Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Vertigo - What a Great Movie

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-03, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got around to seeing this classic on DVD. What a greaet movie! Kim Novak was awesome in it..I would recommend it to anyone.
Old 12-09-03, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I watched it for the first time a year ago. Loved the ending.
Old 12-10-03, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I finally saw it during the blizzard here in the northeast over the weekend. I liked it, but didn't love it, but I had such high expectations for it. Very quietly, this placed 2nd to Citizen Kane in the last Sight and Sound poll(versus finishing 61st or so in AFI 100 poll), but I didn't blow me away like Kane did. But I do observe the aftereffects that were much talked about, and the movie does get better and better the more I digest it and think it over. Definately a must see for any film fan I'd say.

But I do have one question, what was the story behind the
Spoiler:
the hotel Scottie follows his friends "wife" to and sees her opening the window on the 2nd floor. What happened there? How and why did she escape? I thought the film was going to take a supernatural turn there. I was pleased to see the real life explanation affored to the bizzarre but that was one lose end that I think I missed an explanation for.
Old 12-10-03, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nature Boy:
Spoiler:
I think Hitchcock left that open to lead the audience down the road of the supernatural thought. (I assume you are talking about scenes before Novak's character is "killed") That's one of those elements I never thought about, but it doesn't really bother me. She could have been hiding somewhere else too.
Old 12-10-03, 11:22 AM

I enjoyed Vertigo a lot more than Citizen Kane.
Old 12-10-03, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yeah, it is pretty good

I used to live in San Francisco so I also enjoyed the locations. I've actually been to some of them.
Old 12-10-03, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DGibFen
Nature Boy:
Spoiler:
I think Hitchcock left that open to lead the audience down the road of the supernatural thought. (I assume you are talking about scenes before Novak's character is "killed") That's one of those elements I never thought about, but it doesn't really bother me. She could have been hiding somewhere else too.
Well...
Spoiler:
It's fun to use spoiler tags for almost 50 year old movies, but I guess we gotta keep it new. Regarding her hiding, that can't fly because the car was gone when he goes upstairs to look for her. And the woman at the hotel said it was a different woman who checked in. Supernatural Macguffin? I suppose, but near the end, I was waiting for that end to be tied up and I wondered if I missed it. It can be taken as, did Scottie dream the incident and follow some ghost car there? I think the scene is there to establish Novak as the brunette when she stands in her hotel window and he goes up to find her, but this time she's no "ghost" and actually there. The ghost he chases then is his verision of his friend's wife. And don't get me wrong, that moment didn't ruin the movie, but I'm left puzzled by it. I'll be rewatching tonight with commentary, and I'll see if it's addressed there.
Old 12-10-03, 04:57 PM

good film...not as good as his others, not as good as the hype. The first hour is very slow, but the story is excellent and of course the ending delivers! I think it would have been better with a different actress playing novak's character...didn't really like her in it...oh well, glad ya finally saw it!

Jason X.
Old 12-10-03, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd call this my very favorite of all time. I absolutely love it! So emotional and perfect. What a score, what an ending, what a movie! Not to mention the incredible performance from James Stewart, my personal favorite performance too.

I love Hitchcock, but this is his only movie that really meant anything in the end, the only one of his films that had an emotional impact on me personally.
Old 12-11-03, 02:39 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by xDareDevilx
I think it would have been better with a different actress playing novak's character...didn't really like her in it...

Jason X.
You almost got your wish - Vera Miles was Hitch's first choice but she dropped out because of pregnancy.

