Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

How was your theater experience for ROTK?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

How was your theater experience for ROTK?

Old 12-17-03, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by buckee1
We had only one cell phone ring during the opening credits . the only "annoying" thing I can remember was the woman sitting behind me. She must have memorized the score as she "hummed" EVERY single bar of EVERY piece of music including, the Annie Lennox song at the end credits!
Ok, I think that beats my fist-pump lady. Did you ask her at any point to stop?
Old 12-17-03, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my experience was great
quiet until the end appeared, then everyone applauded
Old 12-17-03, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Kal Jedi
Ok, I think that beats my fist-pump lady. Did you ask her at any point to stop?
when she started doing it it really wasn't that bad. I figured I could ignore it and yes, 3 hours and 30 minutes is a heck of a lot of humming!

I decided to try and focus on the film rather than tell her to shut it! I did and now I can whine on the forum about my lack of action.
Old 12-17-03, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
A lot more clapping and cheering compared to TTT midnight showing. The crowd wasn't as nerdy and fun as the Star Wars II midnight showing though.
Old 12-17-03, 09:29 PM
Suspended

The theater I go to usually has a lot of "kids" that love to make noise and stuff during movies, the theater had quite a few of them this time I and I was dreading it when I first sat down, but surprisingly everyone there was totally quiet, except for laughing at the "fat hobbit" parts and stuff, a few cheers in the battle scenes and a lot of applause at the end I didn't clap at the end though, as soon as the credits came up I ran outta there cuz I had to pee so bad
Old 12-17-03, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My experience was great!

I saw the movie at Century 16 Greenback Lane in northeastern Sacramento, CA.

Besides the fact that the film was aboslutely SUPERB, this theater had extremely comfortable seating (deeply padded chairs that rock!) and of course THX-certified sound system. The audience was very good, cheering at all the right spots and definitely giving a loud cheer at the end of the film. Too bad the picture was just a touch out of focus.
Old 12-17-03, 11:15 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Uptown Theatre (Washington DC), 10am screening (Dec. 17th):

the audience was very attentive and clapped at all the appropriate moments. Perfect.
Old 12-18-03, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A crowd of high schoolers and college kids (very few of which I would classify as 'geeks' by exterior appearance...my how the fanbase has grown) in suburban bumblepoop, OH were nearly dead-silent, cheering at a few select moments, and sniffling and sobbing towards the end.

Yes people, these movies have gone huge...they are loved by the masses.

What a special experience--I can't wait to see it again, many times.
Old 12-18-03, 12:43 AM

A very well behaved crowd at AMC Burbank 16 at 7:00 PM tonight (just got out). I could feel tinseltown in the air and it was my absolute honor to be among them.
Old 12-18-03, 04:32 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Saw it for the second time, 7:15 at the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood (where I saw the two extended versions over the past week and a half). This time, the audience was much better. They only laughed inappropriately once, and it was when
Spoiler:
Eowyn is talking to Theoden before he dies
Which is still inexplicable to me. They clapped when the titles came up, when Sam faces off with Shelob, and when
Spoiler:
Legolas takes down the Oliphant
A cell phone went off right at a very bad moment, causing general grumbling.

Now for the annoying part. I didn't have any ladies pumping fists or humming the score (I definitely would have asked her to stop), but I did have an overactive fan in the row in front of me. For starters, anytime Legolas appeared on the screen, she would clap very quickly, four to six times. It was so quick I didn't bother to ask her to stop. That alone I could have taken. But then, anytime something scary (specifically Shelob) or unexpected
Spoiler:
Arwen appearing at Aragorn's coronation
would happen, she would gasp like she had just seen her long-dead great grandmother copulating with a goat. And then, to further up the ante, anytime anybody did something exceptionally daring, she would throw her hands up towards the screen, as if to grab them or save them or something. Luckily, she was not directly in front of me, so I could often keep her out of sight, but every so often I would peek over, and there she was, hands in the air. The few times I caught glimpses of her when she wasn't doing that stuff, she had her hands to her mouth as if trying to suppress even worse interjections. Nothing terrible, and only slightly annoying, but also slightly amusing (which may be why I didn't tell her to stop, specifically the clapping).
Old 12-18-03, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The loudest claps of the night went to The end.

Second Spiderman 2 trailer

Third Harry Potter trailer
Old 12-18-03, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Was it a full moon or something? I was in a FULL theater and I didn't hear ONE baby crying, ONE cel phone going off, nor one person even whispering! You could've heard a pin drop during the many silent moments! This was the 7pm showing too.

I don't know how early they let people in at the other theaters, but they let everyone in over an hour early for ROTK and everyone must've gotten all their chatter out during that time before the movie. By the time it started, I think everyone was too tired to talk anymore.

Hands down, it was the most amazing theater experience I've EVER had. I was blown away by how well behaved everyone was and it almost kind of gave me more faith in human nature and the especially the movie-going public.

After seeing the Hulk where there were THREE babies crying, KIDS on cel phones, and non-stop chatter throughout the whole filem, I had vowed never to see movies in a theater again (except for ROTK and SW Ep III), but this experience may make me change my mind!
Old 12-18-03, 11:51 AM

experience was good, got good seats(2 hours in line) and despite the fact that the movie didn't start till 11:30pm it turned out well. there was a little chatter and jokes during some of the scenes but at about 2:00am it was all we could do to keep sane. only got about 3 hours of sleep last night because of this movie but it was well worth it
Old 12-18-03, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My experience was generally okay. I went to a midnight show, and a theater worker came in to tell us that if anyone talked or if a cell phone rang, they were getting kicked out. It must have worked, because the audience was extremely quiet.

