DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Who has already SEEN ROTK? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/335713-who-has-already-seen-rotk.html)

Seeker 12-14-03 08:59 PM

Who has already SEEN ROTK?

Sure, Wednesday, this will be moot, but who here has had the privelege of seeing the movie already?

(not me.... sigh)

DonnachaOne 12-15-03 01:31 AM

My friend Justin (whynotsmile).

Giles 12-15-03 10:54 AM

It's kind of surprising that here in DC where there have been two pre-release screenings, that I have only heard from one friend who saw last Monday's screening (she loved it by the way).

bjhess 12-15-03 03:32 PM

I saw LOTR:ROTK in a preview benefiting Carleton College. The preview was in Minneapolis. Apparently a Carleton graduate was a producer of the films. They showed the movie three times to a total of about 1100 people.

I saw it last Thursday.

Good Times!

beau 12-16-03 12:20 AM

I could of watched it today (tuesday) but I didn't want to stay up until 4am then work all day tomorrow preparing for the opening.

FiveO 12-16-03 07:04 AM

Originally posted by bjhess
I saw LOTR:ROTK in a preview benefiting Carleton College. The preview was in Minneapolis. Apparently a Carleton graduate was a producer of the films. They showed the movie three times to a total of about 1100 people.

I saw it last Thursday.

Good Times!

Dang...only 15 miles from you and you didn't let me know :(

;)

:) Glad you had fun! Can't wait til thursday myself. Grad school tests and research due tomorrow.

Seeker 12-16-03 11:37 AM

Ok - I'm holding my 2pm Wednesday tickets, still jealous of anyone who has already seen it.

scott shelton 12-16-03 12:19 PM

I've seen it.

Kal-El 12-16-03 01:29 PM

Midnight showing baby! (well, 12:05 actually)

Smangalick 12-16-03 04:23 PM

12:20 showing!!!

not bad, considering I just bought my ticket about an hour ago

huh? 12-16-03 04:31 PM

My brother just called me from Santa Cruz California. He has been in line since 10:45 AM for the midnight showing. He is 10th in line, and someone just passed out Lambis Bread....

I'm not making this up.

Seeker 12-16-03 04:35 PM

Lembas, but cool story.

Dah-Dee 12-16-03 10:21 PM

Anybody going to a midnight showing tonight? I'm tempted but am not sure I'd make it through the rest of the week alive on the pitiful 2 hours of sleep that would (might, perhaps more accurately, if the movie is as stunning as the reviews are indicating!) follow. I'm not even sure I'd be able to get tickets at this point. Anybody definitely in?

ChefWinduAZ 12-16-03 11:58 PM

I have tickets for the 10:30am showing tomorrow. I just didn't think I would be able to function if I saw the midnight showing.

Ted The Bug 12-17-03 01:41 AM

I've seen it. The book was better.

IIG 12-17-03 04:42 AM

I just came back from the 12:15 showing (I honestly went into the theater only to pee, and saw the door of LOTR: ROTK open and quickly found a seat!-- shhhh!). I'm not the biggest LOTR fan, but I must admit that this was the best of the three. The special effects were excellent, and every actress and actor did their job perfectly. I probably wouldn't take out another 3 and a 1/2 hours out of my day to watch it, but I'd certainly say that it was a must-see.

vdadlani219 12-17-03 05:46 AM

Just got home from a 12:06 showing, and it was, for me, the "worst" of the 3. I never really think of sequels better than the first anyways, but Two Towers pretty much equaled Fellowship for me.

Return of the King was an okay movie, and I enjoyed the other 2 a lot more. If neither of the others won a Best Picture, in my mind, this one should not.

dgc 12-17-03 08:30 AM

Saw it last night (I mean this morning) and I'm dragging my ass at work today. Definitely worth the sleep deprevation.

eogen 12-17-03 09:52 AM

IMHO: Too Artsy

For me it's hard to believe that they made these 3 movies simultaneously. RotK has such a different look to it than the others. Having long stretches of just image and music was not what I was expecting. I went home very disappointed.

Geminix 12-17-03 10:19 AM

I went to the Trilogy Tuesday event. I think the best thing I can say about it is this: even after being in the theater for basically 11 hours leading up to ROTK (including 2 hrs before marathon began), and then another 3hr20m for ROTK, my friend and I both agreed that this movie FLEW by, it was so exciting. We both left wanting more! This is by far my favorite of the three..the battles are even more incredible, of course it is very emotional, and it managed to wrap up most things nicely. I simply cannot wait to see what else he will put back in for the extended edition.

Note that I am not a Tolkien geek..I read the books many moons ago, but don't remember a lot of the details, so I have the blessing of not having to bitch and moan because of something they may have not included in the movie :D I am just basing my opinion on being an avid movie fan, nothing more..

Joe Bob says check it out! ;)

Geminix 12-17-03 10:22 AM

Eogen - I'm sure any perceived difference of 'look' was probably due to the fact that they had a different editor on each film..

B.A. 12-17-03 10:59 AM

Originally posted by vdadlani219
Just got home from a 12:06 showing, and it was, for me, the "worst" of the 3. I never really think of sequels better than the first anyways, but Two Towers pretty much equaled Fellowship for me.

Return of the King was an okay movie, and I enjoyed the other 2 a lot more. If neither of the others won a Best Picture, in my mind, this one should not.

I saw it at 11 pm last night and that is how I feel about it, too. It was good, but mediocre in comparison to the first two.

On three hours sleep, my ass is dragging at work. :D

I'll try to catch it again over the holidays - hopefully I will enjoy it more and I pray I have a less annoying crowd than I had last night.

Miyazaki 12-17-03 02:49 PM

NOt that it matters anymore, since it is not the 17th. But I saw it about two weeks ago at Butt-Numb-A-Thon 5. Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, and Phillipa Boyens were there as well. Good times, good times.

Ephemeral_Life 12-17-03 02:56 PM

There be spoilers ahead...

Great movie. I didn't miss Saruman at all, but I don't recall them saying anything about what happened to Faramir, Legolas and Gimli in the end, which I think would have added to the ending sequence. I also missed the Houses of Healing.
The Battles weren't as intense as Helms Deep (not that they were bad by any means), but the Frodo/Sam story was excellently told.

As for Arwen, I generally like how they expanded her role in all three films, but linking her survival to the ring's destruction struck me as a very odd storytelling device.

In all I really enjoyed the film; probably my favorite of the three.