost in Translation. In retrospect, the movies that I tend to really "bond" with are ones that have a certain truthful quality to it.

It's truly a rare occurance these days when a movie possesses a well written plot and dialogue that doesn't TRY so hard to get a reaction from its audience thus rendering it melodramatic. Rather, the words should flow naturally and unforced, allowing the audience to immerse in the moment and react as the actors themselves react to hearing the words (as if) for the first time.

The interaction between the characters also plays a huge factor in the film's integrity and honesty. The more honest the dialogue sound or the actions look, the more I buy into the film's story. It doesn't matter whether the movie is a contemporary romance like Eternal Sunshine, or whether it's a space western like Star Wars, as long as the movie feels honest.

But again, that's just me.
Good explanation. I'm starting to get it now. I feel the same way about Garden State. I connected with that film on many different levels.
Old 10-18-04, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I now call this film my favorite ever, and the best ever in my opinion, for the following reasons:

1) All of the acting is outstanding, and everyone in the film seems to actually server a purpose.

2) I connected with the character of Joel simply because I share his mindset and views of of world. I'm not shy about it, it's all true.

3) Clementine was a fantastic character, my favorite ever. From her outgoing personality, to her hair, to everything else.

4) I loved the small simple things, such as Joel and Clementine lying on "thin ice".

5) The visuals blew me away, yet were really so simple. This wasn't a film that had a ton of money invested in special effects, yet at times it would lead you to believe otherwise.

6) The opening 17 minutes is my favorite stretch in ANY film. It's even more amazing to me that it all happened before the opening credits even showed up.

7) I loved that by the end of the film, everything tied together.

8) The film included some of the best lines and exchanges in dialogue ever. For once, what the characters had to say actually meant something. Here are just some of them:

A: Joel: Is there any risk of brain damage?

Howard: Well, technically speaking, the operation is brain damage, but on a par with a night of heavy drinking. Nothing you'll miss.

b: Joel: Why do I fall in love with every woman I see that shows me the least bit of attention?

C: Clementine: You're kind of closed mouthed, aren't you?

Joel: Sorry, my life isn't that interesting. I go to work. I go home. I don't know what to say.

Clementine: Does that make you sad? Or anxious? I'm always anxious thinking I'm not living my life to the fullest, you know? Taking advantage of every possibility. Just making sure that I'm not wasting one second of the little time I have.

D: Joel: Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating.

E: Joel: Are we like couples you see in restaurants? Are we the dining dead?

F: Clementine: Joely? What if you stay this time?

Joel: I walked out the door. There's no memory left.

Clementine: Come back and make up a goodbye at least, let's pretend we had one... Goodbye, Joel.

Joel : ...I love you...

Clementine : ...Meet me in Montauk...

9) The way that the actors delivered the lines was just amazing, especially Kate Winslet. I couldn't even begin to list all of the simple lines that she had, yet the way she presented them they meant so much more. A simple "you should stay" meant so much by just how she said it.

10) Don't get me started on the music in this film. Let's just say that I listen to the soundtrack all the time. I only wish that the soundtrack I have had longer cuts of some of the musical numbers.

11) It's the most rewatchable film for me. I can sit down at any time and start to watch it, and just not be able to stop myself.

12) Back to the acting in this film. As I said, everyone was great. It was just so emotional. In reality, it didn't even look like "acting" to me. I can't remember the last time that a cast came together as they did in this one, and I can't remember the last time that actors got so into their roles that they seemingly became the characters.

13) The direction was fantastic from top to bottom.

14) The Screenplay is the most well written that I've ever sat down and actually read.

15) As already mentioned, the film connects with me. The thought of going back and deleting a memory sounds fantastic, but in reality if it were possible, I'm sure I'd act just like Joel did and want to turn back. At times, even the most depressing of memories deserve to be remembered.

16) The film had an unreal flow to it. Everything seemed to mean something. Everything someone said seemed to have meaning. More importantly, the acting was so real. You know, just a perfect flow to everything, even the music that went along with it.

