Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Last Samurai - THE movie to beat in 2003

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Last Samurai - THE movie to beat in 2003

Old 11-29-03, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Hand Account: The Last Samurai - THE movie to beat in 2003

Just got back from a special sneek preview here in Connecticut of the Last Samurai...and I couldn't help myself from coming on this board and telling y'all that this IS the movie to beat this year. It was so, SO, incredibly awesome. Poignant, romantic, funny (who would've thought), excellently paced, awesome battle sequences that actually have you on the edge of your seat because of how much you care about the characters (you WILL care about these characters). It is the perfect mix of action and story.

Go see it. What a beautiful, powerful movie.

Last edited by SteveyP93; 11-29-03 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-29-03, 09:55 PM

I just got back from a veiwing also. Great movie, Great acting. Palm sweating action scenes. I rarely feel for the characters in any movie but Trust me the character development is DEEP. The action scenes will make you grip your hand like a fist. Tom Cruise's performance is an A+. After the movie you will truly feel the culture of the japanese samurai. Go see ASAP.
aNYONE else catch the trailer for TROY. The aramada of ships in the beginning is overwhelming.
Old 11-29-03, 10:44 PM
Banned

The movie to beat this year? 10 words....

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Old 11-29-03, 11:09 PM

I agree from what im hearing LOTR-ROTK will be the movie of the year but this movie should be #2.
Old 11-29-03, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts
Just got back as well.

Agreed, #1 of 2003 thus far.

Absolutely amazing film, and oddly inspirational (wasting my life on IRC is fun shit.) Excellent cinematography, acting, pacing, plotting, action, gore, character development, locales, emoting, and story aside, it was downright entertaining.

Reminded me a little of Gangs of New York, only better put together (didn't detrack at any point). With a lead you'd never pick for the movie (Leo for GoNY and Cruise for LS) actually managing to pull it off pretty well.

Totally against Cruise for the role but I'll be damned if I didn't buy into it within 15 minutes. It's been an excellent year for Japan-based american films
Old 11-30-03, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also saw the preview. Great movie. Great acting. Great script. Great director. Ed Zwick is back in form. It's hard to compare this film with others like "Lost In Translation" or ROTK. Let's just say it's one of the year's best.
Old 11-30-03, 05:37 AM
Banned

Oh god this is great news...along with ROTK and the 2 Matrix movies...this is my most anticipated movie of the year...

Last edited by QuiGonJosh; 11-30-03 at 05:40 AM.
Old 11-30-03, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts
My mom keeps bugging me to go see it opening night, because she saw Tom Cruise on Oprah. rolleyes She wants to go see it but needs to know if she can handle the battle scenes. She gets a little sqeamish at that kinda stuff.

No prob. Looks pretty good.
Old 11-30-03, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Saw this also at the Preview last night & have to offer a different view. I will say that Tom Cruise was BRILLIANT in this movie. However the movie itself was not brilliant. I enjoyed the movie a lot, however 3 things hurt the movie for me & really kept it from being a masterpiece. Huge spoiler below. . .

One:

Spoiler:
The over the top annoying Hollywood ending. An epic battle with gigantic new machine guns mowing down every Samurai in sight & they all (except one on the shoulder) happen to miss Tom Cruise & allow time for Cruise to have a lenghty quite scene with Katsumoto. It was just way too sappy & over the top.

Two:

Spoiler:
Tom Cruise not only betrayed his country, but he he fought against them in battle, even killing a general. There is no way he would have been allowed, face to face, with the Emperor of Japan, let alone face to face carrying a weapon as he did, after all that. Again, this was just too much of a sappy, over the top Hollywood ending to me

And three:

Spoiler:
The movie should have spent more time with Cruise falling in love with the Samurai culture while he was captive there. That to me was the heart & soul of the movie, I could have watched that part for hours alone & it just felt rushed to me. Like it was all in rushed little vignettes, rather than slowly unfolding how this fallen American hero finds redemption in the Samurai culture.

