Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Vertigo - What a Great Movie

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Vertigo - What a Great Movie

Old 12-12-03, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by The Nature Boy
Oh I"m not hung up, just trying to tie up a loose end, and I was more curious to know if I missed something that I was supposed to see there.
Yeah, I don't think you missed anything, it's just one of those loose ends...
Old 12-12-03, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by The Nature Boy
No, he's far too pragmatic.
However...
[spoiler]If you take the bodily pose of Scottie at the end of the movie and compare it with the black silhouette that falls from the tower in the dream sequence, you'll see it's the same. I'm all for chalking it up to 'insignificance,' but it makes you wonder what Hitchcock intended.[/quote]
Old 12-12-03, 04:30 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by ckolchak

someday i will probably have to give it another viewing because of all the good wom like in this thread, but what i saw already didn't impress me.

I get the impression you were watching the film solely as a thriller. Vertigo is, at another level, about how in a relationship we tend to see the other person as how we want to, and then procede to try to change them into that image. I'm sure there's other reasons why people love this film - there's a couple of reviews you can check out before you rewatch this.
Old 12-12-03, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Best film Hitch ever made, and that's saying A LOT!
Old 12-12-03, 07:02 PM
Banned

the big problem i had with it (and i can't believe i'm the only one) was an overabundence of eye rolling moments- including the (c'mon admit it, fellas) absurd conclusion.
CONTAINS MAJOR SPOILERS FOR VERTIGO AND REBECCA

If you're talking about the nun then you must understand that she had to be there to apease the production code which wouldn't allow for Judy to commit suicide (ie. by having the nun scare her and she "accidently" falls Hitch gets away having an implied suicide)

Similarly, Maxime DeWinter in Rebecca really did kill his first wife. This too had to be changed to appease the production code. Her "accidental" death was a contrivance forced upon the film by the code.

So Judy's death is "intended" to be read by the audience as a suicide, and Scotty fulfilled the prophecy that he already went through once with Madeline.

But the nun does add a nice Catholic guilt angle into the story which is a nice autobiographical moment from Hitch. The fact that the ending is both tragic and funny (having a nice little wink to the audience with the nun) is what makes the film so brilliant.

P.S. that ending still has the power to create screams in contemporary audiences. Watching the film in 2000 with a college class, the finale appearance of the nun did successfully elicit screams from a few audience members who hadn't seen the film before.

Last edited by Pants; 12-12-03 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-13-03, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pants, that is exactly what i was alluding to.
whether H was trying to allude to suicide i'm not sure is really pertinent since the sequence is overtly what it is- and it just works patently silly and contrived, imo.
"whoops".
how convienent.

i see this quality in a lot of Hs films-especially once he gets to color- that the 'master of suspense' tends to rely on quite a lot of contrivances to wring out these 'suspenseful moments'.
couple this with a cold directing style (from what i have heard, H was basically concerned more with how the actors accupied the frame...the blocking...more than he was on the emotional content and character of their performances...almost like he was simply moving action figures or manequins around to precisly mimic his storyboards) and i have a hard time 'warming up' to his films (although i adore Shadow Of A Doubt and have a high regard for Notorious).