Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Batman's Excellent Casting Continues...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Batman's Excellent Casting Continues...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-03, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only way I see two villians working is if one is a background villian, something that highlights something that could happen. Example, let's say Ra Al Ghul is indeed in it, but just as a cameo or small part, that way something is set up for the two sequels that are already confirmed.
Old 12-14-03, 08:41 AM
Banned

I'd like it if they treated the villian like the Shark in Jaws...you never see him til the end...you always see what happens when he says or does something...but you never see him til Batman fights him or whatnot...
Old 12-14-03, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Jericho
It's tough to really call Catwoman a cillan though. She sort of lives in the gray zone between good and bad. Having two people fight Batman is tougher. If you add villans, you have to add sidekicks. That's the Batman rule
In the comic books as of late, Catwoman has given up crime and is working with Batman. (I think Batman even brought her into the inner sanctum - he's now overseeing a team of heros in Gotham - Robin, Batwoman(girl?), Nightwing appears from time to time, The Huntress, Oracle (Barbra Gordon), and possibly one other I can't think of)
Old 12-14-03, 08:53 AM
Suspended

Just because they're casting more than one villain doesn't mean that all the villains are center stage in the way they were in the last several Batman movies. I'll use the first Burton one as an example. You had Jack Nicholson cast as a villain, but you also had Jack Palance and Tracey Walter as villains, as well. But Nicholson was clearly "the one". So, if they can establish that in the new one, with one main villain and some supporting ones, I'll have no problem.
Old 02-09-04, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Let's add Max Shreck to Tom's little list...
Old 02-09-04, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Latest rumor is Morgan Freeman for Commisioner Gordon and Guy Pearce for Harvey Dent.
Old 02-19-04, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
From Cinescape.com...

Variety reports today that Liam Neeson and Morgan Freeman are confirmed to be in the cast for Christopher Nolan's BATMAN film. The trade magazine also connects the dots and lists Neeson's character as the whispered heavy the Internet's been buzzing about for months, R'as al Ghul. Freeman will play Lucius Fox, another already rumored character, who is the CEO of Wayne Enterprises.

The excellent casting continues!
Looking forward to this one, more and more!
Old 02-23-04, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Updated the first post with the latest news... Ken Watanabe as Ra's Al Ghul
Old 02-24-04, 12:42 AM

I love the director, and everyone cast so far except holmes (but she's cute so who really cares), I feel like this movie has the potential to be the best superhero movie of all time, I can't wait
Old 02-24-04, 02:51 AM
Banned

Who is Henri Ducard?

This has got to be one of the best ensemble casts ever! All Batman movies in general have huge celebrity casts...I can't wait for the promo character posters....there will probably be at least 10 or so with all the celebs and characters they have for this one...
Old 02-24-04, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by fumanstan
Updated the first post with the latest news... Ken Watanabe as Ra's Al Ghul
Isn't that the guy from Space Travelers? I'm having a hard time digesting the idea of a new batman movie... didn't like any of the last series of em, but it doesn't feel like it's been long enough for me to wash the taste of them out of my mouth. Perhaps a trailer will change my mind. I have little faith in Christian Bale as an actor in general, but I won't write this off just yet. Oh - and Michael Caine?? Shit, he's in like every movie ever made. Seems like an odd choice... why not just make James Caan or Sean Connery be Alfred? Lance Henrickson? I think Alfred should be some unknown old guy, but that's just me.
Old 02-24-04, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Hmm.. not bad, not what I was expecting, but that can be a good thing.
Old 02-24-04, 12:35 PM

http://www.zap2it.com/movies/news/st...-20596,00.html

Viggo Denies 'Batman' Rumors
Mon, Feb 23, 2004, 05:02 PM PT
By Vanessa Sibbald

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - A couple months ago, rumors circulated that Viggo Mortensen might play a role in the upcoming "Batman" sequel, "Batman: Intimidation."

Directed by Christopher Nolan and based on a script he co-wrote with David Goyer ("Blade"), the fifth movie based on the DC Comics cape-wearing crime fighter re-envisions the franchise, partially basing the story on Frank Miller's popular comic book, "Batman: Year One" -- itself a redefinition of the Batman origin story -- and Mike Barr's "Batman: Year Two."

