Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

ScarFace: The 20th Anniversary edition

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-19-03, 11:41 AM
Cool New Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the collection edition as well and the only different is that the movie is full screen instead of wide screen.

The reason for getting this movie is really for the DVD menu setup. It is just kewl as heck!! I think it is also funny on the bonus section the Def Jam part all the rappers and couple bad guys from "The Wire" talking about they made it out of the hood cause of this moive.

Last edited by Randall_Lind; 12-19-03 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-19-03, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to the board Randall!

Just FYI, topics like this should be posted in the DVD Talk forum, not the Movie Talk forum.
Old 12-19-03, 11:42 PM
Banned

They were selling Full & widescreen versions my friend.
You bought the full version.
Old 12-21-03, 07:42 AM
Cool New Member

I got mine at Kmart anyway I like full screen myself. I had no idea they made widescreen of it. Thanks for the information.
Old 12-21-03, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Randall_Lind
I like full screen myself. I had no idea they made widescreen of it.
uh oh....
Old 12-21-03, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got mine at Kmart anyway I like full screen myself. I had no idea they made widescreen of it. Thanks for the information.
In time, you shall see the light.

With a film like Scarface, a Brian De Palma film (and I don't have to go into the composition of his films), you'e missing out on a ton of picture by getting the so-called "fullscreen".
Old 12-21-03, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Or as we call it here, Fool Screen.
Old 12-21-03, 03:50 PM
Banned

When you check out the part on the dvd when they compare the t.v. version which is in full screen and the movie version which is in widescreen you'll see what your missing..
And they didn't show the full screen version in the movie theaters in 1983 or a few months ago when they re-released it.
Old 12-21-03, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: ScarFace: The 20th Anniversary edition

The reason for getting this movie is really for the DVD menu setup. It is just kewl as heck!!
Yep, screw the movie, I buy all my DVDs based on the design of their menus.

As far as the fullscreen thing, the rest of us are enjoying 45 percent more movie than you are. Or do you just watch the menu?
Old 12-21-03, 06:22 PM
Suspended

Give the guy a break, y'all gonna scare him off w/ the WS and OAR stuff.

Personally, I love the audio setup menu on my awesome full screen version of Scarface 20th anniversary edition. I get the whole menu instead of the 60% on the damn wide screen version. Long live Full Screen. Woohoo!!!
Old 12-21-03, 11:04 PM
Cool New Member

I watch it and then the WS verson on my Scarface collection version what do you mean I am missing parts?

Looks the same to me. So can some one name a clip and what is missing so I can go watch and see?

Last edited by Randall_Lind; 12-21-03 at 11:13 PM.
Old 12-22-03, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
alright, take the scene where tony shoots the guy in the middle of the street. right when he pulls the gun out, both of the characters are at the far ends of the frame, since the movie was shot in 2;35;1 widescreen (the "big black bars") only one of the characters can be seen due to the composition of the shot. to see the difference, go to the "tv version" portion of the documentary on disc 2, you will see how the pan and scan ruins this moment., as it shows the movie how it was meant to be seen, then it shows the same scene in pan and scan (and censored to because it was the tv version)

another good scene is in the movie pulp fiction. right when jules shoots "flock of seagulls", in the pan and scan version, the screen pans over right as jules pulls out his gun and stops panning when he finally shoots him. this kind of ruins the sudden jump you get when he does shoot him. in the widescreen version, we see him pull out his gun and shoot him without the camera moving at all. this really is better for the movie, because him suddenly shooting him puts you more at the edge of your seat.

there are two good examples of why pan and scan sucks and widescreen should be viewed when availible.

Last edited by Rypro 525; 12-22-03 at 11:48 AM.