Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

How was your theater experience for ROTK?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-17-03, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just wondering what happened to the rest of you lot. I'll post mine tomorrow as I've got quite the tale.
Old 12-17-03, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
loud. a bit too much talking and shouting during scenes of the movie.

A girl next to me kept asking her boyfriend real stupid questions.

Before the movie some stupid kids kept trying to tell lines from Monty Python's Holy Grail- fake accents, wrong lines and bad timing can really ruin good jokes

I loved the movie although I could have done without the people.
Old 12-17-03, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its funny ... in my town, they announced at all of the schools that cops would be waiting at the theater to arrest any student out after curfew without their parents actually with them, not just dropping them off.
Old 12-17-03, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 198 Likes on 163 Posts
a few of the fanatical fan-boys kept shouting/clapping/laughing too often - this got really bad during ROTK - kind of ruined my enjoyment of some of the good scenes. They could have held their applause until the end, imo.

I'm going to see it again, hopefully it there will be a better crowd.
Old 12-17-03, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't do well with a lot of clapping.. keep that to plays. you figure though the midnight die hards (and trilogy tues) would have a lot of that energy in them.

Over all I enjoyed my theater experience given the situation. loved the film and that made it for me. I do feel like some what of a nerd when I can run accross 4 different folks I know I haven't seen in months to years in a theater I don't go to often.
Old 12-17-03, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I went the to the marathon and it was great. People clapped for everything. The most claps came for the opening credits and the end. But suprisingly, alot of parts in the movie got some enormous claps.

Even the Harry Potter trailer got great claps.
Old 12-17-03, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not bad, surprisingly. The only problem I had was 2 girls sitting next to me who cheered, laughed, and applauded at all the wrong times.
Old 12-17-03, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by raven56706

Even the Harry Potter trailer got great claps.
Harry always gets claps.

Ok, here's my story. I had my cousin stand in line for me cuz I still had to do some errands before. They let people in at 10pm which was surprisingly early. So the movie starts right? I sat next to the most annoying couple ever. I wanted to clock the lady sitting next to the guy on my right. I swear, this lady pumped her fist in the air every. five. freakin. minutes. Gandalf would say something. pump the fist. Aragorn would say something. pump the fist.
Spoiler:
the Rohirrim arrives.
pump the fist. Theoden speaks. pump the fist.
Spoiler:
sam throws a stone at gollum
pump.the.fist.in.the.air.
Spoiler:
Sam sees Frodo on the edge of the crack of doom
pump...the fist...in the air...argh! I mean, I understand there are points when obviously you'll be compelled to cheer, clap, whatever but the freakin music swells and she PUMPS HER FIST IN THE AIR. The music swells! that's it. Nothing's even happening on screen.

I'm usually good at tuning out the other people when I watch the movies but I swear, I wanted to just tie this lady's hand and hang it by a thread to the ceiling so it'd just stay up.

Otherwise, it was a pretty good crowd. Applause at the Spidey 2 trailer, Azkaban and about 3 times in the movie.
Old 12-17-03, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Audience was o.k.

Right after
Spoiler:
Frodo leaves to the grey havens and a new scene starts
This teenage girl/idiot screams "End it...please!!!"

Why come to the movie? Why scream out to let everyone know you want it to end? Just get up and leave if it's such a problem. Damn, I'll never understand people's needs to make spectacles of themselves.
Old 12-17-03, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

People chewed popcorn to loud, slirped their drinks, chomped on candy to much, burped, laughed, clapped, cheered, breathed, sneezed, got up to go to the bath room, wispered to each other...I cannot believe how human people can be at a movie theater.

I love movies at home, but there are some movies you must see with a crowd - TLOTRs are the movies you must see in the theater.
Old 12-17-03, 12:54 PM

I guess I should wait until it calms down . Damn...I'm disappointed i'm not getting a free preview ticket for this one. I got for others...DAMN Oh well..i'm on-call this week anyway...can't be away from a computer more than 1 hour.
Old 12-17-03, 02:06 PM
Suspended

I saw it at cinemark tinseltown in grapevine TX at 12:01am. Wonderful experience. Excellent movie. Too many teenagers yelling towards the end of the movie.

My girlfriend and I got there 1.5 hours early. The 12:01 line was already packed! I got decent seats, but wish i would have been more toward the middle of the theaters. When we got there, the 12:02am and 12:03am showings didn't even have lines yet! I could have had my choice of seats! What gives?
Old 12-17-03, 02:20 PM

Very good actually. Got the first screeing @ 10:20 this morning. On the end of my row a couple talked on & off through the first 10 minutes of the film then they thankfully shut up. There were the obligatory cheering and jeering moments and I managed to sit through the film in total, even after downing a 20.Oz Coke! Theater was packed and everybody seemed to really enjoy it. truly a magnificent film.
Old 12-17-03, 02:26 PM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

As I mentioned in a different thread, I kind of just happened upon LOTR: ROTK (ahem, ahem). So I was quite surprised that the turn-out for the 12:15 am showing wasn't all that great. The theater was maybe 3/4 full, and I basically had my pick of the litter of seats, even though commercials (not trailers) had already began before I found my seat. Anyway, the crowd was incredibly attentive. They laughed, cried, and gasped in all appropriate areas. Of course there were a few who found just about everything funny, but they were not overly disrespectful, and were easily ignored. I think the scene where
Spoiler:
Frodo turns against Sam and tells him to go home
got the biggest response of the night. What was funny to me though, was that there wasn't any clapping at all, even at the end (I don't like clapping during a film, but show it a little love at the end!). There wasn't even any chatter as people made their way to the exits. Strange.
Old 12-17-03, 03:09 PM

Lots of clapping and laughing at the appropriate places. I could also hear a lot of people crying by the end of the movie as well.
Spoiler:
(mostly around the gray havens scene)

There also was some laughing at what I thought were inappropriate moments.
Spoiler:
Denethor and Faramir on the funeral pyre is funny? I'll admit his over the top plummet off the top of the city was funny though
Old 12-17-03, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
I saw it at Trilogy Tuesday and everyone was great. Applause in the right spots, no jerks. Everyone was there because they loved the films. I have no problem with applause. The applause was not so much for the actors in the film to hear (like a play) but to bring the audience together.
Old 12-17-03, 03:27 PM
Retired

Mine was fine. Applause here and there, but that doesn't bother me. Very little talking, no cell phones, no babies.

