Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

ROTK: Extended Edition details (SPOILERS!)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

ROTK: Extended Edition details (SPOILERS!)

Old 01-09-04, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know that the ROTK video game features a sequence where the Mouth of Sauron throws down the mithril coat, so that definately makes sense.
Old 01-13-04, 11:11 AM
Banned

Great news.
Old 01-13-04, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Seeker
I thought the writers were really paying attention and the circular wound on Frodo was the still existing bad bruise from when the troll TRIED to impale him, but the mithril saved him.
Actually, I thought the circular wound was from the Nazgul blade which happened before Frodo got the mithril from Bilbo.
Old 01-13-04, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by taa455
Actually, I thought the circular wound was from the Nazgul blade which happened before Frodo got the mithril from Bilbo.
No that wound was also there - it was the stab wound below his right shoulder - there are TWO wounds on his chest.
Old 01-13-04, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Frodo was stabbed under his left shoulder not his right.
Old 01-13-04, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Seeker
No that wound was also there - it was the stab wound below his right shoulder - there are TWO wounds on his chest.
Oh OK. I missed the second one.
Old 01-13-04, 10:12 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Kal Jedi
TheOneRing.net is reporting that this is going to be 4hr and 15 mins, not 4hr and 50 as previously reported.
4 hour and 15 minutes make more sense since I remember reading in Entertainment Weekly that Jackson's rough cut ran at 4 hours.
Old 01-13-04, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Cusm
Frodo was stabbed under his left shoulder not his right.
ok, MY right.. damn.
Old 01-14-04, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One of the DVD sites has an article that says that WETA is working on the digital effects for ROTK:EE. So everyone can breathe a sigh of relief - and realize that AICN is still full of it.
Old 01-14-04, 10:27 AM

Thank goodness. :sigh:
Old 01-16-04, 02:40 AM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by taa455
and i thought it was from the Ring. carrying it for so long would create some sort of impression on him from its power, and such.
Old 01-16-04, 02:41 AM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Giles
4 hour and 15 minutes make more sense since I remember reading in Entertainment Weekly that Jackson's rough cut ran at 4 hours.
no! 4:15 is too short. go for 5 hours. if they have the footage.
Old 01-16-04, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 656 Likes on 506 Posts
4:15 seems disappointing (despite the fact that neither of the previous EEs ever reached 4 hours, let alone top 4 hours) after having looked forward to a nigh five hour EE for so long.
Old 01-17-04, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts
I can't get worked up over an EE that's only an hour longer than the 3 hour plus theatrical version. The 5 hour version was only a pipe dream/internet rumor anyhow. It's not like PJ said the EE would be 4-5 hours or something like that. Hell, his original cut of ROTK was just over 4 hours, not 5. I doubt there's enough stuff to make it 5 hours, unless we get a bunch of flashbacks.

Besides, an hour is plenty of time to include the Saurman sequence (10 minutes tops) the Houses of Healing (maybe 15 minutes cut throughout the third act) the mouth of Sauron (5 minutes, tops) and still have plenty of time for Frodo & Sam's journey through Mordor and the trip from Minas Tirith to the black gate. I think you'll be surprised how much ah hour will add to make this already great movie truly spectacular. I honestly can't see what another hour would add.
Old 01-17-04, 05:02 PM
Banned

5 hours would be a bit too long...4:15 is about perfect...
Old 01-18-04, 04:30 AM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

i would be fine with 5 hours.

anyway, assuming they add in the Houses of Healing, how will it fit into the current version. after Eowyn and Merry kill the WK, they're both relatively fine afterwards. Eowyn talks to Theoden before he dies, and Merry is comforted by Pippin.

in the book, i believe they're both knocked out for several days.
Old 01-18-04, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I can't wait for this one. I loved RoTK, but felt it was the most disjointed of all the theatrical releases. I don't know why, but I could just tell that things were missing. And I'm not really familiar with the book as it's been years since I was read it by my dad (yeah it's been a LONG time).

