Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

So can we say ROTK is the best movie of all time? What do you think?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-03, 09:04 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still have to see it myself which won't be til Monday so I'll hold off my judgement til then.

I was wondering what everyone thinks on whether the Return of the King beats every movie that ever existed. Does it beat Star Wars or even Titanic?
Old 12-18-03, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
No, but that's because I ususally think films should stand on their own, so you have to take all 3 of the LOTR films and ask your that same question, "Do these 3 parts make for the greatest film ever"?. And then I'd probably say no again.

ROTK relies on what came before it to have the emotional impact that it does. Had there not been FOTR or TTT, it wouldn't work as a great film, but a good one with incomplete characterizations.
Old 12-18-03, 09:32 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best movie ever? Of course not, silly. But best fantasy film? Best adventure? Best film trilogy ever? Once the third and final EE is released.....quite possibly.
Old 12-18-03, 09:33 AM

Originally posted by Rivero
Best movie ever? Of course not, silly. But best fantasy film? Best adventure? Best film trilogy ever? Once the third and final EE is released.....quite possibly.
i'd have to agree with this
Old 12-18-03, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Patman, that's dumb. Say yes or no, don't be silly and claim that a film based on a 3rd of a book, filmed at the same time as parts 1 and 2, and DESIGNED as a 3rd of a story needs to stand on its own as if the other 2 parts didn't exist. What, did you just realize there were 3 parts yesterday?

The question is a bit off as treating ANY of the LOTR films by themselves is not worthwhile.

I don't know if this trilogy is the best movie of all time, but it is certainly one of the best.
Old 12-18-03, 09:36 AM

i can certainly say it's the best 10+ hour movie i've ever seen........that good enough for you?
Old 12-18-03, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's up there among the rest of 'em.
Old 12-18-03, 10:25 AM
Banned

As a Trilogy...its one of the best ever...but not THE best...
Old 12-18-03, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Again, no, ROTK is not the best film ever, even if you take into account the other 2 LOTR films. Just one man's opinion.
Old 12-18-03, 10:46 AM

Re: So can we say ROTK is the best movie of all time? What do you think?

Originally posted by Regurgitator
I still have to see it myself which won't be til Monday so I'll hold off my judgement til then.

I was wondering what everyone thinks on whether the Return of the King beats every movie that ever existed. Does it beat Star Wars or even Titanic?
Best movie of all time? It's not even the best movie of 2003! Don't want to take anything away from Jackson's film, but Mystic River was a better movie, IMHO.
Old 12-18-03, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
Again, no, ROTK is not the best film ever, even if you take into account the other 2 LOTR films. Just one man's opinion.
Agreed. And it's not even the best film this year, but I already got flamed for that in another thread so I want go anymore into it here.
Old 12-18-03, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It is one of them for me--mainly because the emotions it elicited in me were so strong. I love too many movies to choose just one.

I won't know how high up on that crowded list to place it without many more viewings, and especially the definitive version yet to come. This version of ROTK was just a phenomenal warm-up exercise, the way I see it.
Old 12-18-03, 01:32 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
theatrical version: no

Extended Edition: I expect to say most definately yes.
Old 12-18-03, 01:47 PM

Re: So can we say ROTK is the best movie of all time? What do you think?

Originally posted by Regurgitator

Dude you have got to be kidding...you think that Titanic was a good movie...thank god that you like LOTR otherwise i would call you a complette dork
Old 12-18-03, 01:50 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Come on. Be respectful of others opinions. I didn't care much for Titanic, but I'm not going to insult anyone that liked it. Different strokes for different folks. Movies are 100% subjective.

Anyway, ROTK is definitely my all time favorite movie. Best is a word I don't like to throw around as I feel calling something "the best movie ever made" comes of as elitist and insulting to people that don't agree.
Old 12-18-03, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No, it is not even the best for the year. It is still one of my favorites.
Old 12-18-03, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Daytrip
i can certainly say it's the best 10+ hour movie i've ever seen........that good enough for you?
But, it's the ONLY 10+ movie I've ever seen!
Old 12-18-03, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by jarofclay73
But, it's the ONLY 10+ movie I've ever seen!
shhhh don't tell anyone
Old 12-18-03, 02:46 PM

It's definetely THE BEST film ever!...in MY book. My best could be your last...so there's no right answer for this. All movies are considered The BEST in one way or another, depending the individuals
Old 12-18-03, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No way it's the best film ever. It's a truly great film and a wonderful end to one of the greatest trilogies ever, but it is by no means one of the best ever made.

Engel07, I do agree with you that there is no correct answer to the question. Everybody has a different opinion on the best film ever, and noone is right or wrong.
Old 12-18-03, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I believe it is the best movie ever. Simply amazing...Because it was not an original idea (came from a book) it makes it harder for it to accomplish the best of all time...however, all my expectations for this movie were surrpassed, the direction was superb and the acting was amazing.

to me this was absolutely the greatest movie ever! i cant wait for the extended edition.
Old 12-18-03, 05:12 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Best movie ever? Can't say that. I would have to give that title to 2001: A Space Odyssey. But, I can see this The Lord of the Rings, taken as one film, is one of my three favorite films, along with 2001, and Duck Amuck. That's right. Duck Amuck. I'm sure people will completely disregard my opinion now that I've put Looney Tunes and Kubrick and Lord of the Rings on par with each other, but well, Duck Amuck is absolutely brilliant.
Old 12-18-03, 06:46 PM

This question can't be answered, because it is a matter of opinion. I think ROTK, along with the other two, are the best movies ever made. These three films are my favorite of all time. But somebody else might think they are complete crap. There is no way that we could get everyone to agree on what the best movie of all time is. I also love Star Wars, but I know a lot of people who hate it. I hated Titanic, I did not even think it was the best picture that year.
Old 12-18-03, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

LotR isnt any more a trilogy than the books are... the book is ONE book with 3 parts... the film is ONE film with three parts. Indy is the best trilogy ever.

LotR (EE especially) is definitely in the top 5 for best movie ever.

j
Old 12-19-03, 01:05 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by mwdkill
Dude you have got to be kidding...you think that Titanic was a good movie...thank god that you like LOTR otherwise i would call you a complette dork
Dude, I never said that I personally liked Titanic. Titanic was so terrible. I definitely hated Leonardo DeCaprio.

I was just stating that based on huge box office amount it made during its run it seemed most people thought it was one of the greatest move of all time at that time.

Much the same as when Star Wars came out and everyone liked it. That's why it made a big huge hit at the box office.

So can we not say ROTK to date is the best movie that surpassed everything else so far made? I predict that this weekend ROTK will break the record in grossing more than when Spiderman did on it's first weekend. Even though Spiderman started on a Friday and ROTK began on a Wednesday.. I'm counting on repeat viewers to jam the theaters this weekend.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.