Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rank 'em! (Fellowship, Towers and King)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Best film of the trilogy
Fellowship of the Ring
30.06%
Two Towers
7.51%
Return of the King
58.38%
Lord of the What?
4.05%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-03, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know it's supposed to be One Movie and most consider the EE DVD as the definitive cut but for this thread's purposes, What's your favorite of the 3?

Mine would be Fellowship over King by a very very very very slim margin with Towers bringin up the rear.
Old 12-17-03, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
haven't seen ROTK yet(tonight) but so far its'

FOTR
TTT

i'm sure ROTK will be atop the list after tonight though
Old 12-17-03, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
The order in which they were released. Fellowship first, Two Towers, then RotK.
Old 12-17-03, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For me it's ROTK, FOTR, and then TTT.
Old 12-17-03, 02:18 PM

I will start off by saying, I loved ROTK. I did have problems with it though, most problems come from stuff I know was filmed but ended up getting cut out of the movie, I dont wanna comment too much on specifics, just cause I'm too tired to put spoiler blocks in the message right now and I dont wanna ruin the movie for anyone. I know I should be seeing so much more, I guess I will have to wait for the Extended Editions. I also wish I could have had more dialogue and less battle scenes. It's not a case of not liking what I saw, just feeling like I did not have enough of it. I have to say, maybe I was a little numb at seeing the film, but alot of what should have been emotional to me, seemed to fall flat, perhaps I will feel more on a second viewing. I hope so. My only real problem, content wise at least, was with the Palantir. Without going into specifics, I did not like the cheesy way they handled this, thought it could have been done much better, just looked kind of stupid. Think this part should have been done more faithfully to the book, wouldnt have taken any extra time really to do it. I am seeing it again tonight, perhaps I will be singing a different tune later.

Fellowship for me was the most impactful, I guess it is the quiet moments I love best, and Fellowship had more of them, and more emotion (to me at least) than the other two.
Old 12-17-03, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

For me it's definately the order in which they were released. FOTR, TTT & ROTK.
Old 12-17-03, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^^My sentiments exactly^^
Old 12-17-03, 02:36 PM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have liked them in the reversed order of release.

ROTK
TTT
FOTR
Old 12-17-03, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^^me too^^
Old 12-17-03, 02:39 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think this poll shoulda been done only after the Extended Edition of rotk was released. Watching King you could really sense how rushed it was to fit a manageable running time for mainstream audiences. Really makes you wonder what great stuff was left on the cutting-room floor. That said, I still think King is the best of the three. I didn't think it would better Fellowship as a film, and maybe technically it still doesn't, but if you're a fan of this series there is no denying the emotional impact of King's final scenes. Maybe Fellowship is better edited, better paced, and more "complete"......but I got much more choked up during King. When Aragorn made his statement to the four hobbits nearly the entire theatre, men and women, was in tears. That should say something.
Old 12-17-03, 02:52 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ROTK
FOTR:EE
TTT: EE
Old 12-17-03, 03:13 PM

King -> Fellowship -> Towers
Old 12-17-03, 06:23 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
The 1st to rule them all...

It has to be Fellowship 1st.

That is where all the magic started. The other two movies just embellished to a further degree. Don't get me wrong they embellished it to a magnificent degree, but I just didn't feel the same way I did when seeing the latter two as I did with Fellow. It was fresh, new and it was amazing. Fellowship of the Ring was what movies are all about. It is the definition of a movie.

A wondorous story that transports you to another time and place. It had everything a movie is supposed to be about and then some. It was simply a pure movie in the truest sense of the word. The other two stories were extensions of such a fine story. It indulged, it grew and it wolloped with towering emotion. The other two were amazing movies as well, but the virgin magic that the first captured was gone and that cannot be gotten again.

Of course there was more and there was different and of course there was other emotion, but the granduer was tarnished and the breathtaking, emotional impact of the 1st. Two Towers was good, but I thought it lacked, thus I rank 3rd. Return of the King was great, maybe a little long, but emotional and powerful and wonderful and put 2nd in my list.

A great end to a great trilogy of movies, but for me Fellowship of the Ring has and will remain the one "movie" to rule them all.
Old 12-17-03, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

For me it's:

ROTK
FOTR: EE
Old 12-17-03, 09:05 PM

Fellowship...Return...and then TTT
Old 12-17-03, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Return of the King
Fellowship
TT
Old 12-17-03, 09:44 PM

just an observation...

Why do people abreviate The Two Towers as TTT?

All three movies/books and the story as a whole have "The" as the first word of their title. The Lord of the Rings ... The Fellowship of the Ring... The Two Towers... The Return of the King.

I never see TLOTR, TFOTR, or TROTK. Pick one or the other.
Old 12-17-03, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I need to see ROTK a few more times before this list is solid, but I think The Two Towers Extended is probably my favourite. It really just blows Fellowship out of the water IMO and is more satisfying and contained than ROTK.

I'm very surprised that more people haven't picked Two Towers as their favourite (and that said, I think ROTK was my favourite book, but as far as the films go, TT wins hands down).

Maybe it's just because Helm's Deep and Gollum kick so much ass...

MATT
Old 12-17-03, 10:27 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
King
Two Towers (EE)
Fellowship (EE)
Old 12-17-03, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1. Return of the King
2. Fellowship of the Ring
3. The Two Towers
Old 12-17-03, 10:34 PM
Cool New Member

Theatrical Editions:
ROTK
TTT
FOTR

All Editions:
ROTK
FOTR: EE

That said, I'm nearly positive that when the ROTK: EE is released that it'll be my favorite of the three.
Old 12-17-03, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Rivero
Watching King you could really sense how rushed it was to fit a manageable running time for mainstream audiences.
Is 3 hours and 25 minutes considered "manageable" for mainstream audiences?

I thought the film should have ended at Galadriel's voice-over. It would have been a nice bookend to Galadriel's intro in FOTR.
Old 12-17-03, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Astro
just an observation...

Why do people abreviate The Two Towers as TTT?

All three movies/books and the story as a whole have "The" as the first word of their title. The Lord of the Rings ... The Fellowship of the Ring... The Two Towers... The Return of the King.

I never see TLOTR, TFOTR, or TROTK. Pick one or the other.
Maybe because simply "TT" is weird and is strangely reminiscient of a body part.
Old 12-18-03, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I will prognosticate to 11/2004 and say:

1) ROTK: EE - the best, the most emotional, the most epic--one of the greatest films of all times and places.

2) FOTR: EE - a scary, cool, touching, beautiful road film and adventure, not far behind the third part in greatness.

3) TTT: EE - just a few short steps behind the others due to 'middle child' issues, but on its own, what an incredible fantasy film with unforgettable sights and sounds.

Even now with the 'incomplete' ROTK, it is the best just because of the feelings it elicits from me and the incredible epicness of it.

And taken all together, LOTR has not just raised the bar for epic fantasy/sci-fi filmmaking, it has obliterated it. Bravo!

Last edited by Jepthah; 12-18-03 at 01:08 AM.
Old 12-18-03, 01:11 AM

ROTK only because I expect the EE to vault it ahead of FOTR.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.