Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Will there be another part of LOTR?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-03, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just kidding...got your attention though....Through word of mouth i have heard people talking about the movie asking if there was going to be another one...it went something like this "ya ya ...I didnt understand the ending either...will there be another one"....or something like this "I cant wait til the next one comes out"....I didnt have the heart to call these people complete morons though....Its Christmas you know
Old 12-19-03, 11:54 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
haha. Maybe those people were talking about 'The Hobbit'. I'd like to see a three-hour version of it with Ian McKellan, Andy Serkis and possibly Holm. We could even see a very young child Aragorn in Rivendell, who Elrond is looking after, when Bilbo passes through there.
Old 12-19-03, 12:23 PM

Wouldn't Aragorn be 30 in the Hobbit? Or would that be 15? Hmmm the movie and book timelines have confused me.
Old 12-19-03, 12:53 PM

Bilbo is 51 in the Hobbit. He's obviously 111 in the beginning of the Fellowship movie, but the rest of the quest (starting when Gandalf returns to the Shire after reading Isildor's scroll) is supposed to take place 17 years later. So if Aragorn is 87 during that time, that would make him 10 during the time of The Hobbit.

Bilbo, Gandalf, Gollum, and Elrond all appear in the Hobbit book so those same actors could resume their rolls. Characters like Arwen and Saruman were around during the time of the Hobbit so if the screenwriters wanted to write scenes for them they could.
Old 12-19-03, 12:57 PM

The could also put in Sauron as the Necromancer.
Old 12-19-03, 12:58 PM

Coming soon -- LOTR: Episode One!
Old 12-19-03, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Inverse
Coming soon -- LOTR: Episode One!
starring Ahmed Best as Jar Jar Baggins
Old 12-19-03, 01:23 PM
Suspended

I keep reading rumors of a hobbit movie, it would be great but IMO it wouldn't have the same "magic" if it didn't have the same actors. They'd have to do it soon though before the old ones get too old

I read the book like 10 years ago and stopped half way through cuz I got bored with it and it seemed to "kiddy" Was Aragorn even in it? And what about Gimli?
Old 12-19-03, 01:42 PM

The Hobbit was a children's book (as if the beginning of LOTR up to the point where they get to Bree, where it changes to be much more serious and less about childish scheming and diversions. I still think Peter Jackson could turn it into a great movie. I don't recall there being much character overlap aside from Gandalf and Bilbo, but I think Gimli's father Gloin is in it, as is Balin (whose grave they find in Moria in FOTR).
Old 12-19-03, 01:50 PM

The only characters that overlap are Bilbo, Gandalf, Elrond, Gollum and the Eagles.

The Hobbit takes place in Third Age 2941, Bilbo's 111th birthday/Frodo's 33rd (the start of LOTR) takes place in T.A. 3001. Frodo's departure from the Shire takes place in T.A. 3018, so a younger Bilbo would be appropriate. (Although PJ did not indicate the 17 year lapse between party and Frodo fleeing the Shire...)
Old 12-19-03, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
re Hobbit:

I'd admit it would be interesting seeing Arwen (Liv Tyler) still looking exactly the same, shooing around a 10 year old Aragorn.

That would raise some eyebrows.
Old 12-19-03, 02:00 PM
Suspended

But, in the beginning of FotR, they show Bilbo finding the ring.. it'd be great if they could use Ian Holm as bilbo, give him a little makeup to give him a slightly younger look, and maybe even for the scene where he picks up the ring they could use the same exact footage, make it all match and stuff
Old 12-19-03, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ian Holm is a really good actor, a little old in the tooth for Bilbo at 51, but I'd expect he'd still do a good job.

The real problem is that "Bilbo at 51" is like Frodo or Aragorn...

Frodo is 50 during the Lord of the Rings journey (33 at the very beginning); Aragorn is 87.

People were shocked at Aragorn's age - imagine if Frodo had said "I'm 50 years old" sometime during the ring movies.
Old 12-19-03, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Seeker
I'd admit it would be interesting seeing Arwen (Liv Tyler) still looking exactly the same, shooing around a 10 year old Aragorn.
Old 12-19-03, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Lets not forget the chance of Legolas making a cameo at The Battle of Five Armies. He is an elf from mirkwood anyway. So, it would make sense.
Old 12-19-03, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Seeker
Ian Holm is a really good actor, a little old in the tooth for Bilbo at 51, but I'd expect he'd still do a good job.

The real problem is that "Bilbo at 51" is like Frodo or Aragorn...
Actually, Bilbo should look a bit more middle-aged than Frodo does. The ring stops aging more or less (for a while, at least) and Bilbo got it in his 50s, while Frodo receives it at 33. Keep in mind that Bilbo wasn't supposed to reach 100, most likely, if he lived a normal Baggins lifespan.

If they were to do this movie soon, he could easily play Bilbo. Frankly, Frodo and hobbit friends are pictured as too young in the movies.