17) Finally, I can't remember the last time that a film made me feel as this one. I can watch it and just feel great about life in general.

In short though, I suppose I could just say that I liked everything about it, because that is the truth.

When it comes down to it though, I don't think I can really explain why I love it so much. I can give reasons, but I can't really explain it.

Last edited by BrentLumkin; 10-18-04 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-18-04, 02:57 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by g_i_john
I can't believe how little attention this movie got. And Adaptation got so much more and was not nearly as good. I liked it in part because it was beautifully shot.
Adaptation is a better movie.
Old 10-19-04, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Suprmallet
Adaptation is a better movie.
Lets just call them even and bow down to Kaufman for making such outstanding movies back to back.
Old 10-19-04, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by dick_grayson
my ex-girlfriend is nuts, but nothing like Clementine (actually I'm more like Clementine)

fixed
Old 10-19-04, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by dick_grayson
fixed
That sucks bro.

Time to call Lacuna.
Old 10-19-04, 08:56 PM

I saw this with my ex-girfriend and as many have said it really got to me. At the time I saw it, I was kind of feeling as fed up with our relationship as Joel and Clem were. As the movie unfolds, Joel starts to realize why he fell in love with her in the first place, and it made me do the same. It's probably the most romantic movie I've ever seen.
Old 10-19-04, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I like the film because of this http://www.lacunainc.com/

Cheers ,

DVD Smurf
Old 10-25-04, 09:08 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Well, people who don't buy good movies on DVD are sending the message to the studios that they don't like those kinds of movies.

Remember, your purchases are VOTES. What you buy helps tell the studio "THIS IS WHAT I WANT."

Without those purchases your good word of mouth is meaningless.
Old 10-25-04, 09:57 PM
Banned

It's disappointing to see that this movie still isn't really doing that well on video either. ah well, I'm sure it'll attain a strong following of ardent fans. Here's hoping it gets some recognition once all the Oscar hoopla starts.
Old 11-15-04, 04:16 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
While I hope it gets a nomination for at LEAST best original screenplay, I doubt this film will see any serious award nominations. It came out too early in the year and Jim Carrey still has the stigma of being a goofball comic actor - I don't know if this film was popular enough to garner him an acting nomination.

Similarly, while I think that Kill Bill Vol. 2 was the best film of the year, it probably won't get any oscar nods.
Old 11-25-04, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Well, I finally rented this. I was hesitant to watch it having never delved into a Kaufmann flick before...

...what the hell was I hesitant for? That was a fantastic film!!! The wife and I enjoyed it immensely. Great cast, particularly Winslet. She was drop-dead-gorgeous during the sequence in his mother's kitchen when he was under the table and she was going on and on about the dress and the kitchen.

Anyhow - what a pleasant surprise. Definitely one of the best films of the past year, which was lacking in the drama department, imo. My sister has been wanting to see it and now I can't wait to tell her about it.

**** out of *****.
Old 11-25-04, 06:25 PM
Banned

Couldn't have said it better myself
Old 01-31-05, 07:37 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
"Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" ending? (spoilers)

Aren't Clementine and Joel doomed to repeat the same ill fate their relationship took prior to erasure?
Old 01-31-05, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It depends on if you believe in fate/destiny or not. That's what I liked about it; there was no specific answer to that question.
Old 01-31-05, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by scott1598
Aren't Clementine and Joel doomed to repeat the same ill fate their relationship took prior to erasure?
Pretty much. Some people say that now that they know their problems with each other and have a second chance, it could work. It doesn't work that way...

But, that's not the point of the movie. The point is to enjoy the time you have together rather than dwelling on being apart. Remember, the good times AND the bad, because together memories and experiences form who you are.

Last edited by Brain Stew; 01-31-05 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-31-05, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Did you actually see the last few seconds of the movie? Notice that the editing has the scene jump cutting back to the start of that scene?

That little edit right there may be pointing to the ending being that history is repeating itself. They keep breaking up and getting the treatment only to eventually date each other.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.