Only thing that annoyed me was that the box office and cust service didn't open until 9:30 this morning and I needed to exchange a ticket as I was planning on going tomorrow morning but had something come up at work. By the time I exchanged it there was a gigantic line so I had to just wait for the 11 a.m. showing or I'd have been stuck up front.

Still, no big deal. Fantastic movie, good theater experience.
Old 12-17-03, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,926 Likes on 1,184 Posts
I went to Midnight showing and got out about 3:30am They shut the projector near the end of the credits..those of us who stayed were pissed.

Anyway, the crowd was alright but I had smartasses behind me they were just ignorant. They kept making fun of the Hobbits when they cried. But I tried my best to ignore them. I also found myself getting annoyed by folks who made a big deal about the movie having a little bit more to go. They kept saying "oh man" everytime another scene would start. Apparently they didn't see the long run time when they bought their tickets.

I loved the movie!

I had no real complaints and I felt like by the end of the movie I had really had a chance to get to know all the characters on a personal level. I hope the EE will have more of the Ents.
Old 12-17-03, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Pillowhead
Audience was o.k.

Right after
Spoiler:
Frodo leaves to the grey havens and a new scene starts
This teenage girl/idiot screams "End it...please!!!"

Why come to the movie? Why scream out to let everyone know you want it to end? Just get up and leave if it's such a problem. Damn, I'll never understand people's needs to make spectacles of themselves.
Yeah, like I mentioned in my above post several people like this really pissed me off. I had some 20 somethings behind me that were just ignorant low lifes. Well, at least they shut up during the movie for the most part.
Old 12-17-03, 03:50 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Our audience wasn't SO bad. There was some inappropriate laughter at points, and I can't understand why. I'll admit, John Noble is pretty over the top, but it wasn't really funny, per se. There was a lot of clapping. Basically, anytime anybody did anything heroic, which included standing with a sword drawn, they would clap. I personally didn't feel the need, but it didn't drown out the movie, so it didn't bother me.

What I found really weird is that I had seen the extended Fellowship and Two Towers in Hollywood over the past two weeks, and the audiences were so respectful. Once the movie started, they didn't say a word, didn't clap, didn't do anything but breathe and watch until "Directed by Peter Jackson" came up on the screen, and then, thunderous applause. Why can't all audiences be like that? And, if they can't all be like that, why don't I have the power to kill people with my mind?

Last edited by Supermallet; 12-17-03 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-17-03, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ehhhh, don't be so snobby about clapping

Personally, I LIKE clapping when it's appropriate . To me that says "this scene means something" and it also says to me this audience cares about what's happening and or characters.
Old 12-17-03, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
The crowd was pretty good. I was kind of prepared to yell at some kids who weren't in high school for the day. They came in yelling "FRODO FRODO FRODO!!", and being just annoying. But once the movie started, they were quiet. Very nice and surprising.

Towards the end, people were actually leaving before the movie ended though. I mean, sure it seemed like the movie was over 3 times, but you don't leave until you see the entire movie, right?? Sheesh, wait in a long line, probably miss work/school to see the movie, but walk out before it ends?? I don't get it.

I really liked the movie, but for me, FOTR is still the best film version.
Old 12-17-03, 05:21 PM

Experience

I did the Trilogy Tuesday thing.

I had one of the best theater experiences I have ever had in my entire life.

No cell phones.
(as a matter of fact, when one of the theater attendants spoke up about this before the first movies started, he got applauded)

No Pagers.

No morons.

No babies.

No kids asking dumb questions of their accompanying adults.

Nobody making stupid jokes/adding lines out loud.

Dead silence instead of paper wrappers & soda slurping

Everybody was enthusiastic and incredibly courteous.

There were 3- 4 girls next to me that were bawling by the end of ROTK.

Lots of spontaneous clapping...some took off, others died quick. Very high energy level in the audience.

Unbelievable...the way a theater experience should be.

My faith in (parts of) movie-going humanity hath been restored.
Old 12-17-03, 05:44 PM

I had a great experience. Saw it early today. A 6 grader came up and sat right next to me and began talking to me while we were waiting for the trailers to begin. Turns out he's home schooled and a big LoTR fan. He had watched both EEs of the 1st 2 movies and we had a nice chat about scenes that should have been included and scenes that were best omited from the 1st 2 movies.

I had to give a big thumbs up to his parents =)

During the movie it was good. Very few people got up to go to the restroom and no one around me talked, cheered, or clapped (the way I like it).

Awesome movie .. going back in a few weeks to enjoy the experience again by myself in an empty theater.
Old 12-17-03, 05:47 PM

We had only one cell phone ring during the opening credits . the only "annoying" thing I can remember was the woman sitting behind me. She must have memorized the score as she "hummed" EVERY single bar of EVERY piece of music including, the Annie Lennox song at the end credits!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.