All that aside, it is still a truly captivating film & I did love the movie. I was shocked at how good the fights were with Tom Cruise, they were simply amazing. I mean blown away how good Cruise is in this movie. I cannot think of any actor that has grown more than him in every single film he does. Ken Watanabe is wonderful as well. It's one of the best period piece movies in recent years, but it could have been absolutely classic IMO, but the ending really & the lack of focus on the main part of the movie kept this movie from being an All-time great.

Last edited by Sessa17; 11-30-03 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-30-03, 11:06 AM

hmm, guess I should have seen the DC premier last Monday with Edward Zwick and Marshall Herskovitz in attendence, oh well, guess I am just gonna have to wait til Friday.
Old 11-30-03, 12:06 PM
Banned

Shogun's gotten together with Dances With Wolves and had a kid.

rental
Old 11-30-03, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks to some of the reviews here, I might actually go see it.

Still hoping that ROTK wins best picture, however.
Old 11-30-03, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Kudama
Shogun's gotten together with Dances With Wolves and had a kid.

rental
Thanks for the cliched insight. Did you actually see the movie.
Old 11-30-03, 02:34 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
My brother saw the sneak peek of this last night and said it was fantastic. I initially had my doubts about this one, but definitely planon seeing it now.
Old 11-30-03, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Sessa17
It's one of the best period piece movies in recent years, but it could have been absolutely classic IMO, but the ending really & the lack of focus on the main part of the movie kept this movie from being an All-time great.
I thought that most of the movie DID have Cruise spend most of the time in the village. I thought the war part was short. I'm not sure this movie is a "masterpiece" either, though. I think it would have been a masterpiece if
Spoiler:
Algren had died with Katsumoto on the battlefield as blood brothers like the characters in Glory. They could have had the scene with the Emperor turning down the treaty without Cruise's character.

I'm totally convinced that this movie poster would be the best DVD cover:

But you know that they can't resist using Cruise's mug though.

Last edited by jarofclay73; 11-30-03 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-30-03, 03:33 PM

That's good to hear. I love period films....(done right of course). Hopefully it'll be like watching Braveheart all over again for the first time.
Old 11-30-03, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This Hollywood reporter review seems to agree:
http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mymod/hdln/vr...ilm_samurai_dc
Old 11-30-03, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by jarofclay73
I thought that most of the movie DID have Cruise spend most of the time in the village. I thought the war part was short. I'm not sure this movie is a "masterpiece" either, though. I think it would have been a masterpiece if
Spoiler:
Algren had died with Katsumoto on the battlefield as blood brothers like the characters in Glory. They could have had the scene with the Emperor turning down the treaty without Cruise's character.

I'm totally convinced that this movie poster would be the best DVD cover:

But you know that they can't resist using Cruise's mug though.
That ending definitely would have been better. That poster rules, I've had it framed on my wall for months.
Old 12-01-03, 12:59 AM
Banned

Was it better than Mision Impossible II?
Old 12-01-03, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wonder why asian groups aren't protesting this movie because this is a movie where Tom Cruise is portrayed as asian (from what I have seen in the trailers, remeber all the fuss about the Charilie Chan movies)
Old 12-01-03, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Rypro 525
I wonder why asian groups aren't protesting this movie because this is a movie where Tom Cruise is portrayed as asian (from what I have seen in the trailers, remeber all the fuss about the Charilie Chan movies)
I'm pretty sure he plays a Westerner brought in to train the samurai in Japan. Tom Cruise isn't exactly a guy who can get away with playing anything other than... white.
Old 12-01-03, 11:38 AM

Oh man...you actually thought from the trailer that Cruise is playing an Asian...what a farce...

He is a broken down American war hero brought into Japan to help modernize their army.
Old 12-01-03, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why does one film have to "beat" another?
Old 12-01-03, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
How is the music for this movie? An epic needs to have a good score IMO.
Old 12-01-03, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Rypro 525
Someone needs to watch the trailers again

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.