Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Chabrol's "La Fleur du Mal" (The Flower of Evil)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-03, 10:38 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw this yesterday and I quite liked it, though it might be for Chabrol fans only. I myself haven't watched too many Chabrol films but, in my book, he's a don't-miss director.

Flower of Evil is very reminiscent of the last Chabrol film Merci Pour le Chocolat. Both involve a bourgeois family with dark secrets in the past haunting incidents of the present. In 'Flower' the past seems very complicated and it was mostly unexplained. I guess by comparison 'Chocolat' is the better film if only because it has the great Isabelle Huppert.

Spoiler Comments (since I know most people haven't seen this yet.)
Spoiler:
Am I the only one who thought the relationship between Francois and Michele was disturbing? They were first cousins and the film hints they might be related even more closely. I guess incest runs in the family. There seemed to be a lot to this back-story since Francois says at one point that the two families have loved each other for 5-6 generations. I left the film wanting it to go on which is a good sign.

7/10
Old 12-03-03, 11:13 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I thought it was brillantly acted and intriquing character development but the story on the other hand was problematic, it never seemed to make up it's mind if it wanted to be a thriller or a drama - the combination never really worked (well at least to me). Also, the movie on the whole never came across as memorable. Am curious to watch other Chabrol films, but this one was a tad overcriticized.
Old 12-03-03, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
This is a new movie by Chabrol? I thought he was dead.
Old 12-03-03, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by slop101
This is a new movie by Chabrol? I thought he was dead.
...no, he ain't dead (the man is barely 73 years old)...
...here's a review...

. . . . . .
Old 08-13-08, 10:30 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
I thought it was brillantly acted and intriquing character development but the story on the other hand was problematic, it never seemed to make up it's mind if it wanted to be a thriller or a drama - the combination never really worked (well at least to me). Also, the movie on the whole never came across as memorable. Am curious to watch other Chabrol films, but this one was a tad overcriticized.
Massive bump.

I just got around to watching this last week, and the above pretty much sums up my opinion. I would consider this to be below average Chabrol, a good film compared to most efforts by other directors, but not all that impressive when compared to Les Bonnes Femmes, La Ceremonie, Les Biches, or Le Boucher.
Old 08-13-08, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
I really like Le Boucher, and it's probably Charbo's best film (that I've seen) - it helps that I'm in absolute lust with '70s era Stephane Audran.