Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Peter Jackson - "The theatrical versions are the definitive versions."

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Peter Jackson - "The theatrical versions are the definitive versions."

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-03, 09:44 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Suprmallet
Now, Return of the King was amazing. The best film of the year.
I'm wondering what you thought of the character interaction in King, because to me this movie had some of the very problems you had with the Two Towers.
Old 12-18-03, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The same problems I had with TTT Theatrical I had with ROTK Theatrical but to a lesser degree. Editing felt sloppy at times and it was very noticeable that a lot of things felt left out. Although they're longer, the EE's of the movies so far are far more coherent and complete.

PJ the director and promoter has to push ROTK theatrical. There are people who will never warm up to any film that is as complex as LOTR and the Theatrical version is the shortest version possible; besides pressure from the studio and the theatre owners. I believe, like many others, PJ is leaving it up to the fans and the critics to establish the EE's as the definitive versions. And thats what's going to happen. The films true legacy will be on video and the initial excitement during its initial theatrical run.

Everyone I've talked to who's seen the EE's prefer the EE to the Theatrical.

Last edited by Ian11; 12-18-03 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-18-03, 01:10 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Suprmallet

Now, Return of the King was amazing. The best film of the year. But there's so much in it that cries for an extended version, so I think the extended version will end up being the best version of this film.

Under your theory and in my opinion I wouldn't, and can't qualify 'Return of the King' as the best film of the year, for the simple sole reason that many of the film nuiances and character storyline seem to be missing. Initial rough cut of the film ran at four hours in length, I can't wait to see how much (or how little) will make it back in for the Extended Edition of the film.
Old 12-18-03, 04:52 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
To everyone who is saying I'm being inconsistent by saying I felt TTT EE was necessary, and then saying ROTK is the best film of the year:

When I saw TTT theatrically, I liked it a lot. But I didn't feel much of anything other than excitement in the fight scenes. In Return of the King, I felt the whole gamut of emotions. I cried like a little girl at the end. I felt happy, sad, excited, thrilled, angry, and everything in between. And while ROTK did feel incomplete, and I am positive that once I see the EE I will not want to watch the theatrical cut again, that doesn't mean that at this moment, the theatrical cut had a great effect on me, more so than any other movie I've seen this year. Hence, it deserves the title.
Old 12-18-03, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
I think ROTK:EE will solve many "quick scenes" in the theater. PJ may go all out and add another hour, maybe more, of cut scenes.
Old 12-18-03, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm guessing the extended ROTK will be 240 minutes or more, since Jackson has been quoted as saying that their first 'locked' cut was around 4 hours and 15 minutes before they decided to trim it to a more commercial and manageable length. Very easy to believe and very tasty-sounding.
Old 12-19-03, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

prolly depends on how you look at it... the EEs are CLEARLY the best translation of the book.

j
Old 12-19-03, 04:04 AM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

The theatrical versions dont hold a candle to the EEs. Long live the 300 minute version of ROTK!

(i can hope)