I love Vertigo - definitely in my top 10.
Old 12-11-03, 04:55 AM

Ahh Vertigo. Classic film, classic Hitchcock and not to mention the DVD is excellent.
Old 12-11-03, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Another endorsement for this top-grade Hitchcock movie, and almost flawless masterpiece. Incidentally, it's based on a novel by the French authors who also provided the source material for the classic Diabolique.
Old 12-11-03, 09:10 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by marty888
Incidentally, it's based on a novel by the French authors who also provided the source material for the classic Diabolique.
Interesting - did not know that. Great movie though - nothing short of a masterpiece.
Old 12-11-03, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by The Nature Boy
Well...
Spoiler:
It's fun to use spoiler tags for almost 50 year old movies, but I guess we gotta keep it new. Regarding her hiding, that can't fly because the car was gone when he goes upstairs to look for her. And the woman at the hotel said it was a different woman who checked in. Supernatural Macguffin? I suppose, but near the end, I was waiting for that end to be tied up and I wondered if I missed it. It can be taken as, did Scottie dream the incident and follow some ghost car there? I think the scene is there to establish Novak as the brunette when she stands in her hotel window and he goes up to find her, but this time she's no "ghost" and actually there. The ghost he chases then is his verision of his friend's wife. And don't get me wrong, that moment didn't ruin the movie, but I'm left puzzled by it. I'll be rewatching tonight with commentary, and I'll see if it's addressed there.
Spoiler:
The hotel used to be the place where Carlotta lived, so she has to go there to "establish the link" for Scotty to find. As far as her giving him the slip, Hitchcock uses the opportunity as an excuse to create the supernatural atmosphere, but he didn't intend to fool us into thinking it was a ghost, it was intended to open up our minds to the forthcoming supernatural themes. We can come up with all sorts of speculation as to how she might have entered and left the building "unnoticed," but don't get hung up on that point...
Old 12-11-03, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So the real question is...
Spoiler:
Does Scottie jump at the end?
Old 12-11-03, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DigIt
So the real question is...
Spoiler:
Does Scottie jump at the end?
No, he's far too pragmatic.
Old 12-11-03, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DigIt
Spoiler:
The hotel used to be the place where Carlotta lived, so she has to go there to "establish the link" for Scotty to find. As far as her giving him the slip, Hitchcock uses the opportunity as an excuse to create the supernatural atmosphere, but he didn't intend to fool us into thinking it was a ghost, it was intended to open up our minds to the forthcoming supernatural themes. We can come up with all sorts of speculation as to how she might have entered and left the building "unnoticed," but don't get hung up on that point...
Oh I"m not hung up, just trying to tie up a loose end, and I was more curious to know if I missed something that I was supposed to see there.
Old 12-11-03, 03:29 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I think it would have been better with a different actress playing novak's character...didn't really like her in it...oh well, glad ya finally saw it!
I think a different actress would have been awful. Kim Novak is perfect in that role. She's got such a feral, raw, sexual vibe that makes it so believable that Scottie would develop such an obsession for her. Vera Miles or any of the other Hitchcock blondes were too prim and proper for that role. But Kim, she's a jungle cat!
Old 12-11-03, 03:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I flip-flop at times, but "Vertigo" is definitely one of my top 3 Hitch films ("Notorious" and "Rear Window" being the other two that it regularly mixes it up with). It's simply a perfect blend of Hitchcock's obsessions, his skills with suspense, beautiful cinematography (with some gorgeous, groundbreaking film work being done here) and the PERFECT score. Stewart is perfect and I am a fan of Novak in this picture. Truly one for the ages, and I second and third the praise of the restoration and the disc.
Old 12-11-03, 03:45 PM
Banned

good film...not as good as his others, not as good as the hype. The first hour is very slow, but the story is excellent and of course the ending delivers! I think it would have been better with a different actress playing novak's character...didn't really like her in it...oh well, glad ya finally saw it!

Jason X.

way to long. Rear Window is so much better.
Old 12-11-03, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Scot1458

way to long. Rear Window is so much better.
As usual, Scot, you are wrong. Vertigo is Hitch's best film.

Sorry to be the one to tell you.
Old 12-11-03, 07:57 PM

A great film, permanently in my top 10. The more you think about the details, the stranger it gets.
Old 12-11-03, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

no offense, but when i finally got a chance to see this film all the way thru from the begining (something i was very much looking forward to), i was very underwhelmed.
I'm left scratching my head over how this particular film has attained something like its 'Citizen Kane of pop cult' status.
the big problem i had with it (and i can't believe i'm the only one) was an overabundence of eye rolling moments- including the (c'mon admit it, fellas) absurd conclusion.
that last bit played like a parody to me and provoked an involuntary LOL moment.

there were individual shots int he film that were beautifully composed, classic images, but so much of the film fell into the 'cheat' category to me-very contrived.

i dig the themes in this work, but the execution struck me as really cold and artificial.

someday i will probably have to give it another viewing because of all the good wom like in this thread, but what i saw already didn't impress me.

Last edited by ckolchak; 12-11-03 at 11:39 PM.
Old 12-12-03, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I watched this in a psychology class in High school and really enjoyed it.
Old 12-12-03, 10:57 AM
Banned

Originally posted by movielib
As usual, Scot, you are wrong. Vertigo is Hitch's best film.

Sorry to be the one to tell you.
I love Gen. Stewart.

Vetigo is very beautiful to watch. But the script drags. I enjoyed marnie much more.

Again, Rear Window and The Man who Knew too Much are superior.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.