The only two things that were annoying were people laughing at inappropriate times (The Gollum/Smeagol conversation at the water's edge must have some comedic value that went over my head), and one guy that sat two seats over that talked on his cell phone almost the entire time. Why go to the movie, then?
Old 12-18-03, 12:29 PM
Cool New Member

The start of the movie was not very enjoyable for me. Apparently the local high school had just gotten out and everyone went to the show. I had a couple next to me that kept talking for the first 10 minutes of the movie, it was very distracting and I was at the point where some words were about to be said. The great thing about it though is they both sucked into the movie at this point, and didn't say a word for the remainder of the film.

After that I couldn't have been happier with the showing, a few rounds of applause and laughter but only at appropriate spots.
Old 12-18-03, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by TracerBullet
one guy that sat two seats over that talked on his cell phone almost the entire time. Why go to the movie, then?
Maybe he was doing a blow-by-blow account of the movie to someone else?
Old 12-18-03, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
horrible, not due to the audience, which stayed quiet and didn't talk over the movie but due to this
saw it at an imax, wasn't much larger than a normal screen since they used a regular 35mm version, so it was like watching widescreen on a 4:3 tv
the theater sucked ass. they used a normal projector which doesn't get much use on that screen and the focus wasn't quite right, it had dust on the lens, the window in the projection room had finger prints all over it, and they stopped the movie at one point due to lines in the picture and to clean the window. and when they restarted it a few minutes of the movie had gone by and it still had lines
at least they gave use free passes.
Old 12-18-03, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Kal Jedi
Maybe he was doing a blow-by-blow account of the movie to someone else?
That makes sense, and it doesn't.

You're probably right, though.

I should have had him kicked out. I would have if he had been sitting right next to me.
Old 12-18-03, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
there's a curfew in your town?
damn

Originally posted by silentbob007
Its funny ... in my town, they announced at all of the schools that cops would be waiting at the theater to arrest any student out after curfew without their parents actually with them, not just dropping them off.

Last edited by mikehunt; 12-18-03 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-18-03, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

there were a few claps at the very end during the credits but that was it. I have yo give a to the audience, especially considering how the theater screwed things up
in general, what's up with clapping at movies these days? it didn't used to be that way
audience noise is why I usually go to matinees in the middle of the week a week or two after a movie comes out
Old 12-18-03, 12:55 PM

yep we have a curfew of 1:00 for anyone under 17, even if you are in a car(unless of course you are with your parents)

and the only claps we had where at the very end durning the credits and when Gandalf knocked the crap out of Denethor for sounding a retreat
Old 12-18-03, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts
My friend is off tuesday and wednesday nights, and we wanted to see the movie together, so off we went to the big megaplex stadium theater, only to find out all showing except for 11:445 were sold out. That never happens around here!

So drove down the highway sort of aimlessly, looking for another theater, or just something cool to do in general. Found a small independent theater in a shopping center that was playing ROTK on 1 of its 4 screens. Walked into the theater and from the back, the screen looked smaller than my television! Eek. Fortunately, the place was almost empty when we got there, so sitting about 1/3 of the way back gave us a decent experience.

The crowd was quiet. No phones, no talking, nobody getting in our way going in and out. Even though the theater wasn't nearly as nice as the big stadium theater, I doubt the crowd was as easy to deal with. The only laughing was at the appropriate time, when Gimli said
Spoiler:
That still only counts as one!

The most amazing thing of all was a couple who brought in a 4 year old boy. Sat in the row in front of us, off to the side. Expecting the worst, we ended up getting the best. He watched the whole thing, never made a peep, and judging from what he was saying to his dad as they were leaving, wanted even more! My kind of kid!
Old 12-18-03, 01:13 PM

loud loud loud

Well I went to the largest theater in So cal and it was awesome. There was a costume contest and everything. Some fat guy was wearing nothing but diaper and a passifier and claimed that he was Gollum, not pretty.

All the girls kept on clapping and wheewing every single freaking time Legolas came on screen...i wanted to ask them why they werent cheering like that when he fell out of the helicopter in Blackhawk Down.

Over all way too much cheering ...im not into it
Old 12-18-03, 01:31 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

Midnight Wednesday morning showing in La Jolla, I think the theater opened half of the screens up to show RotK. College-age crowd with some older middle-age folks thrown in for good measure. I was expecting more noise, but overall very quiet. Some general clapping and laughing at the appropriate moments as well.

Line that got the most laughs in our theather:
Spoiler:
Right after Aragorn outlines their plan to march straight over to the gates of Mordor to give Frodo more time to toss the ring, Legolas exclaims, "A diversion!!".
I think half the theater, including myself, fell out of their chairs. No sh*t sherlock! You think?!?
Old 12-18-03, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by BT
Midnight Wednesday morning showing in La Jolla, I think the theater opened half of the screens up to show RotK. College-age crowd with some older middle-age folks thrown in for good measure. I was expecting more noise, but overall very quiet. Some general clapping and laughing at the appropriate moments as well.

Line that got the most laughs in our theather:
Spoiler:
Right after Aragorn outlines their plan to march straight over to the gates of Mordor to give Frodo more time to toss the ring, Legolas exclaims, "A diversion!!".
I think half the theater, including myself, fell out of their chairs. No sh*t sherlock! You think?!?
jajaja yep same here
Aragorn said something with the same word too, like "we have to diverse the eye of sauron". Legolas goes "a diversion!" haha he says it so serious that its funny

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.