Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Review out on Return of the King and it's GREAT!!

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-12-03, 02:05 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the review:

By Angela Baldassarre

"The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (5 out of 5 stars)
Directed by Peter Jackson

Glorious, rapturous and striking, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King ends Peter Jackson's magnificent trilogy with exceptional performances, staggering battle scenes and masterful imagery. Three and a half hours of action, conflict, and emotional involvement, and the viewer is left still wanting more.

Lovers of J.R.R. Tolkien's novels will be familiar with the story, but for those who aren't, our brave hobbits Frodo (Elijah Wood) and Sam (Sean Astin) make their way to Mount Doom in the company of a conniving Gollum (Andy Serkis). Meanwhile Gandalf (Ian McKellen) and Pippin (Billy Boyd) travel to the capital of Gondor to help fight the oncoming Orcs, but soon find themselves overwhelmed. After they manage to signal for help, soldiers from Rohan alongside Legolas (Orlando Bloom), Aragorn (Viggo Mortensen) and Gimli (John Ryhs-Davies) go the rescue. And then there's the lovelorn tale of Arwen (Liv Tyler), and of Gondor's crazy steward (John Noble). We're already familiar with the merits of Mortensen, Bloom and McKellen from the first two films. Return of the King, however, now pays tribute to Wood and Astin's brave performances where their characters are flushed out more dramatically.

Hats off to Jackson for never letting the momentum falter, and for making certain that all three films work on the same level of proportion and structure. This is a rare instance when a film merits the hype surrounding it. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King deserves multiple screenings."

Well.. it seems that this movie will definitely top any movie which came out this year. I'm more geared to seeing it now then ever before!
Old 12-12-03, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Good, I was wondering why no one was talking about this movie. I would've thought they would have started I don't know, a forum just for these movies.
Old 12-12-03, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...what do you mean, "no one was talking about this movie"...?...

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 12-12-03 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-12-03, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This just in, the sun is bright.
Old 12-12-03, 02:35 PM

I caught an early screening last Tuesday, and agree that it's fantastic. It's not necessarily any more skillfully made -- or even "better" -- than the previous two, but given the nature of the story, it's natural that this would be the most entertaining of the lot.