Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Golden Globe nominations

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Golden Globe nominations

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-03, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm for Uma WINNING best actress, never mind being nominated. And where is Quentin's nom for bringing out a movie so full of wonders for his audience??
Old 12-19-03, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
I've seen House of Sand and Fog and 21 Grams. That said - both leads have dramatically heavy roles and convey 'em very well.

However, for some reason, I couldn't buy Naomi Watts in 21G, which is paining to me because I am a huge fan of hers (and have been for years). She's excellent but about half the scenes just don't seem, I don't know, sincere.

Uma Thurman's nomination I have no problem with nor would have I if it were Jennifer Connolly (who is excellent in HoSaF, and quite consistant) or Naomi Watts (who is good in 21 Grams). While Thurman's role wasn't thoroughly emotional as the previous two (she spent decidedly less time crying and screaming), she showed a nice amount of range in it. It was all stoic but was emoted very well.

I just don't get Diane Lane's nomination, sure she was fine in Under the Tuscan Sun but really it just did nothing for me. But it is comedy, so I guess that's not as big a deal??? I dunno.

Oh and yes, Lost in Translation was a "comedy" in the same way as About Schmidt - which got nominated as Drama last year (who knows why), both were very funny, very enjoyable movies to me.

That all said, I actually liked Penn better in 21 Grams than I did in Mystic River. But I suppose that's just because it felt a little more... natural. And is it just me or does Cold Mountain just look really, really dull? I mean, it looks like a well made movie, but a ridiculously uninteresting one.

So that all said... I'd like to see Charlize Theron win best actress (I'm a huge fk'n fan of hers), No comment on best actor (Penn is up for the wrong movie, Crowe and Kingsly are excellent but they're both roles I've seen 'em in before, Cruise was good in Last Samurai but hammed it up a few too many times, and well I'll prolly be skipping Cold Mountain.)

Oh, and it absolutely ****ing rules that Ken Wantanabe got a nom.

Last edited by RichC2; 12-19-03 at 12:34 AM.
Old 12-19-03, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All I'm saying is...

What the hell about American Splendor?! IMHO, Best Comedy of the Year. (Perhaps even Best Movie of the Year. Haven't seen Return of the King yet. )

K
Old 12-19-03, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm very happy Patricia Clarkson got a nom for "Pieces of April" but wish she would have gotten a nom for "The Station Agent" instead.

I wonder if Harvey is gearing up his Miramax machine for award winning?

Last edited by LiquidSky; 12-19-03 at 08:47 AM.
Old 12-19-03, 02:43 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by badger1997
How could he say that? Simple. It's a matter of opinion. That's what everybody seems to forget when they whine about somebody getting nominated over somebody else. This is all very, very subjective and opinion based. Myself, I love Connelly, but didn't think she was anything special in House of Sand and Fog, although I have yet to see 21 Grams to form an opinion (although i want to see it really badly.)

Yeah, I realize all nominations are opinion - but presumably its an informed opinion. If I was going to extoll one actress/film/nomination and bad mouth another, it is unreasonable to expect me to at least see the films in question?

And since House of Sand and Fog just came out today in limited release, I question the opinion of anyone commenting on it. And yes, I have seen it (albeit at a test screening.)
Old 12-21-03, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

my picks out of the nominees:

Picture - Drama
Mystic River

Picture - Musical/Comedy
None of the nominees.

Director
Clint Eastwood, Mystic River

Actor - Drama
Sean penn
(But mostly for his performance in 21 grams)

Best actor - Musical/Comedy
Billy Bob Thornton, Bad Santa

Actress - Drama
Charlize Theron, Monster

Actress - Musical/Comedy
Jamie Lee Curtis, Freaky friday.
(She was the best thing about the movie)

Supporting Actor
Tim Robbins, Mystic River
(I was most surprised by his performance)

Supporting Actress
Patricia Clarkson, Pieces of April
(Haven't seen pieces of april, but this woman deserves some award recognition. She's always amazing)

Screenplay
None of the nominees.

Foreign Film
Barbarian invasions

Score
ROTK

Song
They all sucked.
Old 12-21-03, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts
Director
Sofia Coppola, Lost in Translation
Clint Eastwood, Mystic River
Peter Jackson, ROTK
Anthony Minghella, Cold Mountain
Peter Weir, Master and Commander

Well the Hollywood Foreign Press might be 30 or 40 star-struck old geezers who will happily exchange a bribe or complement for a nomination, but like the proverbial stopped clock, the occasionally do get things right.
Old 12-21-03, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm glad Tom Cruise got a nom for Last Samurai, as someone earlier said he was good but hammed it up a couple of times.

Ken Watanabe definitely deserved his supporting nod for LS.

I hope Scarlett Johanssen wins something.

Patricia Clarkson should've been nominated for The Station Agent, I saw Pieces of April and it was a Piece of Crap.

By the way, where the heck is THE STATION AGENT. No best picture, nothing for Peter Dinklage or Bobby Cannavalle. That's ridiculous.

Mystic River was a great film. Penn, Robbins, Hardin, Bacon were all terrific.

The boy that plays young Anthony Hopkins in The Human Stain should also have gotten a supporting nom.

Uma deserves it. When was the last time a woman both literally, emotionally and physically carried a film on her back.
Give it up for her.

I also think Ed Zwick should've been nominated for Best Director. With all the elegance, fight scenes, emotion, foreign land etc. of THE LAST SAMURAI....it's a shame.

At least he got Best Director from the National Board of Review.

whew, there i've said my peace, with a few misspelled words.