DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Camcorders that film in widescreen? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/335096-camcorders-film-widescreen.html)

Class316 12-11-03 10:33 AM

Camcorders that film in widescreen?

How can you tell if a specific video camcorder films in wide??

resinrats 12-11-03 11:53 AM

Why would you want it to. Since it is filming for TV, you want it full screen or you are chopping off the top & bottom just for the WS effect.

DonnachaOne 12-11-03 11:55 AM

Well, resin, maybe he has a widescreen tv.

Maybe he has a certain appreciation for the widescreen image.

Maybe it looks really cool.

I'm sure any camcorder will film in widescreen if you matte the lens... ;) but I imagine you want a camera that records anamorphic video?

Class316 12-11-03 12:04 PM

I want one that films in WS as in it records more on the sides, not less from the top and bottom.

al_bundy 12-11-03 12:06 PM

I'm pretty sure my panasonic pvs-g70 has a widescreen feature.

Spooky 12-11-03 12:35 PM

I have a Sony that has this feature.

Class316 12-11-03 12:41 PM

what about JVC?

Jason 12-11-03 01:24 PM

MY Canon GL1 creates a 16:9 anamorphic image in widescreen mode, but since the imaging CCDs are 720x480, there is a slight loss in resolution. Images look great on a widescreen TV, but are scrunched into a square on a regular TV and in the viewfinder, which makes shooting a bit of a challenge.

Some newer camcorders have true 852x480 CCDs for 16X9, and of course HD camcorders will soon be on the market. Check with Profeel or B&H Photo.

fnordboy 12-11-03 01:33 PM

Originally posted by Class316
what about JVC?
I have a JVC, can't remember the model #, and it has a widescreen option. Of course, I don't know if it is just matting it in camera or not. I have not used my camera enough to know, I shoudl really mess around with it some time.

I would think most have this feature since the JVC I picked up was a fairly low-end model.

Dudikoff 12-11-03 01:43 PM

Take a permanent marker and draw a 16x9 rectangle on your cameras LCD display. Then you'll know what you are getting in your widescreen frame and can cut the top and bottom off later.

entitee 12-11-03 02:42 PM

Jason is right, there is loss in resolution with most cameras. Some cheaper cameras only matte the image for the appearance of widescreen but the output is really fullscreen.

The best way to shoot widescreen is to get one of these cameras that allow you to attach different lenses and then use an anamorphic lens.

should this thread be here?

Mr. Salty 12-11-03 03:28 PM

Most camcorders won't film anything at all, although they will tape images. ;)

You would find out what camcorders tape in widescreen the same way you find out about any feature: It'll be listed on the box, the company Web site, brochures, etc.

And yes, this probably ought to be in the hardware area because it has nothing to do with movies.

resinrats 12-11-03 03:29 PM

Originally posted by entitee

The best way to shoot widescreen is to get one of these cameras that allow you to attach different lenses and then use an anamorphic lens.

should this thread be here?

You are still filming fullscreen and just blocking part of the picture if you use a lense.

Hendrik 12-11-03 04:20 PM

Originally posted by resinrats
You are still filming fullscreen and just blocking part of the picture if you use a lense.
...erm... the guy did say: "...and then use an anamorphic lens." (like Lars Von Trier did for that awful movie featuring that awful pixie Icelandic "actress/singer/dancer/songwriter"...)

. . . :o . . .

milo bloom 12-11-03 04:29 PM

Originally posted by resinrats
Which is how a large percentage of movies are made widescreen. It's not just a matter of real estate, it's composition and framing.

And what does Dancer in the Dark have to do with anything? Which, btw, was a mindblowing, gutwrenching, incredibly moving, piece of art.

Hendrik 12-11-03 04:38 PM

Originally posted by milo bloom
...And what does Dancer in the Dark have to do with anything? Which, btw, was a mindblowing, gutwrenching, incredibly moving, piece of art.
...well... your mileage obviously differs *w*i*d*e*l*y* from mine....;).. be that as it may, the "dance-on-the-train" sequence in that "piece of art" was filmed with 24 (or 48, I forget) digital video cameras, each of which was equipped with a genuine anamorphic lens... so, yes resinrats, you are indeed "still filming fullscreen..." but you are NOT "blocking part of the picture" if you use an anamorphic lens.

Deftones 12-11-03 05:43 PM

i think some of the canon dv camcorders do, but i couldn't tell what models they are.

theneobez 12-11-03 05:48 PM

sony digital 8's do, anamorphic and all.

It's good, I like widescreen cinematography better than fullscreen personally.

Hendrik 12-11-03 07:24 PM

Originally posted by theneobez
...It's good, I like widescreen cinematography better than fullscreen personally.
...but... but...but... if you 'film' it in widescreen (I'm talking about widescreen camcorders now, so I should have said: if you videograph it in widescreen) and then show it on a widescreen TV, it WILL BE FULLSCREEN (16:9 or, if you prefer, 1.78:1)... yes...!...

Doctorwho 12-11-03 09:36 PM

http://www.canondv.com/xl1s/a_lenses.html