Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why do people bash/hate Kevin Costner?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Why do people bash/hate Kevin Costner?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-03, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I liked the Postman.
Old 12-13-03, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I liked 3000 Miles to Graceland

Wombat, Wombat
greasy, greasy
We will beat 'em
easy, easy

~ K. Costner
Old 12-13-03, 01:18 PM
Suspended

I don't have any problems with Costner. While he's not my favorite, he's still good in whatever I've seen him in. I liked the Postman, 3000 Miles to Graceland (but I consider that a Kurt Russel film, not a costner film), Robin Hood, Dragonfly wasn't too bad either, I liked that one with clint eastwood where he kidnaps the kid. He seems to play a good bad guy. Never saw dances with wolves though...
Old 12-13-03, 01:36 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
It's because of the way he CENSORED his career by picking so many crappy scripts along the way.
I just realized that this thread was actually started by Corleone316. Oops.
Old 12-13-03, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

He's the same plain acting Costner. Kinda lie Afflek. That white boy, quiet kinda ego. i dont know what i'm sayin.
Old 12-13-03, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Field of Dreams and Bodyguard. Says it all.
Old 12-13-03, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Tom Campbell
But Kevin Costner as Robin Hood was not, unfortunately. However, it did provide us with the best line from "Robin Hood: Men in Tights": "Unlike some other Robin Hoods, I can speak with a British accent."
I love Cary Elwes.

I like him in No Way Out and Bull Durham. And I agree about him always being the super star with 75% of the screen time. He's good in movies where he actually shares the screen.

EDIT: I did like him in JFK too, despite him being the superstar.

Last edited by suziq999; 12-13-03 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-13-03, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts
Bull Durham was probably the best baseball film, and easily one of the very best sports films, ever made. While Costner could be replaced in most of his films with any number of other actors, he could not have been replaced so easily in BD. He is a big reason why this film is so wonderful.
Old 12-13-03, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i can't say why other people hate him, but i don't like him becasue of the overbearing sense of maudlin pomposity he projects.
The EPP syndrome (Epic Pondering Pose).
having read the book The Postman years before they made the movie, he was the LAST person i wanted to see cast in the role.
he made it into another "sainted hero" riding in slow motion to the camera as the music swells and tears role down the extras faces- when the character in the book was more like a fool out of his element, getting by on his wits.
it called for a person who could get by on personality (of which KC projects a dish-water dull one) and a goofy, disarming charm.

and i can't believe anyone actually has a high opinion of his Robin Hood.
i'm guessing that is shared by people who saw the film at an early age, without the benefit of better swashbuckling adventures as a frame of reference, and still hold the film dear due to childhood nostalgia.
from Costners tool-like performance to the woefully out of place cornball Bryan Adams song, to the cliched humour-the film is just dreary, unpleasant, and lame.

just an opinion, of course

Last edited by ckolchak; 12-14-03 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-13-03, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by ckolchak
and i can't believe anyone actually has a high opinion of his Robin Hood.
i'm guessing that is shared by people who saw the film at an early age, without the benefit of better swashbuckling adventures as a frame of reference, and still hold the film dear due to childhood nostalgia.
from Costners tool-like performance to the woefully out of place cornball Bryan Adams song, to the cliched humour-the film is just dreary, unpleasant, and lame.
Nope . . . I was plenty old went it came out and I like it. It wasn't KC's performance, it was a combination of a good story, marvelous performances by many other actors (Morgan Freeman, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, Christian Slater, Alan Rickman, Michael Wincott . . .), and one of the first decent movies based in the Medieval time period in a looooooong time . . .
Old 12-13-03, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Halle Berry hating?

I'm assuming because of her lousy performance in
Monster's Ball?
Old 12-14-03, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I don't know about everyone else, I just got tired of him. I think when I got tired of him was during the Dances With Wolves hype-I liked it when I saw it, but after a bit I got tired of it, and at the same time tired of him.

After I got tired of him, even the movies I used to like him in, I found him annoying in (I still like Bull Durham, but I find him a bit annoying in it).
Old 12-14-03, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i like him...

but i don't like half of what he made...