Christian Bale will play the lead character in the film, Bruce Wayne (AKA Batman), with Michael Caine playing his butler Alfred Pennyworth and Katie Holmes as the love interest, Rachel Dobson, assistant to Gotham's District Attorney Harvey Dent. In addition, "28 Days Later" star Cillian Murphy will play the villain, The Scarecrow, and trade reports announced last week that Morgan Freeman has signed on to play Wayne Enterprises' Applied Science Dept. head Lucius Fox, while Liam Neeson will play Henry Ducard, a mentor to Bruce who is also villain Ra's Al Ghul's protigi. Dennis Quaid is reportedly "close" to signing a deal to play Jim Gordon, the Gotham City beat cop that will one day become police commissioner, according to Cinescape, while others say "The Last Samurai's" Ken Watanabe is in talks to play the film's leading villain, Ra's Al Ghul.

Mortensen's involvement came from an interview with Cain last December when the actor told SciFi Wire that Nolan was eyeing "The Lord of the Rings" star to play a villain in the film. Yet Mortensen himself says that he is not involved in the project.

"I'm not signed up to do anything at this point, but I guess there was interest from them and other people. But at the moment I'm not available because I'm involved [in doing press for 'Hidalgo']," he tells Zap2it.com.

"Batman: Intimidation" starts filming Feb. 25 (tomorrow) in Iceland, according to Web reports, and will open in theaters in 2005.

Chris
Old 02-24-04, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
on Katsumoto
Old 02-24-04, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dang. (Must resist nagging feeling about possible suckiness of Batman film...)
Old 02-24-04, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Kal Jedi
on Katsumoto
I conquer.
Old 02-24-04, 10:11 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I conquer.
As do I. I'm glad to see Cillian Murphy will be in it too.
Old 02-25-04, 08:06 AM

It's a shame Liam Neeson is not going to play the Ra Al Ghul part. He would of been the perfect choice....Ken is a decent, if not odd choice.

Only two casting choices I really don't understand are Katie Holmes and Michael Caine.
Old 02-25-04, 10:41 AM

Originally posted by SomeVoices
As do I. I'm glad to see Cillian Murphy will be in it too.
Me, too.

And he can act, too!
Old 02-25-04, 10:55 AM

Boy he and Tom Welling could be twins!

Chris
Old 02-25-04, 12:21 PM

The more I think about it, the more I like Ken as Ra al Ghul. He was great in 'The Last Samurai' and he has the physical apperance to seem intimdating, to even Bale.

However, why cast such big people as Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine and Dennis Quiad? It seems like they are just signing them so they have an all-star cast, something that really hurt the previous Batman films.
Old 02-25-04, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Originally posted by LivingINClip
However, why cast such big people as Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine and Dennis Quiad? It seems like they are just signing them so they have an all-star cast, something that really hurt the previous Batman films.
There's nothing wrong with an All Star cast as long as they're taking the material seriously and aren't there for looks to say, "Hey I was in a Batman movie."

I really doubt it'll be comical like Tommy Lee Jones or over-the-top like Jim Carrey. I think it'll be taken a lot more seriously. Look at Any Given Sunday or Heat which had a boat load of stars.
Old 02-25-04, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by devilshalo
There's nothing wrong with an All Star cast as long as they're taking the material seriously and aren't there for looks to say, "Hey I was in a Batman movie."

I really doubt it'll be comical like Tommy Lee Jones or over-the-top like Jim Carrey. I think it'll be taken a lot more seriously. Look at Any Given Sunday or Heat which had a boat load of stars.
I agree. The all star cast wasn't the problem in those films. The problem was the use of multiple characters, where everyone was the lead, and Batman wasn't. 60 villians, 50 good guys, and no coherent plot. This time around, it seems like you have a solid story, and that the WB is using its boatloads of money to the tune of 150 million dollars to make this cast incredible. Let us not forget that this is Warner's signature franchise. While they are taking the movie to a more respectable area, they are NOT making a low budget movie. They want this film to amke lots of money, and of course are going to try and draw as much marketing muscle as they can. And you know what? I'll take these actors anyday...they may be famous, but they are GOOD actors.
Old 02-25-04, 07:09 PM

Surprising, but excellent casting choice. Watanabe's got the physique, the charm, and especially the voice to play Ra's. I can't wait to hear him say, "Detective..."
Old 02-26-04, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
From Superhero Hype:

"It's not BATMAN: INTIMIDATION GAME, which we've now learned was the project's pre-production code name during its early development cycle. Now that Nolan's film is moving into the active phase of its production, this title will be what Warner Bros. will be refering to the film during the duration of its shoot (which begins next month) and as it moves ever forward towards its release in the summer of 2005. Let the rumors be finally put to rest: The official title of the movie is BATMAN BEGINS."

I kind of like Intimidation better then Batman Begins. Hopefully we'll get a better name before it's release.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.