Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

How was your theater experience for ROTK?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

How was your theater experience for ROTK?

Old 12-18-03, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 453 Likes on 317 Posts
Re: loud loud loud

Originally posted by mwdkill
Well I went to the largest theater in So cal and it was awesome. There was a costume contest and everything. Some fat guy was wearing nothing but diaper and a passifier and claimed that he was Gollum, not pretty.

If you're talking about Big Newport - the guys that dressed up as Gimli and (the awesome) TreeBeard are friends of mine - and not nearly as freaky as you may think.
Old 12-18-03, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You have the normal idiots who bring infants to the movie, can't turn off their cell phone and always talk to themselves during the movie. But otherwise I had a good experience.

The theater was almost empty so I had good seats. THX sound is always a plus. Good picture quality.
Old 12-18-03, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by jarofclay73
You have the normal idiots who bring infants to the movie, can't turn off their cell phone and always talk to themselves during the movie. But otherwise I had a good experience.
Who would bring an infant to a movie that is around 4 hours including trailers and ads? And don't forget that there is some pretty brutal imagery in the film, too. Hardly appropriate for very young children.
Old 12-18-03, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Audience wise, it was pretty good. People were involved, even clapped in two or three places where it was appropriate. I had a group of small children sitting in front of me and they were well-behaved and acted better than some adults I've attended movies with.

Edit: The audience mostly clapped during the battle for Minas Tirith. (Sorry, my spelling is terrible)
Spoiler:

When Gandalf beat Deneathor (sp?), the audience cheered and clapped.
When Eowyn said "I am no man", the women cheered like crazy.
When Aragorn leaped out of the boat, everyone clapped, and then when the undead army surged forward, they cheered.

I wasn't bothered, cause I had the same reactions during all those moments.

As for the presentation of the film itself, the picture was terrible. One side of the screen was fuzzy the entire time, and the framing was way off - the right side was a good two-three feet of image that was shown on the purple curtains. I even saw the theater manager watch 5 minutes, then walk away and do nothing about it. I left a formal complaint to the head manager later on an e-mail.

Last edited by DGibFen; 12-18-03 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-19-03, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Pillowhead
Right after
Spoiler:
Frodo leaves to the grey havens and a new scene starts
This teenage girl/idiot screams "End it...please!!!"
thats when you respond "shut the **** up.....PLEASE" and bask in the following rounds of applaus.

j
Old 12-19-03, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by PalmerJoss
Who would bring an infant to a movie that is around 4 hours including trailers and ads? And don't forget that there is some pretty brutal imagery in the film, too. Hardly appropriate for very young children.
i saw kids... little ones... with their "parents" at Saving Private Ryan. Some parents are just too stupid to live... unfortunately we cant kill them and we cant stop them from breeding.

j
Old 12-19-03, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I saw it at the Point Cinema in Madison which claims the largest non-Imax screen in the midwest (I like to see all the big movies on that screen). 500 seat theater was full for the noon showing Thursday. Audience was fantastic, with virtually the only sounds being laughter at the appropriate times. No clapping until the end and then one of the biggest rounds of applause I have ever heard for a movie and in which I joined (I almost never clap for a movie).
Old 12-19-03, 12:42 AM

7:00 showing on Wednesday...

Sold out...

Lots of laughing... no clapping... not even once...
Old 12-19-03, 03:26 AM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by mikehunt
there's a curfew in your town?
damn
It's Indiana, what do you expect? Didn't Footloose take place there?

Anyway, my theater experience was VERY GOOD. 7 pm showing on Wednesday. Two girls next to me, about 20 years old, cried and laughed a lot, they were very into it. The crowd was applauded a few times: at the title, Denethor getting smacked, Legolas taking down the mumakil by himself, the ghost army coming off the boat, Eowyn taking down first the beast, then the Witch King, and the Eagles coming to the rescue.

Lots of laughs at the right times too. However, one guy at the back of the theater walked in front of the projector, and his silhouette was projected clearly on the screen. people cracked up bc it was a tense moment - and the guy had really pointy hair.