And after watching TTT:EE, I can't wait. I loved the FoTR:EE and thought it really expanded the movie. But the TTT:EE...wow, I was amazed by how much it made that movie better. And I loved it to start with. Though, did anyone think the EE was...a lot more violent? Not that that is a bad thing, I just don't recall nearly as many manglings, shots to the neck, and decapitations as when I watched the EE. Maybe it's in my head.
Old 01-19-04, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 656 Likes on 506 Posts
Well Peter Jackson always stated before each EE release that it'd be rated R (I dunno if he's done the same for ROTK EE). But for FOTR the added violence wasn't really enough to warrant a stronger rating (at least, I don't think so) but I'm amazed the MPAA made no apparent effort to rate the EE of TTT any higher. There's way too many obvious dismemberments and decapitations and just plain really painful situations (the extended battering ram scene) to not make them change it to an R. I think by TTT they just didn't give a crap.

And, yes, ROTK did feel very disjointed. All three films have felt disjointed in their theatrical cuts but this one more so. The pacing was extremely rushed this time around. That's why I hope the EE helps slow it down a bit.
Old 01-19-04, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by RocShemp

And, yes, ROTK did feel very disjointed. All three films have felt disjointed in their theatrical cuts but this one more so. The pacing was extremely rushed this time around. That's why I hope the EE helps slow it down a bit.
Just had my 4th viewing last night. Actually, in my opinion the pacing is perfect if you keep in mind the theatrical-cut compromises necessary...UNTIL the post-Pellenor fields section involving Frodo and Sam in Mordor, and the march on the Black Gate. That is the section which I believe will get the greatest benefit. It's just very sudden to see all this aftermath of the battle, then boom, Frodo rescued, regroup and march with Merry intact, a clean Aragorn, quick jaunt through Mordor, and the conclusion which flows nicely.

Anyone stop and think how interesting it is that so many people feel a more than 3 hour movie isn't long enough?
Old 01-19-04, 02:15 PM

Yup, the running time ceiling has now been blown off for big event movies. We arent going to see alot of 3 hour + movies, but we will see a few more come out than we would have before.
Old 01-19-04, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by rushmore223
Yup, the running time ceiling has now been blown off for big event movies. We arent going to see alot of 3 hour + movies, but we will see a few more come out than we would have before.
The funny thing is that it used to be this way "way back when". Look at movies like Spartacus, The Great Escape, Gone With The Wind, Ben-Hur, Das Boot . . . the shortest of these is 2 hours and 52 minutes (The Great Escape). It's nice to be back . . .
Old 01-20-04, 10:02 AM

Originally posted by RocShemp

I agree, Two Towers: Theatrical cut's ending was very rushed. "Return of the King" not as bad as "Two Towers", but equally felt like scenes were just missing for the sake of time. The Extended Edition of "Return of the King" will be amazing.

Originally posted by talemyn
The funny thing is that it used to be this way "way back when". Look at movies like Spartacus, The Great Escape, Gone With The Wind, Ben-Hur, Das Boot . . . the shortest of these is 2 hours and 52 minutes (The Great Escape). It's nice to be back . . .
yeah but with the exception of "The Great Escape" all the films you listed had a much needed intermission. If the studio's are going to revisit 3+ hours films, give back the grandeur and relief of an intermission.
Old 01-20-04, 10:08 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
During a 3+ hour film I'm going to have to get up and leave my seat at some point anyway to relieve myself (although I managed to suffer through the last half hour of ROTK and not miss any).

I'd much prefer a brief intermission than miss part of the film. This is why I don't go to the movies as much as I used to (although at one point I was seeing 15+ films a week in theatres, so I don't think I *could* go as much as I used to).
Old 01-20-04, 11:20 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Giles
I agree, Two Towers: Theatrical cut's ending was very rushed. "Return of the King" not as bad as "Two Towers", but equally felt like scenes were just missing for the sake of time. The Extended Edition of "Return of the King" will be amazing.
I'd argue that both FOTR and TTT, in both theatrical and extended cuts, don't really have endings (or beginnings really).

It's one long movie, based on one long book (it's a misconception that it is a trilogy, the publisher just originally split it up as they didn't think it would sell well) so really FOTR is the only one with a real beginning and ROTK the only one with an ending. Otherwise the movies just flow together. If you edited them into one movie and dropped the credits from FOTR and TT, the jumps wouldn't be very jarring at all as both TT and ROTK start with flashbacks/dreams and just pick up where the last move left off.
Old 01-28-04, 01:14 PM

has there been any news if the Extended cut of Return of the King will get a theatrica run like "Fellowship"and "Two Towers"?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.