Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Is ROTK really a legit Best Picture contender?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-06-03, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Okay. Since the other two have been nominated and lost, I am sure this one will be nominated as well. However, do you think it has a chance to win, or will it be dismissed as another fantasy/popcorn flick?

Just wondering because internet geeks are typically the most let down by Oscar.
Old 12-06-03, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do not expect it to win. I think that the Academy is simply going to be unable to overcome their prejudice against fantasy and sci-fi which arises from a common cultural bias among so called 'artists' and 'intelligentsia.'

The common prediction for those in my camp is that Jackson is a lock for Best Director because no one can dispute his enormous achievement in organizing and realizing this massive project.

Of course it will collect more in the technical categories and possibly Adapted Screenplay (a likely travesty if it doesn't). Acting is a big variable, although the buzz on Astin's performance as Sam is very hot.

If I am proven wrong on the Best Pic question, so much the better. But realistically: this series will make billions in income for 'the company' when all is said and done, and be loved by film fans for ages, so what do a few statues really mean in the larger scheme of things? If the 'popular choice' doesn't get the award again, all it does is make the A.M.P.A.S. look even more ridiculous to a lot of people--if that's even possible.

Last edited by Jepthah; 12-06-03 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-06-03, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bro, not that I've seen all the films out there, but this film is standing at a 62% chance of winning. Serious.
Old 12-06-03, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

While I agree that the bias against the genre is there, I don't think it is too much of an issue for these films. They are critically lauded and both of the first films were nominated for best pic. They're enormously successful, and this is the last one. If anything I suspect that this movie will win not only because of its quality but because of all the films. I feel that many will see voting for this movie as a way to reward the whole series. It's chances are...very high.
Old 12-06-03, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Seems like some of the movies that were hyped as "big contenders" have fallen a bit short critically (Last Samurai, The Missing), so it certainly has a shot. I'd be surprised as hell if it didn't get a nomination, at least.
Old 12-06-03, 06:07 PM

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts
With all else that's in contention (not much, IMO), then I'd say yes...ROTK has a solid chance of not only being nominated, but taking home the statue.
Old 12-06-03, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Sierra Disc
Seems like some of the movies that were hyped as "big contenders" have fallen a bit short critically (Last Samurai, The Missing), so it certainly has a shot. I'd be surprised as hell if it didn't get a nomination, at least.
I think there is absolutely no chance it will not get double-digit nominations.

But you have to remember that as in every year each film will have its passionate supporters. It's still an open question whether the people impressed by ROTK will extend to the most members of the academy in all the different sections who vote for best pic. As popular as it is, (and that sometimes counts against a movie's chances) as critically praised as it is, the Academy above all likes to award films that represent it's own desired "image." Cold Mountain falls right in line with the sort of film they have always awarded in the past--historical, big marquee stars, 'high minded.' And Weinstein is an absolute Oscar machine, or more accurately, Oscar-whore. He stops at nothing to collect the golden boys.

Again, I'd love to be proven wrong, but no matter how great ROTK may be I just can't see the Academy dropping their pretension. It would be a monumental award for a monumental movie, and open the floodgates for all sorts of attitudes toward sci-fi and fantasy to change within the industry.
Old 12-06-03, 11:43 PM

Yes, it is a legitimate contender.

Don't believe me. Try these quotes:

"Sure to be an Oscar contender in many categories and a breathtaking argument for director Peter Jackson winning every award there is to give" -- Hollywood Reporter

"A "King" that earns its crown, Peter Jackson's final installment in his monumental "The Lord of the Rings" represents that filmmaking rarity -- a third part of a trilogy that is decisively the best of the lot....

All the outstanding technical and craft achievements that have been duly honored in the previous installments are at least equaled and sometimes trumped here... There has been no let-up in creativity, only intensification.

Similarly, certain members of the cast take advantage of the fresh dramatic opportunities to deepen their characterizations...