Lots of crying during the reunion scene, the Grey Havens, Theoden's death, and scenes with Frodo and Sam.

Plus, I loved the role call in the credits.
Old 12-19-03, 03:27 AM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jekbrown
i saw kids... little ones... with their "parents" at Saving Private Ryan. Some parents are just too stupid to live... unfortunately we cant kill them and we cant stop them from breeding.
i saw parents bringt little kids to Blade 2! it stunned me. so very stupid.
Old 12-19-03, 04:48 AM
Banned

It was really great...quiet...very quiet...in fact it was absolute silence besides the movie...I was rather amazed...cept this ******* didnt turn his cell phone off and just let it ring...this is at the end when Frodo's at Mount Doom...I wanted to ring his neck...other than that...twas perfect...
Old 12-19-03, 07:07 AM

My theater was full of jackasses. We had two people bring in babies that couldn't be older than a year. And of course, the guy who comes in late and sits at the end of my row was constantly checking his cell phone for the time ... when he wasn't answering his calls. Oh, and let's not forget the 6 year olds running up and down the aisles playing tag.
Old 12-20-03, 07:19 PM
Banned

I had a GREAT experience that was only ruined by the "new" employee at the Waterfront Loews Theatre in Pittsburgh. I showed up for the Saturday Noon show at 11:15 and there was a massive line to buy tickets. Luckily for me, the meatheads in this region are too computer illiterate to know about Fandango, so there was not one single person at any of the 6 or so kiosks that process online orders. I printed out my ticket in 10 seconds and went to the auditorium, much to the dismay of the HUGE line of people waiting at the Box Office.

The main "good" seats were almost all taken by the time I got in. The auditorium we were in was the largest in the building, and it had the main aisle between the upper and lower seats, and there are eight seats, a 2 x 2 in the middle, and 2 seats on each end just inside the steps leading up. I grabbed the inside seat on the right side facing the screen. GREAT LOCATION!! There is nothing in front of you for like 7 feet, because it is the aisle, and no one really used it the whole time!! Anyway, the theatre wasn't packed, so no one sat in the only seat next to me, and I was ~7-10 feet from the nearest person.

No excessive laughing or celebrating from where I was sitting, no phones, no babies. Temperature was good, everything was clean, picture was fantastic, and the sound was superb.

Now we come to the problem, the "new" employee. For about the last 45 minutes of the movie, this guy was continually going in a door at the front of the auditorium that leads behind the screen. There he proceeded to turn the light on in the "behind the screen" room. The lights were to the sides, almost to the edge of the screen. The middle of the image was not affected too badly, but the left and right thirds of the screen were completely washed out. I wasn't timing it, but it had to happened for 1-2 minutes at a time. The worst part was, with the lights on back there, you could clearly see the silhouette of the scaffolding and the speakers behind the screen. VERY distracting. I coudln't hear any grumbling about it from where I was, and I couldn't believe someone wasn't doing something about it. This happened three times total, and it looked like the employee was just coming out with cleaning supplies each time.

I stayed for the credits, and asked one of the guys cleaning the aisles what it was all about and he said he had no idea, but to talk to the manager about it. So I went and talked to the manager and he said the guy was new and had no idea the light would wash out the screen. He said they already yelled at him and everything. Well, I explained to him that I was going to have to see the movie again now to see what I missed while being distraced, not to mention, what we missed on screen. He said he was sorry and gave me two coupons for a free large Coke. It was "all" he could do.

