Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Man Bites Dog - Like nothing I've ever seen before

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-03, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally got around to seeing this the other day. For those who don't know, it's a Belgian film that uses a documentary style and follows the daily routines of a serial killer named Benoit. At first the filmmakers are left unseen behind the camera, but as the movie progresses, they become active participants in Benoit's random murders. This was the greatness of the film for me - seeing this film crew losing all objectivity of their subject and becoming accomplices to murder.

There are some moments in this movie that are like nothing I've ever seen in my life. One particular murder made my jaw hit the floor -
Spoiler:
the smothering of the young child in his bedroom.
Totally gut wrenching. I almost felt sick seeing it. But still, I get enjoyment out of feeling things I've never felt before during a movie.

And throughout everything, the film carries a dark - rather, pitch black - sense of humor. This "humor" comes mainly from the contrast of Benoit's actions with his nonchalant and likeable personality. He truly seems to have no sense of right or wrong. It's oddly comical, yet frightening at the same time.

I wouldn't recommend this movie to anyone except those who get enjoyment from being shocked, and can find humor in dark, dark, dark subject matter. If that sounds like you at all, do yourself a favor and see this.

Last edited by caiman; 12-03-03 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-03-03, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've heard it's really good but just haven't been able to bring myself to watch it

-Gunshy
Old 12-03-03, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah the cover kinda turned me off to seeing the movie

Old 12-04-03, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

too expensive for a blind buy for me...

but i do eager t see it
Old 12-04-03, 08:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I rented this years ago when it came out on VHS and dubbed a copy of it (don't arrest me!) I later wore the tape out from watching it. This flick is HILARIOUS, and the Criterion is a NICE set.
Old 12-04-03, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Also note that there is a prequel coming out pretty soon..
Old 12-04-03, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by LivingINClip
Also note that there is a prequel coming out pretty soon..
Expound!
Old 12-05-03, 08:55 AM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts
I rented this years ago and did not care for it all. Not sure why, just not my cup o' tea.
Old 12-05-03, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
Yeah the cover kinda turned me off to seeing the movie

I remember renting this when it came out originally - but it didn't have the bloodied pacifier(!!) on the cover like that... just the guy with the gun.

Turned it off halfway through - just a nasty, unpleasant film - I couldn't see any redeeming qualities...
Old 12-05-03, 03:11 PM

We are fortunate enough that our library pretty much orders every Criterion on DVD. I come across many movies I would have never heard of, and also ones that are not available at Hollywood Video and Blockbuster, where I have not been for three years. Having a two year old, this might be a little too much for me, but I appreciate the recommendation, and have put this movie on hold!
Old 12-05-03, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Spoiler:
Well the part where the camera men take part in a rape
really turned me off. Not to mention the spoiler in the first post.
Old 12-06-03, 12:15 PM

yeah , i 've seen bits and pieces of this film...hnaven't seen it all yet...i really enjoyed what i've seen and can't wait to see it all! Hilarious stuff...i'm noticing that i'm kind of inconsistent with these types of films....loved this, and requiem for a dream, but hated trainspotting(mainly because it was disturbing) and found it hard to get through a clockwork orange. haha oh well

Jason X.
Old 12-07-03, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This is an awesome film. It can be a bit gruesome to watch. It definitely feels real, which makes it all the more captivating. You feel dirty watching it and that's why it's such a great film.

Spoiler:
the scene in the stairwell with the other film crew is classic
Old 12-07-03, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by monkeyboy
You feel dirty watching it and that's why it's such a great film.
Well, wait, that can't be why it's such a great film. There has to be something more. I'm sure there are snuf films worse than this, but you wouldn't call them great--even if they made you feel twice as dirty.

So what's the allure? Is it like Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer with the violence compounded and the audacity upped?

Just curious.
Old 12-12-03, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I finally saw the movie, even though I ownded the Criterion since May! I bought it blind for a cheap price so Ive been putting it off since I dont live alone and I wanted to watch it in privacy first to test the waters.

Well its a pretty damn good movie. I loved when they saw the other film crew and killed them. Plus how the stupid camera men started helping out and just not caring.

The part that was ****ed up was the rape scene though. It wasnt that disturbing cause it wasnt as violent as a real rape, but still wrong. Everything else didnt feel too bad; even the old lady and kid murders.

I got confused on some parts though. Why the hell did Benoit dream about being naked running on a beach? Was it even a dream? Also, Why did the crew give the exact same eulogy for the two differnet sound guys that were murdered? Also, who turned in Benoit? The camera guys, the mailman who got away, or did he get caught killing someone? Thats kind of a big hole. Also, are we to assume that they were all killed by Giovanii's brother?

Either way, it was an interesting film.

Last edited by Ravenous; 12-12-03 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-12-03, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

it's very funny, and also extremely violent. my first time seeing it was on a UR but cut tape. i prefer the cut i saw as what is added ruins the darkly funny tone that has come before it.

it's one of my favorite films.

since it is filmed as a doc, benoit on the beach is not a dream.
the eulogy is a gag, think spinal tap drummers.
i don't recall how he was caught, if it was seen then it wasn't with the crew and therefore could not be filmed.
i think your last assumption is correct.

as a side note, i didn't find the rape to be bad at all. it still didn't really fit in the prior tone, but i guess a large part of the film is the crew becoming like benoit. but the aftermath of the rape, now that was uncalled for.
Old 12-12-03, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One of my favorite movies for sure. Like Caiman stated, the serial killer's detachment and "matter of factly" approach to his work was what got to me. The movie doesn't justify his behavior with some cliché from his childhood that made him turn this way; he just IS that way.

The way the killer explains his methods for killing or disposing of corpses the way a chef explains a recipe; with detail and enthusiasm !

As a viewer I laughed at the early stages of the movie's violent scenes but my laughter got more nervous towards the end when I felt more like a passive accomplice than a simple viewer.

Like I said, great flick but I wouldn't watch it every day for a month
Old 12-12-03, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the reviews! this sounds like a movie i'd really enjoy.
Old 02-26-06, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm not one to overthink movies. But did not anyone think that Ben was an allegory for God, or the government?

He seemed to know what was best for everyone, he avoided dealing with children when he could, he did whatever he wanted, and for the most part, there were no consequences. I know the movie is part send-up of media fascination with its subjects but I thought this was an interesting angle.
Old 02-26-06, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its been a long time since I've seen this movie but it still pops in my head every now and then. It's just done so incredibly well.
Old 02-26-06, 11:55 PM

Great movie, hilarious and shocking.
Old 02-27-06, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
Sounds interesting. I added it to my Netflix queue to check out.