Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the big deal about LotR?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What's the big deal about LotR?

Old 12-21-03, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What's the big deal about LotR?

Originally posted by DRG
Let me preface this by saying I enjoyed both FotR and TTT, and own the EEs of each. I also have my tickets for RotK tonight. That said, I thought Fellowship was a pretty good film, and Two Towers was very good. But I wouldn't consider either to be "great" films... that is neither film is in my top 5 list for each year, and definitely not in my all-time top 10.

My question is for those who DO consider them to be among the best movies ever...what is it about these movies that makes it more than just a good movie to you? I know many were already hooked on the books, and this love has overlapped to the films. But I also know many who have never read the books and consider the movies the epitomy of filmdom.

I'm not trying to slam the series, as I do enjoy the movies. When I watch them I see well-made, above average fantasy epics. Great action scenes, beautiful scenery, cool villains, with one superb character (Gollum), and a handful of interesting ones (the Hobbits, the dwarf). But I find the majority of the characters (Aragorn, Gandalf, the elves, etc.) to be generic noble heroes and the story to be an average good vs evil story. What am I missing?

Um, sir, I'm seriously doubting my signature here. With a headline like that, I ask, how dare you? But, I understand your question, as stated. And, after seeing ROTK tonight, I think this series, and the last in particular are astounding, amazing, and almost untouchable. ROTK has soo many moments in it that are completely lacking in today's movies. Just completely.

I hardly go out to see a movie these days, unless I hear good things (Lost in Translation) or am a fan of the series already (Matrix Revolutions), and while the former was good, or pretty good, and is now being considered for Oscar nominations....... it lacks the umph, power and awe of a masterpiece like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Now, ROTK may not be the perfect, elegant symphony that Lawrence of Arabia is.... but it's the closest I've seen, AND FELT in years! The story, the storytelling, the character moments, the sweeping action..... It's all just ****ing great.

BTW, I consider FOTR better that TTT, even though the EE was quite good for the second one. Are any of the films on my top ten of all time? Well, that's a sore, hard question.... but I would definitely nominate ROTK, for sure.....
Old 12-22-03, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Re: What's the big deal about LotR?

Originally posted by scroll2b
Now, ROTK may not be the perfect, elegant symphony that Lawrence of Arabia is....
anyone else fall asleep during their 1st viewing of LoA? lol! not sure why its supposed to be so great exactly... Id take RotK anyday. i mean, gay englishman running around the desert? ummm... goody!

j