I will see this again elsewhere, and let the management know that expect more than a free Coke if they want to see me in their theatre again.
Old 12-20-03, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Mine was fairly decent... went to a 10 am showing wednesday morning. The only problem was that the row behind me and mrs was filled with kids who kept having to go to the bathroom, and kept bumping the backs of our seats when they walked by
Old 12-20-03, 09:42 PM
Suspended

I saw it again the other night. I guess it was more a "mainstream" crowd now. A lot of people left after the coronation. A lot of folks that stayed groaned after the boat sailed away and it faded and then suddenly Sam is walking up to his house. A lot more laughing, mostly at gimli and even at Sam crying when Frodo told him to go home, the "lookit the little baby hobbit crying" kinda laugh.
Old 12-20-03, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
I went to the morning showing on Friday and there was a crying baby in the audience. Same thing happened to me last year during the Two Towers.
Old 12-20-03, 11:41 PM

We went tonight at the 700 show. It was very crowded and a couple came in and asked if the two seats next to us were available. They sit and act pretty normally. Until Gollum comes on the screen, when the husband/complete ass started saying :"My precioussss" in this horrible Gollum-voice. Over and over EVERY time Gollum appeared. I wanted to kill him!!! They also brought their own food and were munching on different fruits, FRUIT!! My husband and me thought the movie was AMAZING! I was soooo happy about the ending.
Old 12-22-03, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We had 3 very immature 16 or 17 year old guys sitting behind us.

We were let in to the theater at 6:45. The previews started at
7:15 and the movie started at 7:30.

From 6:45 to 7:30 they didn't shut up. Talking loud, laughging like little girls and making fun of every trailer/commercial on the screen.

As soon as the movie started at 7:30 I turned around and told them to shut up ! The one with the biggest mouth said "I'm sorry", pee'd in his pants and all of them were quite the rest of the movie.

Last edited by Struz; 12-22-03 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-22-03, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
halffway through my wife complained that I forgot to buy soap.
Old 12-22-03, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And old man snoring behind me. Two Brits behind me who kept talking and who were audibly sighing each time the movie didn't end (when you thought it would), and two guys a couple rows down who were yelling at the screen (stuff like: "you go, Sam", etc.)

In addition, the sound didn't sound that great and the screen was too small. Blah.
Old 12-22-03, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jason
The most amazing thing of all was a couple who brought in a 4 year old boy. Sat in the row in front of us, off to the side. Expecting the worst, we ended up getting the best. He watched the whole thing, never made a peep, and judging from what he was saying to his dad as they were leaving, wanted even more! My kind of kid!
Old 12-22-03, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Comprehensive

Saturday, Dec. 20th. Loews New Brunswick, NJ - where the old Rt. 1 flea market used to be that Kevin Smith talks about for Mallrats. Theatre 17, best room with maximum capacity at 681, stadium seating, SDDS sound and an amazing, huge picture. 85-90% full at the 4:40pm showing. Original 3:30 showing sold out while waiting on long, long line with only one cashier! I didn't even see the people waiting for the movie until we went over by the arcades. They allowed us in at 4 or 4:15.

Crowd was okay, talking quietly to themselves, save for one guy who prior to the previews shouted, "Yo, where you at!?" a few times. Quite scary, but nothing was ever said thereafter, thank God. Eight goddamn previews, and the film finally started rolling at 4:55 as predicted.

AWESOME experience. Audience was highly reserved, save for the appropriate laughter. It was I who laughed at Gimli's lines a bit too much. The last hour was amazing, as was the ending, concluding the best experience I've had at the theaters in five years. However, the idiot right next to me had to eat his goddamn popcorn during the ending. DURING THE ENDING!! I mean, even if it fell somewhere between his laps, he had to find it, then toss it in his mouth loudly and chew. Why couldn't he just have waited? I mean, it's just ****ing popcorn! GRRRRRRR..... Finally I let out a little shhhsh. That's it. No one else said anything (that I could hear).

And, for the first time at a commercial screening, as stated in a previous post, there was applause at the end!! Everyone clapped, not just me, which would sometimes be the case if the film deserved it.

(Theaters to avoid around me: Amboy Multiplex, Regal Cinema in North Brunswick, Menlo Park Cinemas, and Movie City Five due to terrible sound, seating and/or terrible crowds.)

(Yes, the grave featured in Weird NJ is in this parking lot.)

Last edited by scroll2b; 12-22-03 at 11:58 PM.