Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Starring Academy Award winner/nominee (insert famous actor/actress)" - and.. so what?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Starring Academy Award winner/nominee (insert famous actor/actress)" - and.. so what?

Old 12-11-03, 02:22 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Trailers now a days really tout a major star/director by what they have been awarded or nominated for, do you as a filmgoer really care? I for one reason have found it to be really arrogant and frankly desperate for the filmmakers in this type of marketing. What do you think?
Old 12-11-03, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those stars being attached to the project pretty much sold the project and made it possible for the film to get made in most cases. you attach a big name star to your script and you can see a lot more cash being thrown at you. In this case it might not work for most of us, but it does work to some and it does bring in a few more who might have been on the fence.

Hell, the tag line "starring Johnny deep" always is a clear sell that I will be seeing the film no matter how bad it might have looked or sounded.

Just another marketing tool that works on some and not all.
Old 12-11-03, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hate it even more when they compare upcoming movies to other movies.

"It's this year's _______" or "There hasn't been a movie like this since ______" or "It's more fun than _____", etc, etc, etc.....

gah
Old 12-11-03, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Ooooh. I'll back you up on that one Iron chef. I hate the compare apples to oranges method.
Old 12-11-03, 02:39 PM

The most glaring of the more recent movies that does this is "The Missing". They over-credit Cate Blanchett, Tommy Lee Jones and director Ron Howard, and for some reason it all felt hollow, the accolades gave me no desire to see this film.
Old 12-11-03, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

While I'm not perturbed, the use of the Academy AwardŽ tag is horribly transparent. It's like adding Esquire to your name, boastful and meaningful to some, but ultimately pointless, like an affectation.*

*An affectation that demands stringent copyright adherence. You better watch out Giles, you may get sued.

In fact, does anyone know if a licensing fee needs to be paid to use Academy Award and Oscar trademarks?
Old 12-11-03, 03:20 PM

oh should I go back and add a trademark symbol then...

Old 12-11-03, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's simply a marketing ploy. Take for example, I think Johnny Depp is the greatest and I will see anything with him in it - no matter how little interest I have in the film itself.

The formula is simple.

Actor or Actress is hot at the moment, with an award of a recent hit.

New movie is greenlighted, because actor or actress agree's to do it.

Movie studio decides that the best way to market the film is with the actor or actress's name infront of the movie.

Take for example: The new movie "Troy" - what does the trailer show? Not a lot. It however does give you three big names in the industry, so that people will want to watch it....

"Brad Pitt"

"Orlando Bloom"

"Eric Bana"

Those three names (the last being questionable) are going to draw a crowd on opening weekend and that's all the studio's want.
Old 12-11-03, 04:36 PM
Banned

How else should a trailer be made? I like knowing ahead of time that there's probably gonna be decent acting in the movie because so and so is in it. Now when they say Academy Award winners Matt Damon or Ben Affleck then that gets me peeved.
Old 12-11-03, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
"In a world..."
Old 12-11-03, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's just standard marketing practice. It doesn't bother me because it's not the movie that's doing it. It's advertising and that's what you do. Now, if the opening credits were to say "Academy Award Winner Halle Berry!!!" I'd be a bit peeved.
Old 12-11-03, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
"In a world..."

"What if your life..."
Old 12-11-03, 05:26 PM

"from Academy Award winner Whoopi Goldberg..."
Old 12-11-03, 05:33 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I usually equate touting how many Academy Award winners there are in a movie that it will suck.

Not always the case, but come on, just because you have x number of AA nominees or winners, doesn't mean this will be the greatest movie ever made.
Old 12-11-03, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think this is the worst

From the studio??!?!

From the studio that brought you Citizen Kane, comes...................................BATTLEFIELD EARTH!!!
Old 12-11-03, 11:01 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For some reason my friend and I thought the trailer for the "Les Miserables" movie (1998) was just hilarious.

At a point in it they begin naming the stars...

"Academy Award nominee Liam Neeson as...

Academy Award winner Geoffrey Rush as ...

Academy Award nominee Uma Thurman as ...

and Claire Danes as..."

It was just hilarious to us that they hype up these actors, then get to "and Claire Danes....". Heck, at least say "Golden Glove winner Claire Danes" (for My So Called Life, but oh well) or even "Emmy nominee Claire Danes". Something to bring balance to the world. To this day whenever we see a trailer with a crapload of Oscar nominees/winners one of us will always add "and Claire Danes". (I about peed myself when I watched "The Hours" trailer and realized Claire Danes was actually in the movie.)

I could only find a link to the Japanese version of it (which strangely keeps the voiceover in English).
Old 12-11-03, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally posted by Trigger
"In a world..."
Originally posted by purplechoe
"What if your life..."
"Now, they're only hope..."
Old 12-11-03, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I am more likely to see Stuck on You because it was directed by four-time Academy Award watchers the Farrelly brothers.
Old 12-11-03, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by DRG
...Heck, at least say "Golden Glove winner Claire Danes"
I didn't even know she could box!
Old 12-11-03, 11:30 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Yeah, it's funny when they bring up Matt Damon or Ben Affleck's Oscars when all they are is actors in the film.
Old 12-12-03, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,222 Posts
Louis Gossett Jr. ruined it for everyone.

I'm still waiting for "Featuring the gaffer and best boy grip from Academy Award winner..."
Old 12-12-03, 12:49 AM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Hell, the tag line "starring Johnny deep" always is a clear sell that I will be seeing the film no matter how bad it might have looked or sounded.
Heh. That is pretty much all I need to hear.

I am not interested in hearing about "Academy Award Winner..." in the trailer at all. I often wonder if it is a vanity thing, like that is how the stars want themselves marketed, to you know, sound all serious and sage and the like.
Old 12-12-03, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
...with Academy Award winner, Steven Wright...

Yes, he is!
Old 12-12-03, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
I didn't even know she could box!
Dammit . . . you beat me to it!!
Old 12-12-03, 07:32 AM
Suspended

I really like the "Featuring Academy Award nominee ___" ones, though, for the sake of honesty, I think they should be blunt and say "Featuring Academy Award loser ___".

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.