Robin Hood, Untouchables, JFK, dances with wolves, Waterworld, the bodyguard are good in my book
the rest... eh
Old 12-14-03, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
whoa, am i the only one who really liked 13 days? my only problem with it was costners really fake boston accent.
Old 12-14-03, 10:41 PM

I hate him cause he cut me off in traffic... what a ****er...
Old 12-14-03, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Rypro 525
whoa, am i the only one who really liked 13 days? my only problem with it was costners really fake boston accent.
I also really liked Thirteen Days. I thought it was one of the best docudramas made. Costner's accent was terrible. But, after awhile it didn't really bother me. He did produce the film. A overlooked gem.
Old 12-15-03, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't hate him, in fact I think
No Way Out
Bull Durham
Field of Dreams
Tin Cup
13 Days

are great movies.
I think

Dances with Wolves
JFK

are OK but overrated

The problem with Costner was that he was a mega-star and he used his megastar abilities to create 2 of the most egotistical self-centered movies out there

Waterworld
Postman

Both of which stunk. It didn't help that both of these movies are post-apocalyptic rip offs of Mad Max..they were just brainless, long stupid movies

One neat little movie that Costner was great in - AMERICAN FLYERS..gets overlooked all the time. You can find it cheap in the bargain bin at most DVD stores...check it out.
Old 12-15-03, 02:48 PM

There's another overlooked film in which Costner is actually pretty good....it's called FANDANGO, directed by Kevin Reynolds (Robin Hood, Waterworld, Count of Monte Cristo).

I think I grew tired of Costner mainly b/c of his script choices, as many posters have already mentioned.

When he picks a strong story, it usually carries the film (and not his acting). His one-dimensional delivery is suited towards only specific characters, and if he's out of his element, it shows.

I think his reputation of the big ego did him in a bit. I heard that he eventually locked Kevin Reynolds of the editing room for both Robin Hood and Waterworld (which created their big rift for a while). Then Costner threw out Mick Jackson (The Bodyguard) from the editing room as well. Costner may possibly be a control freak.

He should change agents, choose better projects, surround himself with a good cast and director, and I think go for more of the independent movie route vs. the overblown Hollywood production just to re-invent himself.
Old 12-15-03, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

While we're on the subject, does anyone know if the extended version of Waterworld shown on the SciFi channel will b released to DVD?
Old 12-15-03, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ummm, maybe because he has the charisma of a 3 toed sloth?
Old 12-16-03, 11:15 AM

Here's a run down of Costner Films (ignoring some of his smaller roles) and my opinion of each:

SILVERADO = B+

AMERCIAN FLYERS = B+

THE UNTOUCHABLES = A+

NO WAY OUT = B+

BULL DURHAM = B+

FIELD OF DREAMS = A+

REVENGE = C+

DANCES WITH WOLVES = A-

ROBIN HOOD = B-

JFK = A-

THE BODYGUARD = B-

A PERFECT WORLD = A+

WYATT EARP = B-

THE WAR = C-

WATERWORLD = D+

TIN CUP = C+

THE POSTMAN = B-

FOR LOVE OF THE GAME = B-

THIRTEEN DAYS = A-

3000 MILES TO GRACELAND = D+

DRAGONFLY = C-

OPEN RANGE = B+

So, IMHO, a couple of duds but overall a fine, fine track record - regardless of box office receipts. Harrison Ford would kill to have been in this many good movies, considering he hasn't made a good film since AIR FORCE ONE.
Old 12-16-03, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

funny you mention Harrison Ford.
i just heard they are looking at Costner to play Indiana Jones brother in Indy 4.

take it with a grain of salt, but thats what i heard.
Old 12-16-03, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by ckolchak
funny you mention Harrison Ford.
i just heard they are looking at Costner to play Indiana Jones brother in Indy 4.

take it with a grain of salt, but thats what i heard.
Wow . . . I could actually see that working . . . that's a little scary . . .
Old 12-16-03, 03:13 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
I liked Costner in Silverado, 'cause he played himself there too.

All of the other flicks... nasty. I don't even own a single Costner DVD.
Old 12-16-03, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

13 Days.

Nuff said.

Gah.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.