So Jackson has done it. After seven years of work, the young New Zealander has pulled off one of the most ambitious and phenomenally successful dream projects of all time" -- Variety

These are the hardened Hollywood trade papers we're talking about, not random fanboys running off at the mouth.
Old 12-07-03, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I expect it to win simply because it is the third, it's last chance to take home an award. The main reason why it didn't get the nod the last two times was simply because the voters knew there would be another next year.
Old 12-07-03, 09:03 PM

Okay, part of me does not want ROTK to win Best Picture.

Why? Because it tends to kill the film in our minds. How many Best picture winners in the last 10 years are actually still thought of or loved the way they were upon theuir release?

Schindler's List, perhaps. Anything else? Where is the love for 'Beautiful Mind,' or 'English Patient,' or 'Titanic' ? No where. Because they have become altered in our minds. Because of the award? Doubt it? But I can give you a list of films that will last and do well that were not nominated or if nominated, won- 'Traffic,' 'Pianist,' 'Pulp Fiction,' LA Confidential, FOTR...

We may all want Peter Jackson and company to win- but there is a price for victory, and that price may be our love. We should be careful about what we wish for...
Old 12-07-03, 09:16 PM

If a movie winning Best Picture makes you dislike it, then you are seriously messed up. Do you hate Lawrence of Arabia or The Godfather just because someone awarded them a statue of a little gold man?
Old 12-07-03, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'd like to see RoTK win best picture because it deserves it. Who cares what perceptions it might create. I think the people who profess hatred to many best picture winners didn't like the movie in the first place. Just when it became lauded, their voice became louder in opposition. I myself, stil think Titanic, Braveheart, Silence of the Lambs, are still excellent movies.

Now, should RoTK win best pic? Well, I haven't seen the damn thing so who knows. But, going off the quality of the first two I suspect I might be in that camp. Especially considering the achievement of the first two films. And quite frankly nothing else has the steam to match. It's too early to tell, but Cold Mountain doesn't seem to be knocking peoplle out of their seats, Last Smaurai good but not gonna do it I don't think.

Regading the bias against fantasy...I really don't think it's going to matter much. These movies have proven themselves I believe. Tow best pic noms show that. And, unless Big Fish is just utterly amazing, I don't see what else is going to take it. Remember, the academy might have a bias against this type of movie, but it LOVES mega grossing epics, which this movie also is. So you never know.
Old 12-07-03, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I didn't think so before either, but after sizing ROTK's competition, I think that it now has a very good chance.

Compare it to:

Cold Mountain - some excellent reviews have been coming out, but the problem with the film is that neither of its leads are getting any positive buzz (Except for Zellweger). Plus, some critics outright hate the film - something that won't happen with ROTK. It depends on the Miramax machine - can they pull of a surprise? Maybe.

The Last Samurai - the reviews have been quite ugly - a 57 on metacritic and 61% at Rottentomatoes attest to that. The audience seems to like it, but the weaker than expected box office doesn't help matters.

Big Fish - some excellent reviews, but the buzz is VERY late - perhaps too late for it to catch up. Also, it is missing from the early awards and Top Ten list.

Master and Commander - very positive reviews, but the audience somehow isn't as into it. Box office hasn't been lighting up either.

Mystic River - by far ROTK's biggest competitor. Sean Penn, IMO WILL get Best Actor. However, the film is very heavy and has some detractors. Also, Clint, while much loved, already won a spade back with "Unforgiven". The Academy may want to give it to someone who's missed it 2 times on a row. And that person is Peter Jackson.

In America - the small film that will tug heartstrings and go on to score a Best Picture nom. But it is also too small to win the big award.
Old 12-08-03, 07:28 AM

If ROTK doesn't win, it will be a crime. It doesn't change my perception of the movie, or any movie for that matter, at all. It's time Peter Jackson was given his due!! Whether or not you're a LOTR fan or not, you cannot deny the quality of this trilogy.
Old 12-08-03, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's my two cents.....

Peter Jackson better win the Best Director because he did the best for all three movies. He deserves it and if he doesnt get it, its a crime.

True, fantasy films have never won the oscar but Lord of the Rings should be the exception.
Old 12-08-03, 09:54 AM
Suspended

RotK if it's as good as we're expecting, will definately deserve best picture and jackson definately deserves best director.

But, the reason there might be "prejudice" for fantasy films is just that up till now all fantasy films sucked. Seriously. Sure, there's people who love Conan, or Willow, or Legend or whatever else, but they're just a handful of people when you look at the bigger picture. In my opinion up until now fantasy movies were most of all boring and/or had terrible acting (usually both). The 3 I mentioned above are perfect examples. And for the record, by fantasy I mean your typical dungeons & dragons & wizards & elves kind of story. There have been other movies out there that mix fantasy with other elements that have been ok.. but really when you look at it, fantasy movies have always sucked. till now, thank god
Old 12-08-03, 12:59 PM

If nothing else, Jackson deserves Best Director for this monumental achievement.
Old 12-08-03, 01:06 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I think it's hard to award these films "Best Picture" because they feel incomplete...which technically, they are...this was produced as one big long film, not three smaller films.

Return of the King has a better chance than its predecessors if only because it has a definite conclusion.
Old 12-08-03, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Movie_Man
If nothing else, Jackson deserves Best Director for this monumental achievement.
That's what I figure will happen at the Oscars. ROTK will probably take some technical awards, but won't win any big prizes other than Best Director.
Old 12-08-03, 06:26 PM

I think in addition to best director, PJ and the cast & crew deserve some kind of special recognition for the whole trilogy. A special achievement award or something. These films are more than epic, they are monumentaly big fat huge masterpieces. After watching the making of features on the EE DVD's, I was stunned by all of the work the cast and crew did on these movies. They went the extra mile on every detail and it shows. I really hope ROTK wins best picture.
Old 12-09-03, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by Inverse
If a movie winning Best Picture makes you dislike it, then you are seriously messed up. Do you hate Lawrence of Arabia or The Godfather just because someone awarded them a statue of a little gold man?
Okay, I'll clarify my thoughts a little more. Winning Best Picture does not make me hate a film. However, the films that do win Best Picture have become targets for mockery and scorn and become forgotten as the great works of film some of them are. I do not want this fate to befall any of the Lord of the Rings movies.

And the two you mentioned above are [I]great[I] friggin movies.
Old 12-09-03, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hope it wins - not that it really means much, but I think it would be cool for PJ and the boys to get something more than box office records since they deserve it.

Aren't the Oscars about dedication to film? If so, then no one deserves the statues more than the people who worked on this trilogy, in my opinion.

I like movies that win Oscars, I like movies that don't. I think it's crazy for people to hate a movie because it a) wins an award or b) is popular.
Old 12-09-03, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 167 Posts
Impossible question to answer since I haven't seen the movie yet

Duh.
Old 12-09-03, 07:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I think RoTK will win Best Picture.

...and Peter Jackson will win Best Director.

The reason is simple: the Academy will pretty much give Best Picture and Best Director to The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King as a cumulative award for all three films. They're not going to ignore what is one of the landmark achievements in motion picture history.

I also expect the Academy to honor WETA Digital with technical Oscars for its groundbreaking work with CGI special effects.
Old 12-09-03, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: I think RoTK will win Best Picture.

Originally posted by RayChuang
...and Peter Jackson will win Best Director.

The reason is simple: the Academy will pretty much give Best Picture and Best Director to The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King as a cumulative award for all three films. They're not going to ignore what is one of the landmark achievements in motion picture history.

I also expect the Academy to honor WETA Digital with technical Oscars for its groundbreaking work with CGI special effects.
On the first point, you're priming yourself for a letdown.

On the second point, you're probably right. The Matrix might have given ROTK a run for its money this year if industry people didn't dislike the films as much as they do.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.